Seattle to San Francisco Road Trip Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning an approximately 4-5 day road trip from Seattle to San Francisco. I plan to drive down the coast on US 101. I would like to spend a night or two on the Oregon coast. Most likely around Newport. I would like to cover the stretch from Seattle to Newport, Oregon on the first day. Aside from that, I am really open to other stops along the way. I would like to spend some time in the Redwoods once I hit California. Perhaps spend a night in that area. I would like any suggestions regarding the itinerary or any must see spots along the way. Any tips or suggestions are helpful. I am from Washington but have have no experience with the coastal area. If anyone has any experience doing such a drive, any feedback would be helpful.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Must sees include the Redwood Nat. Park and the adjacent state parks. I think Trinidad and Crescent City are interesting points to visit.
Further south you'll want to take Highway 1 through Fort Bragg and be sure to visit Mendicino. Even futher south the old Russian fort at Fort Ross is an interesting historical stop.
If you go inland at Jenner you'll be in the Russian River Valley wine region and you can take 101 into The City. OR. stay on the coast fopr Point Reyes Nat. Seashore, Bodgea Bay and more small coastal villages.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Be aware that the drive from Highway 101 over to Highway 1 at Fort Bragg is rather curvy and slow. It's pretty, but it takes a while.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Eureka is also a good place to stop. Point Reyes is closer to SF but also great. Mendicino is a must. Bodega Bay is also great, it is where Hitchcock filmed The Birds.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Along the Oregon coast, look into Cape Perpetua, Devil's Churn, and towns like Yachats and Bandon.

Agree that Crescent City area is worth a stop. Inland, the redwoods at Redwoods National Park are among the best groves in California.

Back out along the coast, slightly north of Fort Ross is Salt Point State Park, a very nice small park to stop for a short break, maybe have lunch on the rocky cliff and admire the view. Do a short hike.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=453
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM

With 4 nights, and knowing you want the coast... I would let yourself have two nights in one spot on the Oregon Coast, particularly if that is your main draw.

I guess you'd decide whether you want that to be toward the north end of Oregon, or toward the south coast of Oregon.

I can envision perhaps a first night at/near Newport, and determining before you go, whether that's the spot where you want two nights. Pick another spot south of Coos Bay for your other Oregon night(s).

Finally, manipulate your last night so that you're well into California for a long and enjoyable drive down Highway #1 from Leggett on that last day (leave early, and don't eat anything that will upset your stomach on many of those twisting and turning roads!).
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses, theses will be very helpful.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses, these will be very helpful.