Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Seattle to San Fran in 5 weeks (Aug.)
Notices

Seattle to San Fran in 5 weeks (Aug.)

Feb 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Seattle to San Fran in 5 weeks (Aug.)

My husband and I are planning our first trip to the Northwest. My question involves the necessity of making reservations as we travel south along the coast from Portland to Eureka. We would like to wing it and stay at a few beach towns. Is it absolutely necessary to have hotel/motel reservations along the way? Our trip is scheduled for August. Also, for all of the locals, can you recommend the best beach towns to visit? We hike, antique, eat, and enjoy a libation or two.

Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM

How are you arriving in the NW? Are you renting a car and expecting to pay a drop off fee?
I'm not a local to the Oregon coast but have stayed in a few towns on the coast.
If you come from Seattle, are you coming through Portland or Astoria?
I would suggest you have a list of hotels and call for a reservation in the morning before you check out of the one you stayed in the night before.
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM

I think the hotels along the Oregon Coast can get busy in August - so as suggested - I would check now as to potential availability- and perhaps make a couple of reservations to have along the way. Around Depot Bay there are some nice places that may not be as packed as those closer to Portland - say at Cannon Beach.

Also - Bandon Dunes is great - and if you like golf - they have world class links courses.

Florence was also a favorite of ours - duing my time at the U of Oregon - and Gold Beach - south of Bandon Dunes - is where you can catch a Jet Boat up the fabled Rogue River.
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM

I would also recommend you take a day and drive east from Portland - along the Columbia River Gorge - and see the 7 main waterfalls - including Multnomah, and then at Hood River - head south and stay a night at the classic Timberline Lodge - where the ski teams train in the summer on the glacier of Mt. Hood.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Search this Thread