Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle, WA to Portland, OR - Train or drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going in May for a long weekend (4 days) and are deciding if we want to rent a car or not.

The train is more expensive and means we don't have a car once we get to OR. On the other hand, it means we don't have to drive. Is the train ride scenic or not?

We plan to do a lot of hiking and park-visiting. If we rent a car should we take a scenic route or should we leave the scenery to the parks and just take the quickest drive? (That is, if the scenic route is really gorgeous, we'll sacrifice time for it but otherwise, we can get our share of natural beauty in the parks).
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Which parks are you discussing? I don't know how you are going to get to them without a car.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM

If you drive, spend the day driving to the east side of Mt. St. Helens to the observation point over Spirit Lake. From there you continue south to the Columbia River gorge and west to Portland.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In this case, I say drive. The train is scenic and I have ridden it, the car gives you the option of setting your own schedule. Drive south on I-5 to Kelso/Longview and cross the Columbia River and come into Portland on US 30.
Day 2 see what you want to see in Portland and the Mount Hood area. Stay in the town of Hood River. Day 3 Cross the bridge at Hood River and head west on WA 14 to the small town of Carson.
From Carson there is a paved Forest Service road that takes you east of Mt St. Helens to the town of Randle on US 12.
Spend the night at Packwood east of Randle. Day 4 take a quick drive through Mt. Ranier NP on the way back to Seattle to turn in the rental car.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting friends in both locations. Both friends have cars. We just need to get from Seattle friend to Portland friend.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I left out that essential information in my original post. So sorry. You'd think I was a newbie but when you are asking about your own trip you forget that everyone doesn't know the details!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM

If your Seattle friends will take you to Mt. Rainier and your Portland friends to Mt. Hood and the Columbia River gorge (among other sites outside the city), just take a bus between the two cities, unless you are a train buff and do not mind spending extra.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I have googled for buses and consensus seems to be that there isn't one (def. no Greyhound)
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure there's not a bus between Seattle and Portland? That doesn't sound correct.

If your friends are both willing to chauffeur you around in each location, sure take Amtrak. Some parts are scenic, some parts not so much.

The drive down I-5 is most definitely not very scenic but would be a little quicker (3 hrs) than the train.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM

What about this:

https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM

OK, now that we're all clear on the details.

Opt for the train (or 'no car' at any rate) since you have friends in both spots, UNLESS the logistics of getting from one friend to the other are such that you'd like to speed-up the transition.

A ONE-way auto rental would be more costly than your average X-day pick-up-and-return at the same spot. You simply don't need a car for that jaunt.

Besides, the train simply must be more scenic than is the drive down I-5 in Washington and south of Seattle. (I mean, there is SOME/plenty-of nature when compared to many roads in America, but there is nothing for which you need the freedom of a car vs. taking the train).

If costs are a factor, then of course you'd measure the one-way auto rental against the train fares, AND include the cost of GAS in your comparison (7 or 8 gallons for a typical rental car sedan between Seattle & Portland, @ perhaps $3.75 a gallon by MAY???? ($3.50-ish NOW))

As to the bus - you surely don't want to cohabit in any way with the sorts of denizens of Greyhound these days. Even the Greyhound station in Seattle will intimidate the life out of you - and it is in a reasonable part of downtown.

A central factor is HOW QUICKLY you need to get from the Seattle friends to the Portland friends during a "4-day weekend". The drive is 3 hours tops (in light traffic), and you could do better than that fairly easily. So if expediting the process is important, then you'd want to drive yourselves.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM

We do the Seattle/Portland trip every week. We drive most of the time, but have taken Amtrak numerous times. If you can see Mt St Helens with one of your friends, then take the train. The train is actually pretty scenic and it is so relaxing.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM

The trip I laid out above would work if your Seattle friends would drive you to Kelso on I-5 where your Portland friends would meet you for the Oregon parts. The Seattle friends could pick you up in Packwood on the morning of day 4 to go through Mt. Ranier on the way back to Seattle.
The Portland friends would have to take you as far as Packwood and then backtrack on US 12 to I-5 on day 3.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Greyhound does look quite feasible and imminently more reasonably priced than the train (train is $104 each and bus is $40 each; car rental is $150 to have it from Sunday to Tuesday). WE've done the Greyhound from D.C. to NYC; after the D.C. station, it would have to be pretty horrendous to scare us off.

I think we'll take the bus unless we can get our friends on board with tomfuller's plan (which may work out even better because we fly back out of Portland so there's no backtracking).

Muchas Gracias, Fodorites.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

horrors! I meant "eminently" more reasonable.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:24 AM

That's a crazy price for Amtrak between Seattle and Portland. We have taken it numerous times and it has been substantially less money. The train route is very similar to I-5, so I wouldn't say it is that much more scenic. It is a lot more pleasant a trip than in a car or bus because you can get up and walk around. The train is fun! But we're only talking 3 hours, so it doesn't really matter. Just so you know, traffic between Seattle and Portland can be a big problem. Be wary of Friday afternoon - avoid if possible.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Sit on the left side of the bus to enjoy views of Mt. Rainier.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Orcas--Amtrak rates have really risen in the last year or so. Plus, if at peak times it is higher. I wish DH could commute mid week when it is only about $31 each way, lol.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Round trip for 2 adults SEA-POR-SEA starting May 4 and returning May 7 is $124 on Amtrak. The view of the Boeing factory is good from the train. If you are members of AAA you can get a 10% discount.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Checking back because we decided to rent a car for our trip due some changes in plans (Portland friend can't see us because of work).

We will now plan to drive from Mason Lake, WA to Mt. Hood, OR. We are debating whether to do the whole 4 1/2 hour drive on Monday and spend all our time there or break the trip up and do Monday in one place and Tuesday at Mt. Hood.

I would appreciate both an opinion on which is advisable and, if we break up the trip, where you suggest we stop on Monday for beautiful scenery and hiking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -