Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Yakima by bus during first snow of season.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original plan was to fly on Alaska Air from Seattle to Yakima...on Turbo-prop plane.
these flights were cancelled due "bad" weather..although Alaska said mechanical problems ...
I was actually relieved...as Turbo-props make me nervous AND Yakima is on the eastern side of Mt. Rainier, elevation 14,000 ft. noted for its turbulent air currents.
Bus company is Bellaire Shuttle based in Yakima...Makes round trips from Seatac and Seattle Convention center severalties a day...Have their own web site and 24 hour phone reservation service.
Also if you have to cancel...the reservations is "saved" for one year..
Big waiting area with tables and chairs at extreme south end of Seatac.."baggage" level.:nice in case weather is cold...which it was the day I was there.
Bus reminded me of the Greyhound bus line...baggage underneath, seats very comfortable,,did have bathroom...no Wi-Fi..temp./ heater was warm...
Driver commented it was only for emergencies...as we made several stops to pickup and let people off along the way.
Storm during night dumped 3-5 ft. of snow over Snoqualmie Pass( 3,022 ft.) but was passable without chains...bus driver seemed pleased....
Progress was slow and steady...driver obviously had done this a few times...
Stops were brief 4 or 5...until Ellensberg 2 stops. This town is home of Central Washington University.and seemed quite busy even with snowfall. About one hour from Yakima.
These two towns are referred to as "high desert"..fairly hot in summer--90 to 100 with snow in winter with lots of low temps in teens..
Overall time from Seattle was 3 1/2 hours..which is about average..End point is at Yakima Airport, which is warm place to wait inside and bathrooms..
Items which I found helpful:
tablet or i Phone with earbud for music and audio-books ( I can not read books in moving vehicle)
neck pillow (rolled up sweater is ok) sweat shirt/ fleece jacket with hood or scarf.
I took 1/2 sandwich and small bag potatoes chips & bottle of water --these were just in case I felt "car-sick" (which I did not)
Very comfortable trip and will definitely use again.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 07:39 AM

I have to laugh at your reason for not flying Alaska Air. Pilots beginning their commercial flying careers salivate at the chance to fly a turboprop...hours in a turbine-powered aircraft are like gold when you knock on the door of an air carrier. Have to admit that my experience (including one notable flight delivering Christmas presents) were in piston-powered aircraft. I can imagine your reaction to being told that you would be going to Yakima on a piston twin.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 09:42 AM

I am more curious as to why you went to Yakima? I say that since I used to live there, and we used to take the hops over to Seattle and then fly elsewhere.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, why Yakima at this time of year?
The most beautiful place on the east side of the Washington Cascades is Leavenworth. You can get there about 8PM riding the Empire Builder from King St. station in Seattle.
Glad I-90 was open over the Snoqualmie Pass.
I-5 is closed somewhere north of Portland due to a landslide.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 05:35 AM

tomfuller--I-5 was reopened last night, 2 of the lanes for now and the rest should be done by Sunday thankfully!

Maybe traveler24 lives in Yakima?
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

My one and only great-grandson moved to Yakima in March, believe me that is the ONLY reason I went...
I must say the area did look better with a layer of snow to cover the ugly sage brush.