Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle/San Fran by air/train -- trip report (long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I just returned from my west coast vacation and I must say that we had a wonderful trip. Many of you "seasoned" travelers may not care for this report because we chose a few chain restaurants however it didn't negatively impact our experience at all.

Day One -- Flew into Seattle from Chicago. We were happy to leave the Midwest where temps were near zero and snow was falling heavily --Don't get me wrong, I love my home but it's a little early for these conditions. Stayed at the downtown Renaissance. Very busy hotel -- high traffic area due to it's location right off of the freeway.
Friendly service from the front desk crew, concierge and bellhops. The room was nicely decorated. However the bathrooms were small and the towels were very hard. Our room was located on the same side as the freeway. The traffic noise didn't bother us but we are accustomed to living in a high traffic neighborhood. The location could be a problem for light sleepers. I would stay at the hotel again however I would prefer a location not on a hill and one that is closer to the shopping area. Had dinner at Trattoria Mitchelli (Italian) in Pioneer Square. We had pasta dishes that were less than $20/dish (sorry I can't recall price range for other items). The food was tasty and they offer regular or lite meal portions. The cab driver gave a brief tour of the shopping district as we returned to the hotel. Typical holiday festivities (lights, shoppers, outdoor music) --- nice atmosphere. The next morning, ate a buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Pretty good options for a hotel buffet. I wish we had more time in Seattle but I'll plan an extended trip in the summer.

Day Two --- Departed Seattle headed to San Francisco via Amtrak. It has been almost 20 years (when I was a child) since I had taken a train trip and I really didn't know what to expect because of the stories of train delays, bad food, and terrible service. We had sleeping accomodations in a roommette (smallest size room). This space was SMALL for two size adults. I would recommend it for one person but not for two. Fortunately, there was an empty room next to us and I was able to sleep in it. Included in the price was all meals and drinks, a wine tasting event, movie and a personal attendant. I must say that it was an enjoyable experience but I would not want to be on the train for more than a day. The views were also nice but we missed the scenary of the Cascade Mountains because we traveled through this area at night. I had difficulty sleeping for the entire night but I did enjoy meeting new people and speaking to the train attendants. I wish more upkeep was done for the train and the stations. I was surprised at the number of seniors and adults who traveled by train vs. airplanes. It's a shame that this form of transportation may be eliminated in a few years due to the lack of funding/interest.

Day Three --- Still on the train. Woke up to pretty bad views near Sacramento, CA (grafitti, trash, homeless people). This was a humbling sight and makes you realize how blessed you really are. The train was only 2 hours late and all of the workers seemed pleased that we were "on-time". Finally arrived in Emeryville, CA and there was a shuttle bus to San Francisco.

San Francisco --- This was our first trip to the city and I absolutely loved it. The weather was perfect (in the 60's) but the locals were complaining that it was cold which I thought was extremely funny. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Union Square. Very large, convention type hotel. PERFECT location to Union Square shopping. I have heard of very small rooms in SF but I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and the bathroom!!! The front desk staff and bellhops were friendly. The concierge staff was not friendly but they weren't rude either. I would say they efficiently did their jobs and they were a little cold. There's a restaurant/lounge on the 36th floor that has great nightime views of the city. The food wasn't very good but the views were wonderful. Overall, I would make a return trip to this hotel. We were in SF for 2.5 days and I wish I had another week. Walking around the hilly surface was a little rough for my Mom but she did get a lot of exercise. Key highlights --- a) Shopped in Union Square. There was alot of power shopping done so be prepared to be run over by hurried travelers with big bags b) Alcatraz (highly recommend the audio tour. Definitely use the trolley service (SEAT) if you have difficulty walking. it runs each hour --- see Blue and Gold fleet website for more info. Note: no food or drink is allowed on the island) c) Fisherman's Wharf -- cheap souvenirs are available and close to all of the pier activities. I wouldn't stay here for my first trip to the area but because rooms are cheaper, I would consider the location for the next trips. d) Grayline Deluxe City tour --- it's a good introduction to the city but don't expect to spend alot of time in Union Square, Chinatown, Cliff House, North Beach, Lombard Street, Castro etc. We stopped at City Hall, the Japanesse Gardens (I believe this was in the Presido), Twin Peaks (absolutely beautiful views of the city), Golden Gate Park and one other place for pictures of the Victorian houses. We drove by alot of the key places I wanted to visit but I wasn't really disappointed. It made me realize that more time and a car was needed in order to visit some of these places. e) Grayline Tour -- Wine Country. I'm a relatively inexperienced wine drinker therefore I used this tour as a learning experience. We visited Kirkland, Madonna Estates (both in Napa) and Viansa Wineries (Sonoma). Kirkland and Viansa were visually appealing because the estates were large, modern, nice gift shops and numerous phote ops but the best experience was at Madonna because the director live and breathed the winemaking business. Gave alot of details on the winemaking process and history of the region. I highly recommend spending a few days in the region and visit several of vineyards in the fall. We had a Mexican lunch in downtown Sonoma. A very cute town square area with speciality shops and wine tasting ops. f) restaurants --- Most of our meals were in the Union Square area. I would have loved to dine in North Beach or Chinatown but do to the limited time and because we were tired after the adventurous days, we ate pretty close to the hotel. John's Grill --- pretty tasty lobster ravioli and very fresh prawns. A little pricey for lunch but all meals in San Fran are pricey. Cafe Tiramisu (sp). We accidentally ran into this location. It's located in an alley by Sam's Grill going towards Chinatown. Fabulous service, very good spare ribs (mom had chicken), the dessert and wine lists were large (although we didn't have either -- both looked great). We also at the Cheesecake Factory (yes it's a chain but I try to eat at one when I visit a new city) and Lori's Diner (didn't realize it was a chain until I returned home). Good 60's type dinner with sandwiches, malts, fries, desserts, etc. Relatively inexpensive. Perry's Grill --- decent pasta/nice atmosphere.

All in all --- we had a great trip. San Fran is a great city and I will definitely return. I also got the impression that it would make a great place for a honeymoon. Thank you to all who helped with planning my trip.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM

GroupTravel, I read your report with interest, especiall the San Francisco part - I live here.

Yes, 60s IS cold accompanied by a wind

Yes, the better the view the less they care about food

No, Japanese gardens are in Golden Gate park, not in Presidio.

Thank you for such a nice report!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM

GroupTravel, I read your report with interest, especiall the San Francisco part - I live here.

Yes, 60s IS cold accompanied by a wind

Yes, the better the view the less they care about food quality

No, Japanese gardens are in Golden Gate park, not in Presidio.

Thank you for such a nice report!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I apologize for posting twice!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Amazing! I took nearly the exact same trip this year in April and am also thankful to this site for helping me plan.

I decided to plan around the tour of my favorite recording artist, Tori Amos. Caught a show at home in Chicago before flying to Seattle. Stayed at Best Western Exec near the needle. . .nothing impressive to report, but it was nice to be away from the buzz of downtown, but close to the monorail and space needle. My FAVORITE restaurant I think I've ever eaten in anywhere was THE BROOKLYN right across from the lower section of Benaroya Hall. Singles are sat at the chef's bar where you can watch all food being prepared and chat with other singles whom the first night were preparing to watch the symphony at Benaroya. The second night (loved it that much) I sat next to radio DJs preparing to interview American Idol finalists the next day. Caught the Tori show that night and flew to San Jose the next day. A friend took me to both San Fran and Napa during my visit. Golden Gate Park is gorgeous and we took a short trip to Stinson Beach across the way. Not a good idea for the faint at car sickness, but gorgeous views. At Napa, we toured Robert Mondavi winery and stopped by V. Sattui for sweeter wines. They have a wonderful medium red called GAMAY ROUGE. Had supper at Rutherford Grill where I ate the best barbeque ribs of my life.

Interesting to see someone with almost the same itinerary! Would love to chat more via email if you are interested. Email [email protected]