Seattle vacation with kids?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Bonnie

Seattle vacation with kids?

Hi! Hoping we can get some advice on a mini vacation to Seattle. We plan to stay about 3 - 4 days and are driving from Vancouver B.C. with our 3 kids, ages 10, 9 and newborn. Our plan is to find some really kid friendly attractions,and reasonably priced clean accomodations. Any suggestions? How is the aquarium? The zoo?
Thanks!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:38 PM
ALF

The Woodland Park Zoo is a wonderful place for kids, particularly the new enclosures that are designed to look more like the animals' real habitat, as opposed to cages. The Aquarium is also a good place, and there are several hands-on activities for kids there. A ferry ride is always fun - you could build that into your drive by turning off I-5 onto Route 20 west, then following that road onto Fidalgo Island. From there, continue south across the very scenic Deception Pass bridge onto Whidbey Island. At the south end of Whidbey Island, there is a ferry to Mukilteo, back on the 'mainland'.

Our kids liked the famous underground tour of old parts of Seattle that were once on the surface before a huge earthmoving project commenced. They also liked the Duck boat tour, even though this is a hopelessly 'touristy' thing to do. One other choice would be the tour boat to Blakely Island, along with a salmon barbecue and show.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Faina

At 9 and 10 they will be interested in seeing a 3-D movie by the Needle.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:27 AM
John

When are you coming, Bonnie? Is BC home?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Wendy

Hi Bonnie, you have gotten some great recommendations. I also just topped a thread "Seattle with Kids...." for you for more ideas.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Melissa

I was recently in Seattle with two boys, age 5 and 7 and they loved the aquarium...much more hands on than many of the others we've been to (San Diego, Chicago, Baltimore, Waikiki, even Monterrey). Lots more activities. We literally spent hours there!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:48 AM
xxx

For nice family accomadations you might try the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union. It is a short distance from downtown, but not a problem since they shuttle you wherever. The rooms were large, they have an indoor and outdoor pool, and free breakfast and afternoon happy hour. It reminds me of an Embassy Suites. Good luck with your planning!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Don

Another suggestion to supplement Alf's extensive list--the Pacific Science Center (at the south end of Seattle Center) has a lot of hands-on activities for kids.