Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle restaurant for 50th birthday dinner (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-restaurant-for-50th-birthday-dinner-796341/)

jranger Jul 19th, 2009 04:18 AM

Seattle restaurant for 50th birthday dinner

We are looking for a "special" restaurant in Seattle for a romantic dinner to celebrate my 50th. On this forum, I've read about the dining room at the Fairmont. Would that be the best spot? Any other ideas? This is for September; we'll be staying downtown; the sky's the limit as far as money is concerned (don't tell my husband I said that!!)

NWWanderer Jul 19th, 2009 08:21 AM

No, I wouldn't go to the Fairmont, personally. I usually celebrate my birthday at Dahlia Lounge but that might not be romantic enough (although I think it can be). I'd look at Campagne. Canlis is a very romantic spot but I've been hearing mixed things about the food lately.

suze Jul 19th, 2009 08:26 AM

No, I also wouldn't go with the Fairmont. Dahlia Lounge is a very nice place. Campagne is another great suggestion. I find Il Bistro 'romantic', it's an Italian restaurant in the Pike Place Market.

But what about somewhere with a view? Like Six/Seven at the Edgewater hotel, Anthony's Pier 66, or Waterfront Seafood Grill?

christy1 Jul 21st, 2009 08:30 AM

I've heard very good things about the new chef at Canlis--that would be on my short list.

In 31 years in Seattle I've never known anyone that's eaten at the Fairmont.

lennyba Jul 21st, 2009 08:37 AM

I've eaten at the Fairmont. :) The Georgian room is expensive and pretentious and I wouldn't say it's especially romantic. Shucker's isn't bad, but def. not romantic.

How about a drink at the Sorrento hotel before or after dinner? V. romantic.

jranger Jul 21st, 2009 10:37 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies. We will definitely skip the Georgian at the Fairmont. I've checked out other reviews on the Dahlia Lounge, Canlis, Campagne, Il Bistro, SixSeven, Anthony's and the Waterfront Seafood Grill. They all look quite fabulous. I kind of like the idea of a waterfront restaurant since we're from the prairies and don't see the ocean too often! Perhaps we'll have to dine at two or three places just to be sure which is best!

beanweb24 Jul 21st, 2009 11:11 AM

If price really isn't an option and you want to go *all out* then to go The Herbfarm in Woodinville. They've been offering free town car service from Seattle to Woodinville all summer long -- you could call and see if that's still an option for Setpember.

http://www.theherbfarm.com/

PamSF Jul 21st, 2009 11:26 AM

I think Dahlia Lounge is a bit "casual" for a 50th. We used to really love this place but returned last year and were leftfeeling like the memory was better than the present experience.

Campagne is comfortably more "upscale" IMHO and is part of the Inn at the Market. The views from the windows of the market and the bay beyond are great.

I have heard very good things about Rovers but do not know.

lennyba Jul 21st, 2009 11:29 AM

I had a wonderful NYE dinner at Rovers about ten years ago. Haven't been recently, but that is a good suggestion too.

suze Jul 21st, 2009 12:03 PM

I'd choose one of the waterfront places because I think a view of the water with the sparkling city lights is about as romantic as it gets! And very special to Seattle.

I agree Dahlia's probably a bit casual for a big occasion (though I find it's atmosphere kinda romantic). But Campagne's is elegant, I agree.

I know it's personal choice but Herbfarm, Rovers, those "foodie" places just don't send me (they seem so fussy and incredibly expensive, but what do I know since I've not been to them? lol!). And please don't not to to Crush! Boy did I have a horrible experience there a couple weeks ago.

suze Jul 21st, 2009 12:04 PM

for christy1~ I've also eaten at both the Fairmont Georgian Room and Schucker's. So know you know 2 people!

NWWanderer Jul 21st, 2009 01:10 PM

Suze, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who had a negative experience at Crush! I went there with some friends about a year ago and the service was terrible. But I hear so many raves about it...I'd been thinking I should give it another chance but now I'm thinking not ;-).

I do have say that Rover's is wonderful however--Chef Thierry really creates a welcoming, low-key atmosphere, that's really not stuffy at all. I'm taking a cooking class this summer and he's a guest teacher next week, I can't wait!

I've also eaten at both the Georgian Room and Shuckers...as well as the Garden Court when it was open.

suze Jul 21st, 2009 01:16 PM

NWW~ We walked out. That's how bad it was! I've never in my life done that before. We'd ordered drinks, so finished those and asked for the check. I don't want to hi-jack this thread but maybe I'll start a new one with the gory details. I posted my 'review' for Crush at Trip Advisor. It is the first time EVER I have purposely posted something negative against a business on the internet.

lennyba Jul 21st, 2009 01:20 PM

<as well as the Garden Court when it was open.>

It's closed? Aw. I had my first champagne cocktail there.

NWWanderer Jul 21st, 2009 03:47 PM

Suze, I'll check out your review on TA...

And lennyba, yep, it's only being used now for private functions (unless something has changed very recently). I used to love going for lunch and/or drinks after work there...

Rhardy5554 Jul 22nd, 2009 07:57 PM

Only two choices, as far as we are concerned. First would be Canlis (be sure to book well in advance and ask for a view table. Other choice is Chez Shea which is one of Seattle's hidden treasures. Not impressed with recent trip to Rovers (perfunctory service) and Dahlia Lounge (or any of the Douglas restaurants) is fine but not for a big celebretory night.

Rhardy5554 Jul 25th, 2009 08:04 PM

Last night we had dinner at Herbfarm in Woodinville. It is extremely expensive but a superb experience. We did it for my 76th birthday and it was amazing. If you can swing it, have dinner there and combine it with an overnight stay at Willows Lodge (you won't want to go anywhere, anyway, after nine courses with selected wines.

jranger Nov 1st, 2009 11:55 AM

Just as a followup, we ended up dining at Chez Shea. It was one of the most beautiful meals ever. Fabulous service and amzing dishes. Really, really recommend this spot.

happytrailstoyou Nov 1st, 2009 01:21 PM

Thanks for the update.

suze Nov 2nd, 2009 07:08 AM

Thank you so much for the update on Chez Shea. I haven't been there in years and appreciated hearing about it again.