Where should I live? Moving to Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title suggests, I am moving to Atlanta soon. I have read neighborhood descriptions on Atlanta's convention and visitor's bureau site, but obviously those type of places will speak highly of all the neighborhoods. I am hoping to get a little more of an accurate description from some locals.

I will work downtown. I have a car and would like to live within a 15 min drive. I am open to using public transportation to get to work. I've been told to live within "Atlanta-proper". I don't want to have to get on a highway to get to work.

I am 28, single, and looking for an "artsy" neighborhood. I like hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bars....not trendy, uppity wine bars.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Check out Candler Park, Little 5 Points or even Decatur. Virginia Highlands if you can afford it, but it's less edgy than the first 3.

We lived in Midtown in our 20s and loved it, but it's gentrified a lot since then.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton for the tips, Brian
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Sorry I have no info but I do have a questions. I have noticed that some people - I believe perhaps from the south - use the word "uppity" - which I had never heard - and don't know what it means. It seems to be prejorative - but is it referring to people that are sophisticated? wealthy? trendy? formal? gracious? pretentious?

Can someone please define?
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - I'm from the Midwest (KS) and I like your term, pretentious, to describe "uppity". My intended use was to describe a stereotype of clientele that thinks their "sh** don't stink".
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 02:27 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Oakhurst.
Seriously, it's the first thing that came to mind when reading your description of what you want.

Midtown has really changed in just the last 5 years. Lots of new high rise condos along Peachtree and the cute bungalow neighborhoods around it are a great place to live. Anything between there and Decatur would fit for you. East Lake, Lake Claire, Oakhurst, Decatur, Avondale = close to a MARTA station for a quick ride into downtown, Midtown, airport, etc. A lot of young(er) people are moving into the areas around Grant Park, Ormewood, East Atlanta and on down towards East Point and College Park. Older bungalow are being renovated and there are lots of new(er) lofts.

If I could pick anyplace though, it would be Oakhurst. Close to town, restaurants to walk to, etc.

I have a couple of realtor friends who live in the area and know it well. If you are interested, send me an email and I'll forward their names. It's amazing how much things have changed in some of those neighborhoods in the last 15 years. My parents grew up there and the neighborhoods are as vibrant as they were decades ago.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Starrs -

Thanks a ton for the detailed tips. I haven't even heard of Oakhurst until your post, so I'm def excited to check it out. I already have an apt finder service I'm working with, but thanks for the offer. Obviously, they prob suck since they didn't even mention Oakhurst. Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM

No, not necessarily. Oakhurst is an older neighborhood and there aren't a lot of apartments there. Well, there are but they aren't on the apartment finder sites. Look at Midtown, anything along East Ponce de Leon to Decatur. An apartment finder site would probably list Oakhurst as a Decatur location.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Good tip. Thx again starrs!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Ah yes, I used one of those apartment finder services when I first moved there for grad school. In my experience they work mainly with larger complexes (ones that will pay them their fees) so you will miss out on a lot of smaller neighborhood buildings which will have a lot more character. I got stuck in a large complex that wasn't really a good match for me but that was really my fault as I needed a place fast.

I fully understand how finding a good apartment is tough when you're not on the ground and you can really only find a great apartment for you after you've lived there a while. My advice would be to try to get a shorter (6-month) lease on your first place unless you're really comfortable that you're going to love it there. Good luck.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Seriously hoppock, if you are going to do a 6 month or longer lease email me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of my friends who are realtors. As Brian says, the apartment finder services place people in the big apartment complexes. There's not many of them in the area of town you say you are interested in. The realtors would know of condos, single family homes, etc. that are available for lease and/or even the contact info for small apartment complexes buildings. One of them listed on their Facebook page a cute little older condo in Midtown that was selling for almost nothing. I guess the person really needed to sell. I know you aren't buying but the realtors know what properties are available for lease too. Then if you buy, you'll have contacts. At the very least you can friend their pages on Facebook and see what kind of places are in the area. The only big apartment complexes I know in the area cater to the Georgia Tech students and I don't think that's what you want. Most of the apartment finder places are further out nearer the burbs.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM

First -- I have no first-hand knowledge, but ...

My son recently moved to Atlanta and he lives near Piedmont Park. He loves the area, but he does work NE of town so does have to drive. His girlfiend lives in the Buckhead(?) area.

> exactly the type of neighborhood he was looking for.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Bookmarking this, as I'm interviewing this week in Atlanta and am also 28. I hope to explore the Midtown and Piedmont Park area (and am staying in Buckhead) and will report back on what I find there.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM

When I first moved to Atlanta, I lived in Decatur. It is a great area--there is an old fashioned square with historic courthouse. There are a lot of pubs, restaurants, festivals (Decatur Book Festival, Beer Festival, etc.).

I rented from Braden Fellman (http://bradenfellman.com/). They specialize in apartments in historic buildings throughout the city (including lofts and old factories).
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Starrs - I can't figure out how to send a direct message on here. If you can, shoot me a message or email me at [email protected] with a realtor to contact. Thx

Brian, Jill and Jen - thanks a ton for your tips!
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Okay. I'll email later tonight.