Seattle/Vancouver vacation advice needed

Jun 12th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Seattle/Vancouver vacation advice needed

My husband and I are planning a long weekend (4-5 days)to Seattle/Vancouver in early July. Having never been in the area, we could use some advice on sights to see, places to stay, restaurants, using ferries, etc.

We're not into clubbing or hiking. I understand that Victoria is a must-see, as well as botanical gardens in Vancouver. Otherwise, we just want to absorb the atmosphere, enjoy the scenery, maybe a winetasting or microbrewery experience, ferry ride, see some of the other places outside of downtown Seattle.

Any advice from you experts would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Kym
Jun 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM

There are already many posts about sights and places to stay. I and others will give you additional advice if you have any ideas about interests. For example, r u more interested in mountains or ocean beaches. Cute shopping towns, wineries, waterfalls?

In the meantime, I think the botanical gardens you refer to are probably Buchart Gardens on Vancouver Island which can be visited during a long day trip to Victoria, not the City of Vancouver. Vancouver is also a great place to visit and I like the Queen Elizabeth Park which has a tropical garden inside a geodesic dome. (That may also be the botanical garden you heard about although Buchart is much more famous).

Victoria can be visited via a trip on the Clipper catamaran off the Seattle Waterfront. I would opt for the seaplane trip however, much faster and a great scenery bonus. Costs more though.

You don't say how price sensative you are to lodging cost. If premium lodging is in your price range, I really like the relatively new Seattle Waterfront Marriott. If that's too high, I also like the Silver Cloud at Lake Union, a short way out of downtown.

If you are not from a mountain region, you should include a trip up to Paradise Village on Mt. Rainier. Of course do not miss Pike Place Market and do zip to the top of the Space Needle. Make lodging reservations today, early July is very busy here.
Jun 12th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Travlhappy: Welcome to the club! My family and I also have a trip to Seattle/Vancouver planned for July (8 days). Based on what many Fodorites have told me, we are going to be hard-pressed to cover all the highlights in this amount of time. We decided on 4 days in Seattle, 2 in Vancouver, 1 for a Washington day trip (rafting), and 1 day will be totally for travel.

Have you considered the possibility of doing only Seattle OR Vancouver, and saving the other city for another trip? There is so much to do in both places, you could easily spend a week at either locale.

Seattle has the attractions at Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, etc.), Pike Place Market, ferry rides, Pioneer Square, Seattle Art Museum (impressionist exhibit this summer), a new public library, Ballard locks, Fremont, Boeing museum, Woodland Park zoo, Lake Union. I could go on and on, and we haven't even been there yet (except for one quick trip 10 years ago).

Vancouver has Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, two fantastic suspension footbridges, Robson Street/Yaletown/Gastown (shopping), Granville Island, the botanical gardens, whale-watching trips, and skytrain for quick and easy transportation, plus Vancouver Island and Victoria.

Like Sgorces said, there is plenty of great information to be found in this forum. Just enter whatever attraction interests you in the search block, and you'll probably find a thread on it.

Ref. the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union -- that is the hotel we decided on, based on a good rate and many favorable reviews. If you want to make reservations there, I found a better rate by calling the hotel direct, including availability on days the "consolidators" said were full. Also, I got a verbal "guarantee" of a lakeview room, for which we would have paid quite a bit more at the internet sites.

Keep asking questions (to keep your thread going), and I'm sure the "experts" will chime in. Good luck!

Jun 12th, 2004, 05:33 PM

I would recommend Seattle with a trip to Victoria island by boat. Both Seattle and Vancouver wouldn't leave much time for either. Will you be flying into Seattle, driving, or relying on public transport?

Search this Thread