Seattle with a Child Trip Report

Aug 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Seattle with a Child Trip Report

Just got back from a great trip to Seattle and wanted to post a report as a thank you for some of the great advice I got here!

I traveled to Seattle from Kansas City with my mother (active in her 50s) and my 20 month old daughter. Our first "girls trip"!

We stayed at the La Quinta downtown because we got a GREAT deal ($89/night) on a suite with a separate bedroom. The hotel was definitely a good value at that rate. The lobby/common areas are nice, breakfast is good, and the location was good (very easy walk to Seattle Center, a longer but do-able walk to downtown). The room was not fancy and the decor could use some serious help, but it was spacious and we had a space needle view!

As for attractions, we loved the Space Needle--it was our first stop in town and really helped us get oriented to the city. We did the "Ride the Ducks" tour and really enjoyed that...it was a great way to see a LOT of the city in 90 minutes. Sure, it's cheezy and loud, but also informative and fun. I loved getting to see the houseboats/floating homes in Lake Union. My daughter was entertained, too. We enjoyed Pike's Place, but it was super crazy. I would NOT recommend going with a child in a stroller. It is just too packed to navigate the aisles. We didn't really have another option, but if I would have realized this I would have brought some kind of carrier for my daughter. She loved the fish-throwing and the fresh bluberries, though.

We also rode the ferry to Bainbridge. It was a nice trip and the views were indeed fantastic, but we had a little rain while on the island, so we cut our trip short and took a ferry back after only 45 minutes. The little town near the ferry dock is super cute and quaint. If I didn't have a toddler with me I could spend a lot of time shopping and strolling. But even just the ferry ride itself was awesome and a great value!

We drove out to Chateau Ste Michelle winery to get out of the city a little bit and because they make my favorite Reisling. It was a nice tour...short, but interesting. They do not grow/process any grapes there...they just go from juice to wine. So not as in depth as many winery tours in Napa/Sonoma, but the grounds are beautiful and the wine was tasty! Best of all...it was free.

We also enjoyed a morning stroll at the Olympic Sculpture Park along the waterfront. It is a great place to spend an hour and also has nice views of the water. Nice and peaceful in contrast to some of the craziness of downtown.

I wish I could give some great restaurant reviews, but we pretty much just ate wherever we could when my daughter was hungry. We enjoyed Ivar's on the pier, though it wasn't fantastic. Due to a wrong turn in our favor, we happened upon Blue C sushi in Fremont and it was GREAT. Lots of fun and good food. Loved the Fremont area, too.

Overall I would say that some of the best things to do with kids in Seattle would be the Ride the Ducks tour, the Space Needle, and the Ferry ride. Not as good would be Pike's Place market and strolling around downtown (lots of hills/steps...not really stroller friendly).

Aug 13th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Great report, travelisfun. We'll have to go back and do the duckboats some time.

Search this Thread