Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Second part of Maui Vacation: Where to Stay: North Shore, Upcountry, Hana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Brand new to posting, but have read many posts for great travel advice! Hope your lovely community can steer me in the right direction.

My boyfriend and I will be in Maui in mid August for 10 days. We already have the first part of our lodging booked, at the Westin Resort Villas in Ka'anapali. However, we will have four days/three nights left after we check out, and we're trying to figure out where to stay. We don't want to move to the South Shore - would like to be somewhere with a much different vibe and feel. So between Upcountry, the North Shore, and Hana, which location would you prefer to spend three nights in, and where would you recommend that we stay?

We are both in our mid-twenties, like a combination of relaxation/down time and easy island experiences we can do ourselves (not huge fans of tour groups). I am a fond novice surfer, he has never surfed but wants to try. We will have a rental car. Budget: prefer to pay $150 or less per night. We're staying at the Westin because we got a great deal, but both of us enjoy B&Bs/condos/boutique hotels as well.

Would love to hear your feedback! Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless your flight is booked non-stop out of Maui, I would go to another island. Oahu or the Big Island.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michelle! Our concern is that three nights on another island would be too few/not worth the travel time getting there.

We were planning on flying direct to Kahului. We haven't finalized flights yet (much to my chagrin) but if you don't think it'd be too much travel time, then that is something to consider for sure!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM

There isn't any North Shore, unless you mean Kapaula.

Upcountry is interesting, but I hate having to drive to walk on a beach.

I'd consider Hana. However, make sure you review this with your departure times in consideration. I would not want to be driving back from Hana to catch a plane. The stress would ruin my entire vacation.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM

If you're looking for something a world away from Ka'anapali, Molokai would be my recommendation and three days would be more than enough. However, if the Molokai Mule Ride is not of interest (we've recommended to numerous friends, business associates as well as family and the vast majority were wildly enthusiastic; if not overwhelmed). Otherwise, there isn't much on Molokai that you can't find on Maui with a little exploration.
Here are a couple of YouTube videos that will give you a hint of what it's about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDK24iMyIwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdpzovajDg

Otherwise, my choice would be Hana. We've tried several places, but Hana Kai Maui is, by far, our favorite: http://www.hanakaimaui.com/
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM

Kapalua and Napili areas both have a much different vibe and feel than kaanapali. Check for one bedroom condos on vrbo.com.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

If you don't want to stay on another island - take an all day tour of Hawaii (the big island) or Kauai. We booked with a small tour co. where a limo picked us up with one other couple, they were going to Kauai and we were going to the Big Island. We left early morning and returned to our room by late evening. The landscape on the big island with Volcanos National Park, the Kona Coast, Coffee plantations and Hilo should not be missed. We did a helicoptor tour of the volcano and coastline, drank lots of kona coffee and spent the afternoon on the Kona Coast. Will never forget this! We liked it so much on our next trip we spent 5 days there. Waimea canyon on Kauai is gorgeous too. Plan to see the sunrise in Maui on Haleakala (pre-dawn visit) and you can do a day trip to Hana with plenty of time for hiking on the side- the upper falls are worth the hike.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4days/3nights would be plenty for a taste of another island. For me, it would be perfect for Oahu. Lots to do and see. Travel time between islands is no biggie. Since you will already have been on Maui for a week, I think trying Oahu or the Big Island(Hawaii) is worthwhile.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM

If you want to stay on Maui, then I'd say Hana, but with a strong nod to Placenames advice about travel back to the airport. That drive takes longer than you think. Everything you'd want to do along the western shore of the northern part of the island, can be done as a day trip out of your home base at Ka'anapali, and although I agree with montereybob about Kapalua and Napili having different vibes, Hana has a REALLY different vibe
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'm going to consult with my boyfriend and figure out if he's interested in going to a different island or would prefer to stay on Maui. If so, sounds like Hana is the best bet, and then we can book our flights accordingly to give a HUGE cushion to get back to the airport.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Do the sunset at Haleakala instead of (frigid, usually cloudy, drive up in the dark) sunrise. Park at a west-facing pullout and be in awe.
BTW, the southwest coast has a totally different vibe; snorkel the pools at La Perouse Bay, check out the amazing beaches from Kihei to Makena, every kind from swim/relax to boogie boarding to snorkeling.
(Easy to get to Hana from there, of course; after jumping into the pools of O'heo gulch, go the rest of the way around!)
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Kapalua and Napili are beautiful areas of Maui. We also loved Hana when we did The Road To Hana a couple of weeks ago. Missing Maui! ***kim***
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Will definitely want to go to Haleakala, so thanks for the vote for sunset, sylvia!

At any rate, we decided to spend the other three nights on the Big Island. Found another pretty good deal on the Kohala Coast, so hopefully we can explore at least parts of the island before we come back to the mainland.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Alana_LaRose
I was reading this post and am interested in details about your day long tour of the BI? You left from Maui? Can you give details? I appreciate any help!!!!
Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM

Looks like your trip is planned, but these links may help someone else with the same question:

Some cute, inexpensive cottages on the North Shore of Maui: www.road2hana.com

Article about staying on Maui;s North Shore: http://mauiguidebook.com/road-to-han...s-north-shore/
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM

When you find a thread to post your advertisin on,it is better if the original thread is more recent and the trip has not yet occurred. Otherwise it's super obvious you are doing it just to get your advertising posted.