Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle to St. Helens, to Cannon Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-to-st-helens-to-cannon-beach-757449/)

cerca_trova Dec 19th, 2008 09:44 AM

Seattle to St. Helens, to Cannon Beach

Hi there,

I'm in the process of planning a trip for next year to the Pacific coast. I'm wondering if I'll be able to leave from Seattle, hit up Mount St. Helens, and then make it to Cannon Beach, OR in one day. Any help would be appreciated!

suze Dec 19th, 2008 09:51 AM

Sure, anything's possible, but that would be one very long day!

Fodorite018 Dec 19th, 2008 09:55 AM

Definitely doable, just don't plan on arriving in CB before early evening though. From Seattle to CB it used to take us anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 hours. So if you leave early, then do Mt. St. Helens, you can arrive in CB by the evening.

cerca_trova Dec 19th, 2008 10:01 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone. So how long does it take to get from I5 to Mount St. Helens? I realize that I would have to multiply this by 2 to get back to I5.

Thanks again!

Fodorite018 Dec 19th, 2008 10:15 AM

From I-5 up to Johnston Ridge it takes about an hour. It is about 45 miles, but it is a slow going road, and there are places you will want to stop along the way. Johnston Ridge Observatory is a must see! Definitely do the short film there!

happytrailstoyou Dec 19th, 2008 10:53 AM

Plan about 3 1/2 hours from Seattle to Mount Saint Helens and another 3 1/2-4 hours from MSH to Cannon Beach.

Most of the places we stay in Cannon Beach are rather strict about the 4:00 p.m. check-in, so there is no big rush.

The most scenic drive between MSH and Cannon Beach is WA-4 and the Astoria Bridge across the mouth of the Columbia River.

cerca_trova Dec 19th, 2008 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the help! Sounds manageable, let's hope the weather holds out for the best driving!

suze Dec 19th, 2008 01:39 PM

When you say "weather holds" which month are you coming in?

razzledazzle Dec 19th, 2008 02:17 PM

Well, since Kal's MIA...

<i>...tick...tick...tick</i>

Carry on...
((o))
R5

cerca_trova Dec 20th, 2008 07:04 AM

I'm thinking It will be in mid to late July, so that should tip the odds in favor of better weather, right?

suze Dec 20th, 2008 07:37 AM

Sure July should be OK. Could be hot and sunny, or coolish and rainy, but nothing that would interfer with this drive.

happytrailstoyou Dec 20th, 2008 11:21 AM

July and August are our summer months. They are usually warm and quite dry.

It usually rains less than an inch in July.

In July 2007 the low was 53 and the high was 95. The average low was 58 and the average high was 78.

cerca_trova Dec 21st, 2008 07:51 AM

I like the sound of those average temps, thanks again!

iamq Dec 21st, 2008 11:26 AM

still ***ticking***...

Orcas Dec 21st, 2008 11:36 AM

I hope you don't shortchange the visitors centers at Mt. St. Helens in your rush. The National Park center at the bottom is worth visiting as well. It has some good displays and movies on what happened leading up the explosion. It sets the stage.

We used to take an entire day from Portland when we'd visit the mountain, stopping at the three visitor's centers (one is closed due to budget cuts - so sad), and picnicking at the new lake.

And, as mms stated, do not miss the movie at Johnston Ridge and you will want to go for a walk there.

Plan on getting to Canon Beach late.