Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle - what to do,where to stay & dine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 07:47 AM
L. Montgomery

Our daughter and son-in-law (30's) are planning a trip to seattle. They will have approx. 1 wk. Would like opinions on the best Hotels and restaurants as well as what to do, and see.
They are also interested in whether or not they will need a car and if so, would they need it for the entire time or just for a day or so to see that which is not close by.
Thank you for any information.

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 03:25 PM
Dick Hardy

Preferences are personal and budgetary, of course, but with that warning: There are a lot of nice hotels downtown; Inn at the Market, Alexis, Mayflower and Four Seasons are a few and the chains are good, too. Eating possibities are Dahlia Lounge, Virazon, Etta's, Ray's Boathouse, Painted Table among others. Sights to see are the Aquarium, Woodland Park Zoo, Pacific Science Center, Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, harbor cruise, Museum of Flying, and so on. They really should get a guide book and see what interests them - it's so personal. If they are interested in sports, there is a lot of that, depending on season. Spectator and participatory (hiking, skiing, golf, etc) sports are good. They shoudl have a car. A lot of city sights you will see on foot, but they will want to drive out of the city, see one or more of the islands (Bainbridge, Whidby or Vashon - where I live). Check back on the weather, though, it varies a lot between seasons! Specific questions, please email me.

Old Feb 3rd, 1998, 02:33 PM
Jackie

We were in Seattle some months back. Had a very good meal at ETTA'S. We had fish, of course, and it was prepared in a very unusual way. They also have
a great selection of local beers. I am a bay area
foodie and not easily impressed but I would go back to Etta's anytime.

Old Feb 3rd, 1998, 06:04 PM
Dan

We stayed at the Inn at the Market and it was great - had a small European hotel atmosphere, was central to the Pike Place Market and other sights and we had a room with a wonderful view of the bay (be sure to ask for a room on the higher floors with water view). Would stay there again in a second. Can't remember the name of a nice place we ate but it was an Italian restaurant in the market. A friend recommended a place called Wild Ginger but we didn't get there. You won't need a car in the city itself but if you want to visit Mount Rainier NP, or the islands, or Snoqualmie (maybe have a gourmet dinner at the Salish Lodge overlooking the falls), you'll want to have one. If you don't want to stray too far from Seattle, there's the town of Gig Harbor or you could just take a ferry ride to the nearest islands.

Old Mar 24th, 1998, 06:51 PM
K Romeo

Went to Seattle for the first time last fall - fell in love with the city. Stayed downtown - Walked most everywhere - otherwise, found the transportation system terrific - most of it's free! Stayed at the Plaza Park suites (might be Park Plaza Suites) - it was great - like a small apartment - fully equipped kitchen, dining area, separate bedroom, fireplace - big bathroom. Traveled alone - always felt safe. Favorite restaurant was Blowfish - Pacific Rim food.
For touristy stuff - take the underground tour - it's a riot.

Old Mar 24th, 1998, 06:53 PM
K Romeo

Went to Seattle for the first time last fall - fell in love with the city. Stayed downtown - Walked most everywhere - otherwise, found the transportation system terrific - most of it's free! Stayed at the Plaza Park suites (might be Park Plaza Suites) - it was great - like a small apartment - fully equipped kitchen, dining area, separate bedroom, fireplace - big bathroom. Traveled alone - always felt safe. Favorite restaurant was Blowfish - Pacific Rim food.
For touristy stuff - take the underground tour - it's a riot.

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Julie

The nicest, least expensive lodging in downtown Seattle that I've seen yet is the Wall Street Inn. It is a B & B. Some of the rooms have kitchens, some have views of Elliott Bay. Most downtown hotels run $200 night, the most expensive rooms at the Wall St. Inn are $135. Another great new place is the Inn at Harbor steps, which is run by Four Sisters Inn's. The quality is very high here with lots of amenities, a great place for an extended stay. The suites at the Marriott on Lake Union have kitchens, and breakfast is included in the room rate, as is free shuttle service to downtown. If money is no object, definately go with the Inn at the Market. If they are staying downtown they will be fine without a car, if they are anywhere else a car is a necessity. As far as restaurants go, I think that Ponti in Fremont has the best seafood. Marco's Supperclub and Lush Life are fun and the food at both restaurants is great. Cafe Campagne in the Market is romantic. Also tell them to check out Entros. The food is good and the games are fun. (It is right by the Marriott.)

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 08:41 PM
jj

I'll echo Dan's comments about the Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie: excellent food and the sommelier there was courteous and very knowledgeable about Washington wines. In Seattle, I enjoyed the crab cakes at Elliott's. Good museums are the Museum of Flight near Boeing HQ, Seattle Art Museum and Museum of History and Science near UW campus. For a good economy stay, I stayed at the Travelodge near Seattle Center: it's within walking distance to the Space Needle and you can take the monorail downtown for $3 roundtrip.

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 01:38 PM
Jana

My favorite spots in Seattle are the Bell Street Diner at the Harbor end of Bell Street for the best Fish and Chips ever! Also, check out Chandler's on Lake Union for excellent Margaritias and Oyster Bar. The very best Latte in the Universe is at Uptown Latte on Queen Anne Hill. Have fun

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 01:38 PM
Jana

My favorite spots in Seattle are the Bell Street Diner at the Harbor end of Bell Street for the best Fish and Chips ever! Also, check out Chandler's on Lake Union for excellent Margaritias and Oyster Bar. The very best Latte in the Universe is at Uptown Latte on Queen Anne Hill. Have fun

Old Apr 4th, 1998, 02:39 PM
Cindy

I recommend a car in Seattle. Sights to see are Snoqualmie (Salish Lodge), the San Juan Islands, Chuckanut Trail (gorgeous), Mount Baker, the underground tour in downtown Seattle, etc., etc., etc. I second one person's idea to buy a guidebook before going. The visitors center in the airport is also a great place to pick up information about Seattle.

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 11:43 AM
patt

For an interesting and informative site of what's going on in Seattle try:http://seattle.sidewalk.com One thing to remember is that we have rain, not a lot, but wet and grey. Make sure you don't let it get you down. For some out of the way places try La Conner, Coupleville,or Snohomish. The zoo has lots of new exibits too. Enjoy your stay!