Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle Question- Hotel Again (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-question-hotel-again-779406/)

JJ5 Apr 16th, 2009 08:18 AM

Seattle Question- Hotel Again

After snagging a FABULOUS airfare, now I'm conflicted a bit about the hotel reservation.

I posted a thread about this before and got great answers.

And now I'm conflicted between two VERY good hotel deals which are still dropping as I type.

Hotex Max or Hotel Mayflower

Which one do the Seattle people (natives or of experience)- which would YOU prefer and why.

Also, if there are any Seattle baseball people out there- would you yourself prefer night or day games and why. I have choices on that as well. We'll be there for 5 days and will see 2 games and I don't know which yet.

THANK YOU and I'm so GLAD I waited for this airfare.

If you know anything about Priceline bids for Seattle hotels, please add that too.

Sometimes I'm a gambler and that isn't "out" yet, not all the way- either.

tchoiniere Apr 16th, 2009 08:23 AM

I would probably do 1 day game and 1 night game. Having a day game (assuming a nice day), you will see the skyline during the day. Then during the night game, you get the opposite view. I usually choose a night game as that generally gives you all day to do whatever else, whereas a day game takes up your whole day - time that could be spent at museums, etc.

happytrailstoyou Apr 16th, 2009 08:26 AM

The Mayflower is a classic Seattle hotel and a big favorite of locals. The Max used to be The Vance, but rooms (many small) were updated with a modern decor three or four years ago. Both are well situated for shopping, dining, sightseeing, and walking to the ball game.

HTT

elnap29 Apr 16th, 2009 08:44 AM

We stayed at the Mayflower in July 2008 - our only trip to Seattle.  We really liked it and would stay again.Pros: 
- very comfortable beds - excellent, friendly service - great location:  1 block from great restaurants, especially Lola's, Dahlia, Serious Pie   just a few blocks from Pike's Market   a door in back of the hotel leads directly into a mall that includes the Monorail station   1 block from the mall with the subway/bus tunnel - nice, comfortable, friendly bar/lounge in hotel lobby with outstanding martinis and delicious happy hour appetizers - easy acccess to public transportaion
Cons:
classic rooms are small - although very comfortable (we spent little time there anyway, so we didn't mind)

Fodorite018 Apr 16th, 2009 09:09 AM

JJ5--I think you know that we used to live in the area but go back and visit fairly often. That said, after staying at various hotels over the years, I really like the Mayflower Park. The location cannot be beat, and the rooms are beautiful. Some are fairly small, but others are quite large, even within the classic rooms. Quite a few rooms also have two full bathrooms, which is really nice when more than one person is getting ready in the morning. They have a good restaurant and bar on site as well. The bar is quite nice and feels more like a small restaurant, IMO. As for the games, try to catch one of each. Daytime games are nice if it is sunny, but night games are my favorite there.

JJ5 Apr 16th, 2009 10:35 AM

Yes, for sure- 1 day and 1 night game. That was my first thought, but that means we have to scurry a little after travel. But we will do that.

You definitely have helped me decide.

I almost did it yesterday and then got tempted into bidding on Priceline. I'm glad I didn't get my lowball bid. Since the flights went on sale this morning and we are at least $200 cheaper totalling all the legs right there- I'm going to go with the Mayflower.

THANKS ALL. Look for some more Seattle questions during the summer.

Oh yes, does anyone know if you can get Mariners' tickets at the gate during a mid-week September, or do you rarely sell-out??

I might buy them ahead anyway. I have done 1 game ahead and 1 game purchased there about 3 or 4 times now. But in some places, like Boston or St. Louis- that's not always possible.

You've all been great!

Gardyloo Apr 16th, 2009 11:15 AM

September midweek ought to be okay at the gate, unless it's in the middle of a pennant run (from my lips to God's ears...) but you'll almost certainly get better seats by buying them earlier, unless you want to go through StubHub for season-ticket holder's castoffs. (Which might not be that bad an idea, worth investigating anyway as the season is still young.)

The Mayflower is a good choice.

suze Apr 16th, 2009 11:29 AM

The Mayflower Park is a beautiful hotel, I had a tour just a couple weeks ago, and lunch at Andaluca's (restaurant) with their corporate sales manager. Love it. It's classically elegant without being stuffy. A bit European in feel, as it's an old hotel (oldest continually operating hotel in Seattle. It's location is better by just a couple blocks than Max.

Hotel Max is fine too. It's more "hip" modern in design, decor (it's the old Vance hotel) and remodel. A couple blocks further.

I don't see how you would go wrong with either. If the price is identical, I think Mayflower Park has the edge.

JJ5 Apr 16th, 2009 11:46 AM

Yes, I am going to go with the Mayflower.

90% of the time I do Priceline, so it IS rather a departure for me.

I have bought tickets on e-bay for a game at Baltimore before.
And I have bought from the home team's site many, many times.

Thanks for your insight.

My sons think I am being really bizarre doing this so far out because of not knowing team placement etc. at this point in April.

Oh well, nothing ventured- nothing gained. And besides I always wanted to see Seattle itself, anyway.

If we are in the mix, like last year- it won't hurt though.
LOL!

GO SOX!

Gardyloo Apr 16th, 2009 02:16 PM

<i>GO SOX!</i>

Meh. Go where?

enzian Apr 16th, 2009 02:21 PM

Safeco Field is a lovely place to be on a nice summer evening. I assume that will be so in mid-September too.

We like to go a bit early and enjoy the "scene". And get dinner at the Intentional Wok, followed by ice cream from the Frozen Rope. DH likes the Ichi-Rolls from the sushi place too.

Bobmrg Apr 16th, 2009 03:21 PM

If the Mariners continue to be exciting and entertaining, tix might be hard to come by in September...last night's game was a barnburner.

JJ5 Apr 17th, 2009 08:37 AM

Thanks enzian- my SO is a big, big ice cream person. I will tell him about the Frozen Rope and get him more enthused about the trip. He's not negative- but really bummed out right now. Our cockatiel- his of almost 30 years, is on the way out, I think. It's rather getting to me too. Pitiful. He sees the exotic bird vet today at 4 again. The other two sound good too. Is the Wok one like a Mongolian BBQ- I LOVE THOSE PLACES.

I thought the same thing, Bobmrg. And I'll keep an eye on it. In Baltimore I bought a set the week before the from an ebay account from a 12 game box owner- and he and his friend were in the other 2 seats. (He sent them by next day mail and they were 1/3rd of the price of seats NOT as good elsewhere.) So we had a FABULOUS conversation with some natives at the same time. I might do that again for the night game. And buy the day game from the Mariners' site during the summer.

Gardyloo:

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let's go, Go-Go White Sox
We're with you all the way!
You're always in there fighting,
And you do your best.
We're glad to have you out there in the Middle West.
We're gonna root-root-root-root White Sox.
And cheer you on to victory.
When we're in the stands,
We'll make those rafters ring;
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Let's go, Go-Go White Sox,
Chicago's proud of you!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!

Root-Root-Root for the White Sox.
We'll cheer you on to victory.
When we're in the stands,
We'll make those rafters ring;
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Let's go, Go-Go White Sox,
Chicago's proud of you! (Play ball!)
White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let's go, Go-Go White Sox!
Chicago is proud of you!

(You need to hear the tune.) But I actually DO remember and was there 1959 winners that WERE the GO-GO Sox.

Gardyloo Apr 17th, 2009 08:43 AM

Er... as a teenager in LA I attended the 1959 World Series between the Sox and the Dodgers.

Sox lost. Go... go... gone.

lennyba Apr 17th, 2009 10:35 AM

<We're glad to have you out there in the Middle West.
We're gonna root-root-root-root White Sox.>

Heh. That's not going to get you help with future Seattle questions. :)

I think you made the best choice with the Mayflower. I spent more than my share of time at Oliver's back in the day.

Fodorite018 Apr 17th, 2009 12:30 PM

lennyba--My friend and I spent the afternoon in Oliver's after doing the Seattle 1/2 marathon one year. Perfect place to relax!

enzian Apr 17th, 2009 01:03 PM

And I spotted a celebrity (who shall remain unnamed) there a few years ago. Nice place!

lennyba Apr 17th, 2009 02:39 PM

C'mon enz...give us a hint!

suze Apr 17th, 2009 04:06 PM

I just had a wonderful lunch today at Andaluca's (Mayflower Park hotel's restaurant, besides the lovely Oliver's lounge).

pumpkin Apr 17th, 2009 04:46 PM

For baseball tickets, try Stub Hub. You can wait until later--people start dropping their price--unless they are doing well!

Season Ticket Holder for 23 years!