Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle underground tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-underground-tour-319179/)

PatN May 20th, 2003 08:18 PM

Seattle underground tour

We will be visiting Seattle this summer and were wondering if the "underground Seattle" tour is entertaining for teenagers/college age family members? Other suggestions for 2 days in Seattle for that age group? Thanks!

ALF May 20th, 2003 11:10 PM

Well, the underground tour is a bit hokey and touristy, but it is also interesting and fun.

Other choices: Ferry to Blake Island, along with a salmon dinner and Northwest Coast Indian dance performance. Experience Music Project, a huge experiential music museum at the base of the Space Needle. The Museum of Flight. A tour of Boeing's airplane assembly plant in Everett, 25 miles north of Seattle. Take the Victoria Clipper boat to Victoria in the morning - return that evening. Ride the ferry from Colman Dock to Bainbridge Island, and back. Walk around the Pike Place Market and the waterfront below.

Traveler_A May 21st, 2003 02:43 AM

We've taken the underground tour and thought it was interesting and fun. I think that teenagers are likely to enjoy it since it's kind of cool to see how the early years of Seattle developed and what they obviously thought was a good idea at the time!

If the kids are interested in music, I second the Experience Music Project idea.

dfrostnh May 21st, 2003 03:50 AM

We enjoyed the underground tour and also the Duck Tour. It was fun being out on the lake and hearing stories about the old ferry boat that someone hopes to turn into a restaurant and the glass artist.

Gardyloo May 21st, 2003 06:28 AM

My curmudgeony opinion is that the Underground Tour is a masterpiece of hype, but sure, go for it. Just don't expect Pompeii or the Paris sewers (well, I guess that's okay.) I would expect the teens/college agers might find it a little high on the lame scale.

That said, there are scads of things to keep that age set occupied, depending on their interests and tastes. The EMP is an obvious choice but there are also many live music and arts events throughout the summer in all sorts of fun venues. The Mariners pack 'em in at Safeco, there is usually something happening at the University of Washington and environs, you can rent rowboats or sailboats on Lake Union and paddle yourselves around; day trips to the mountains for hikes around waterfalls, a couple of decent county/state fairs, the awesome Bumbershoot arts festival at Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend, the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (under-publicized and a seriously cool place); excellent shopping (major malls to outer-limits funk on Broadway and Fremont); beach bumming and volleyball on the sand at Alki; parades and pirates and hydroplanes and the Blue Angels during Seafair (big annual Seattle fair in early August), concerts on the pier next to the cruise ship terminal (Lyle Lovett to the Beach Boys to Los Lobos) or on the lawn at the Ste Michelle winery in Woodinville (k.d. lang et al)... what's your pleasure?

elberko May 21st, 2003 06:37 AM

I had trouble visualizing the "raising the streets" thing in Seattle until we did this. I think it's interesting, and worth doing.

blueaguave May 21st, 2003 05:16 PM

I agree with ALF. The tour is kind of hokey and touristy but I had a lot of fun on it. Have some imagination and you'll have a great time.

PatN May 22nd, 2003 06:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, especially "Gardyloo"....Oldest daughter likes vintage clothing stores, and funky antique/flea market type places...not those aimed at the rich and famous, but for unique finds for the college kid apartment...any other suggestions, as we are staying downtown both nights we are there...thanks to suggestions from this board!