Reload this Page >

In Houston, Have a problem...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:43 PM
PAM

Done Space Center, zoo, Kemah, malls....can't find GREAT steak or crab legs, done Sea World, and don't do amusement rides (get motion sick)....need ideas for mini-trip 3-5 days in Texas or near Houston...just how good is Corpus, Dallas, is Big Bend worth the drive..haven't been there since I was 10. Westerner feeling very "stuck" in coastal Texas. Would be traveling w/"lets just get there" husband and twin 6 year old girls....or may just take off somewhere on my own.....haven't been to New Orleans in years! Please don't suggest Florida....lived there and will be going back again in 2-3 years. Enjoyed Radisson Resort by Sea World in San Antonio, and a little restaurant "Castaway" in Port Aransas....like nature (but not West Nile Virus), aquariums, zoos, movies......for the locals-I even liked the "Orange Show"...silly fun! Want lots of responses! Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Statia

Maybe this will help?

http://www.houston-guide.com/index.html

What about a short trip to San Antonio, Austin, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels? There is quite a bit to do within that whole area.

You can do a text search on this site and find a lot of info about each of the above mentioned cities.

Good luck!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Fun for all

Consider a trip to Glen Rose, Texas. Visit and overnight in air conditioned tent (or hotel) at Fossil Rim Wildlife Park. Private tour of park the following AM. Then on to Rough Creek Lodge to luxuriate and enjoy some fine food. Beautiful country.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:45 PM
PAM

Glen Rose...I'll look into it! Any ideas on the best steak &/or crab legs? I'd even do an over-nighter for an awesome dinner!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Crab

You can get live King crab at times at Fung's Kitchen off Highway 59 south near Bellaire. Have not had this, but the restaurant is nice with a variety of fresh seafood.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Statia

It's been a few years, but I've had great steaks at Old San Fransicso Steakhouse in Houston.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Lindsey

Pam:

For steak, have you tried either Churrasco's, Lynn's or a's. A little funkier, try Americas. For crab legs, maybe Truluck's. I do find it ironic that we live so close to the Gulf, but can't find great seafood.

Big Bend is a heck of a drive with short attention span family members.

How about tubing in New Braunfels or roaming the Hill Contry. Also, Texas Monthly Press prints a book on mini-trips in Texas. If you can fly, maybe Santa Fe.

Good Luck

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Nicol

Hopefully this helps.
I suggest staying in San Antonio, La Cantera Resort in particular. Do a search and you'll find my review. Pretty family oriented and great golf if hubby is interested.
From SA you can do many side trips to Hill Country, Schilterbaun (sp?), tubing, outlet malls if it's your thing, Austin, ect. Never been to Corpus or Dallas just to visit and take in the sites. Basically, SA is a pretty central location to branch of from.
If hell bound to stay in Houston, good steak Brennan's or Pappa's Steakhouse, but clueless on crab. Gosh, I can't even remember the last time I ordered crab.
What time of the year are ya'll planning to come out?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:36 AM
PAM

I now LIVE just outside of Houston-Friendswood. Came here from Utah, the playground of the west. Used to be I could do 100 different things on any given weekend; National Parks, Vegas, Yellowstone, Seattle, Oceanside,etc. but here in Texas I'm surrounded by, well, Texas. It's not like the old west movies in Houston. Don't get me wrong, I loved Moody Gardens, Houston Zoo, Sea World, Galleria, and am going to the Texans/Miami game, but I'd like to find more to like about Texas instead of just missing my western back yard. Here, the humidity is a killer, and the mosquitos are scary, so we stay indoors during the day, swim in the evening and catch matinees on the weekends. We enjoyed San Jacinto, and downtown museums...but what else is there? I'm willing to drive....just don't know where to go. Thinking Big Bend/Guadalupe in Oct/Nov. Where are all the Texas lovers to tell me about their state? Texans have always talked a big talk, and they're some of the nicest folks ever....but nobody seems to go anywhere! I've had one or two "never heard of it" places mentioned, for which I am grateful....but I'd like more. I'd do my usual Bookstore hunt, but the kids are sick and I'm stuck at home. Tell me about quirky, unusual, simple, fun places, PLEASE! And thanks again for those of you who HAVE responded!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:01 AM
texan

Pam - here are a couple of my favorite Texas weekend trips. I live in Austin but do not have kids, so not sure how much they would/would not enjoy....

1. Fredricksburg or Wimberely - both small quaint towns with lots of unique shops. You could combine Fredricksburg with a trip to Enchanted Rock State Park but do not go during the summer, it is too hot. Wimberely you could combine with a tubing trip down the comal or guadalupe river (guadalupe is closed due to the floods).

2. Come to Austin for the Austin City Limits music festival Sept 28/29.

3. Go on a "best bbq of texas" weekend roadtrip.

4. My sister recommended pk lake to me, but I have not been there.
http://www.possumkingdomlake.com/

You've got me thinking about how little travel I've done around the state! I have not been to Big Bend but have wanted to go for a long time, just intimidated by the drive! I've heard good things about it if you go at the right time.

Otherwise, how about coming up with a theme that the whole family will like....for instance, taking a historical approach and finding the best towns in texas that have historical significance or following your daughters favorite band as they come through texas or finding towns that have a strong influence from other cultures...

good luck and let us know what you find!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Syv

Just visited Texas in April 2002 for the first time.

Yes - Big Bend National Park is worth seeing again, since you last saw it when you were 10 yrs old.

Enjoyed Dallas Arboretum and Botannical Gardens.

If you are "in to" this - the Fort Worth Stockyards has an interesting historical walking tour (the kids would enjoy going through the barns, seeing the horses, etc.). You can spend a day there: shops, a "cattle drive" of Texas Longhorns down the street daily, a museum, and of course go to a rodeo (every Friday night I believe).

Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:00 AM
cleman

Taste of Texas in Katy = Best Steak in The Republic

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Nicol

Okay now that I know your not visiting, I’ll give some more Texas info I’ve gained from growing up here. Even though, I don’t have a hubby or kids, I think your family might like this.

www.canyonoftheeagles.com near Burnet TX. They have an astronomical observatory every other Saturday night. If there is a dark hair young man giving the tour ask him how old he is. There is a hay ride there and back that they kids would like. Also free haunted woods during Halloween. Vanishing River Cruise – the old men are funny – the colder it gets the more eagles will be out. Nice cabins. Have lunch at Coopers Bbq in Llano. Stop in Marble Falls and eat breakfast at Bluebonnet Café and let the kids look around in the feed store. I used to think it was neat to go in as a kid.

Correct spelling is Schlitterbahn. Still love it as an adult.

Oh, I’m also going to the Austin City Limits Festival in Sept. Sounds like your kids might enjoy is, but probably just for one day. You might run into a problem finding rooms. We sure did.

There are several Natural Caverns around central TX that I think are kid friendly. Longhorn Caverns between Burnet & Marble Falls, Natural Bridge Caverns near New Braunfels and another near Sonora. The beauty of caverns is it’s like 60-70 degrees in the middle of hot summer day. Nice break.

Coworker telling me how much he liked Guadalupe River Ranch. Sounds family styled, but seems pricey.

Oh, another thing you might enjoy, but not thought of is the Austin State Capital Building. I took the tour a few years ago and actually enjoyed it.

Oh, one more closer to home. In Katy, there are Japanese Gardens somewhere! I have no clue where in Katy or the actual name, but I know it’s there. I actually saw it on the Travel Channel. Maybe someone can help me out here.

“Thinking Big Bend/Guadalupe in Oct/Nov”. If your family would still like to enjoy the water if ya’ll go, try to go a little earlier. I know the weather can be unpredictable, but the water might be a tad cold to go swimming. Late Sept, early Oct, a gamble in November.
Okay, I'm done now!!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Sara

Water park at New Braunfels!!! Absolutely the best!! Easily 3 days there! Then down to San Antonio.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Susie

For the best steak and crab legs in town - go to Truluck's, located on Westheimer west of the 610 loop. I live near there and eat there frequently.
For a mini-trip, I suggest Galveston. You could spend an entire day at the Moody Garden's complex. It consists of a butterfly collection, paddle wheel boat, IMAX theater, IMAX ride, etc. You can also shop the Strand (old downtown Galveston). Find out if there is a play at the old playhouse on the Strand. There are great seafood restaurants there. Just ask any of the locals for suggestions...

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Houstonian

Suggest considering a day trip to Brazos Bend state park near Rosharon if you haven't been. Wonderful swampy scenery, birds, and alligators. A good place for biking, hiking, and a picnic. Hot and humid now though. One of my favorite places in the Houston area.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
megan

What about heading down to Rockport,TX...30 miles from Corpus...cute little town with decent beach.. Eat at the Boiling Pot for your crablegs/seafood fix. Lots of restaurants and cute shops.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
p.

One of the better steaks I had there (consistently) was at The Cattleguard restaurant, it's on SH6 immediately north of Katy Fwy (I-10), next to Holiday Inn. It's been 3 yrs since I was there so I hope it's still there, deserves to be. 6yr olds probably too young for a Big Bend trek, it's a LONG way from anywhere tho' I'd love to go back one day.
Corpus Christi / N. Padre would be a good break, rent a condo on N. Padre, restaurants there and more in CC, take kids onto USS Lexington 'carrier, visit aquarium, watch windsurfers, pelicans etc for the kids, spend time on the beach. Nice Place and a fairly reasonable drive from Houston. For something different, head up into the woods of east Texas up around Nacogdoches, Toledo Bend, different world !
p.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:00 PM
p.

Forgot to mention .. go up to Brenham, take scenic route on 36 thru' Bellville etc & tour/taste the Bluebell ice-cream place ! Think it closes 3pm on Saturdays if I remember right, I do remember we missed the tour by about five minutes, oh well ..

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Paul in Houston

For steak.....Churrascos or Americas...America is definitely more festive and "funky". For celebrating that special occasion or romantic dinner -Marks Restaurant on Westheimer - my personal favorite. Great seafood..Tony Madola's Gulf Coast Kitchen on W. Gray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -