Seattle to California (Northern) by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still just vetting the options for a summer road trip and seeking advice for a possible itinerary. What's worth seeing between Seattle and Monterey/Napa Valley?

My husband and I drove from SEattle to San Francisco 20 years ago, before we were married. Part of the trip was on Route 101, to avoid the drudgery of I-5. We stopped at Crater Lake, some other Oregon coastline towns, but overall I don't remember much.

We will be driving with our 8 year son. What would you recommend? Is it worth to rent an RV?
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

The trip will take place in late June- early July 2015.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 08:19 PM

Funny, I was just discussing this with a friend who will be making part of that drive tomorrow.

The 5 is a long brutal are-we-there-yet-? kind of drive.
The 101 is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. It's a we-are-there type of drive.

Where else will your son see the Giant Redwoods? They are only on this drive. I remember the 1st time I saw a redwood tree. I was about your son's age and we were driving to Portland.

I wouldn't rent an RV but I never would consider renting an RV so I'll let someone else answer that.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, LSky. I was just checking out Yosemite. I guess there are still some lodging options open for early July. Yes, I remember being in awe of the Redwoods, but I was too stupid to take good photographs.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM

Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens in Washington State are south of Seattle. Both worth a visit. The same goes for Mt. Hood which has a nice WPA built lodge. There are the sand dunes on the coast of Oregon, the Redwoods in northern California, the Mendocino coast, the Anderson Valley with its wine tasting.

Browsing through these pictures might give you some ideas:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622991196341/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622981132189/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7631954074484/
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 04:47 AM

What's worth seeing between Seattle and Monterey/Napa Valley?

A few of the highlights are the redwoods of northern California, the Oregon Coast from Brookings to Port Orford and from Florence to Yachts, the Columbia River Gorge, and Mt. Rainier.

HTtY
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 05:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The important questions: Are you returning to Seattle/ How many days total? I don't think you'll find a good deal on a one way RV rental - I could be wrong.
Along the Oregon coast are many State Parks that have yurts in their campgrounds.
If you want to see Crater Lake with your son, you should choose whether you want to see the northern Oregon coast or the southern coast.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:14 AM

Another vote for Mt St Helens if you have not been there. Go all the way up to Johnston Ridge Observatory and watch the short film. It is a must, and once you do it you will know why

About an hour SW of Portland, in McMinnville is the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. It is excellent, and for an 8 year old boy, the Wings and Waves waterpark would be a huge hit! It is an indoor waterpark where you come out of slides on a jet into the water.

I would not rent an RV, but then again that is my idea of h*ll, lol! A regular vehicle would be so much easier though for getting in and out of places.

I assume this is a round trip? If so maybe take the coast on the way down, that way it is easier to pull over for viewpoints, etc and get back on the highway. Then on the return trip cut over and take in Crater Lake and the Bend area. Then you could continue up to the Columbia River Gorge before heading back to Seattle. At Crater Lake, the boat tour is a must IMO. You do hike down a mile to the boat area, and it is about 700 ft elevation drop. It is really only an issue if you have mobility issues or something. We have seen people in their 80's and very young children do it. There are benches along the way if you need. The boat tour gives a whole different perspective of the lake, and the rangers that lead them are very good.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 06:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I seem to recall that you live in Seattle, so can I assume you're returning?

In which case, depending on how long you have for the trip, you could easily turn it into a loop, one way on the coast and the other via the interior. But give us a sense of how long you have.

I would definitely nix the RV. It's too cumbersome in mountainous areas and in cities, and also through the redwoods and along the northern California coast, should you decide to take CA 1 for some of your journey. The costs are also very high.

But the key is how long you have, and any particular interests you might want to pursue. History? Photography? Wine?
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 07:13 AM

We enjoyed a visit to Vision Quest Ranch near Monterey.

http://www.visionquestranch.com/html...r_jungle-.html
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No RV. Yes to yurt camping on the Oregon Coast.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this a one-way drive? Or round-trip drive? Or drive one way then fly home?
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

OK, no RV. We are definitely coming back. The time frame is two weeks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With your boy, I'd first decide on Napa v. Monterey, and for me it would be a no-brainer on the Monterey side.

Basically I'd spend maybe four nights heading south - two on the Oregon coast, one in the redwoods, one in/near San Francisco. Then I'd spend three or four nights in the Monterey Bay area, cut over to Yosemite for two nights, then one on Calif. Hwy 49 in the Gold Rush country, then back up I-5 for one or two nights near Ashland (Shakespeare, Jacksonville) then home. Note that the Gold Rush country is an up and coming wine-producing region, with the advantage of having a lot of terrific and fascinating old towns along Hwy 49, a real "undiscovered" part of California for many visitors.

Living here in Seattle you don't need to spend more time in the Columbia Gorge or Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainier; these are readily available as weekend trips.

Here's a possible route map - http://goo.gl/maps/GPx9F

Around the Monterey Bay, I'd spend a day at the great boardwalk amusement park in Santa Cruz, visiting Point Lobos State Park just south of Carmel, and spend a day driving down to the Hearst Castle via Big Sur, then back.

If you can find accommodation in Yosemite, fine, otherwise give a thought to passing on Yosemite this year, owing to the poor snow pack (like here) leading to mediocre waterfall conditions, and the closure of the Mariposa Grove (giant sequoia trees) this year for park maintenance. IMO Yosemite is at its best in the spring anyway. If you did skip Yosemite, then you could swap Crater Lake for Ashland, then return to Seattle via US 97, stopping at Maryhill Museum en route, something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/PhrfV
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM

I love the Oregon state park yurts. There are also koas in Oregon (camping cabins) that are fun for kids. If you don't mind tent camping, I think 8 is a good age that he'd see just the camping part as an exciting adventure. I'd skip the Santa cruz boardwalk amusement park and add another day to Oregon if you haven't explored the coast much before- but I also don't really care for amusement parks. There are bumper cars and mini golf in Seasside Oregon, and the kids enjoyed that when they were younger. You can feed the seals at seaside aquarium, and that's fun for kids (if they like to get splashed). Tide pools at haystack rock in cannon beach are also great if you can pass through during low tide. There's a kid friendly maritime museum in Astoria,OR that I enjoy as well.

I second the recommendation for gold country, because I think that's the kind of history an 8 year old boy would really get into (panning for gold, stagecoaches, Ghost towns, etc.)
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Gardyloo! Thank you! The map is exactly what I needed. I know Washington, but I don't know Oregon and California.
Marvelmouse, the yurts are perfect. Especially, since I am Kazakh and we used to live in yurts.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:43 AM

Very cool! If you want to do yurts, start looking right now! They go fast- my favorite campground, Nehalem, has probably been filled up since a few hours after reservations opened. That's one of the reasons I suggested koas and tent camping as well- this is a little late in the season to get the yurts. Koas are usually my backup plan. Whether you camp or stay in hotels- reserve as soon as possible to get the dates you want. A lot campgrounds, RV parks, and hotels have no vacancy at all in during high season in Oregon.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:35 PM

I'll third gold country. Fascinating for young and old, lovely old towns, wonderful scenery and relatively quiet. One of my new favourite areas of the US.

Mt St Helens is worth a visit on the way home if you haven't been.

If you are spending time in San Francisco consider the Maritime Museum, with ships to explore.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I have reservations at Curry Village at Yosemite. The rest is still up in the air.
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

I am still checking out the options for a route. We are going to take the long route on the way to Yosemite. We are still open on the timeframe.

Are there any hotels, B&Bs, places to camp, etc. along route 101 in Oregon/California you would recommend? If it is too specific, please just make suggestions of how to research it. I am looking at Trip Advisor too, but I find it too specific sometimes. I get ADD when I am on Trip Advisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -