Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle poll - Hotel Monaco vs. Alexis Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-poll-hotel-monaco-vs-alexis-hotel-204501/)

John Nov 5th, 2001 09:55 AM

Seattle poll - Hotel Monaco vs. Alexis Hotel

I am planning a 4 day trip to Seattle next summer and I have come across the Hotel Monaco and the Alexis Hotel. Both hotels seem great and I found the same rate for both on their websites. Since both hotels are owned by the same company.., which of the two would you stay in. Please vote in my very unscientific fodors.com poll, which would you choose and why? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

wendy Nov 6th, 2001 07:43 AM

John, I have never stayed in either hotel but living here in Seattle I know that both have great reputations- probably not helping you with that statement! Try looking at some of the user reviews here: http://seattle.citysearch.com/section/hotels_visitors/ <BR>I will say that the Alexsis is closer to Pike Place Market and the museum while Monaco is closer to shopping.

xxx Nov 6th, 2001 08:01 AM

Hotel Monaco made the 100 best list for Conde Naste.

ldsant Nov 6th, 2001 09:33 AM

I live here in SEA have stayed at both places as well as had company stay at both places. They have different "feels" to them. You can't go wrong with either one - especially if they're the same rate! The Alexis is a little less "hip" and the rooms are a bit smaller than the Monaco but the service is excellent! They are also within a couple of blocks of each other as well - central downtown for the most part. Hope this helps. They're both good hotels.

John Nov 6th, 2001 09:45 AM

Would it make it difference if small children were part of the mix? We as a family will want to spend time at both Pike Place and Pioneer shopping. And as Wendy said.., Alexis is closer to Pike Place and Monaco closer to shopping. Which one is closer to public transportation? And last questions, do you know of any less expensive option to get into the city as we won't have a car? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Mitch Nov 7th, 2001 04:45 AM

I would vote for Hotel Alexis, closer to Pike Place and the waterfront.

wendy Nov 7th, 2001 07:34 AM

John, transportation is pretty good in both areas. Keep in mind that the bus is free in the downtown area so you can hop on and off no problem. The downtown is also pretty compact so you can walk up to Westlake and take the monorail to Seattle Center where there is a ton of fun things for kids! That was always the highlight for me when I was a kid. <BR>Your going to be happy with either choice!

John Nov 7th, 2001 08:17 AM

John, (great name) - The Alexis will probably suit you better with kids - the Monaco is more a business hotel, located in the middle of the financial district, whereas the Alexis is located on First Avenue three or four blocks from the south end of the Pike Market complex and the same from Pioneer Square, also two blocks from the central Waterfront. One bus advantage is that First is a 2-way street with (free) bus stops right at the hotel in both directions, whereas the Monaco is on a one-way street N/S and a steep hill E/W, so the bus will be less convenient. I think you and your family will find the Alexis more convenient overall.

ldsant Nov 7th, 2001 12:25 PM

Gosh - I NEVER disagree with John Sevy, but I do on this one. . . :) (sorry, John). As far as having children, I wouldn't recommend either one of these hotels. Both are quieter, more upscale type hotels - they don't seem very conducive to families. There are others in SEA that are. Also, if you are only planning on staying in the downtown area during your entire trip (although I would STRONGLY urge you to take a day trip or two out of the downtown area) then you don't need a car. You can even get from the airport to town via bus (greyline or metro), cab, or shuttle. Wendy is right, transportation downtown is easy and free. There is also a trolley ride and the Duck adventure (not sure it runs now though it does run during the summer and is a blast!)

John Nov 7th, 2001 12:45 PM

(Blush) ldsant, we don't disagree. I wouldn't immediately pick the Alexis for a family hotel, it's just that John (the other one) seemed to suggest those were the sum of his choices. Having kids stay with you at "upscale" places can be good for the kids sometimes, and kid noises in stuffy hotel restaurants are good things IMO. Frankly, I don't know where I'd suggest in the immediate downtown areas for families, aside from the "suites" places near the convention center or Lake Union. What places were you thinking about?

John Nov 8th, 2001 05:08 AM

John and Isdant thank you for the help so far. We are planning on spending most of the time is the downtown area. I would think one day we would be renting a car and going to Mt. Rainier for a daytrip.<BR><BR>The reason I chose these two hotel was because I was able to find a very good price for them and I know the chain is a good one from a stay in New Orleans once and all the reviews I've read about the chain.<BR><BR>There will actually be two families..., both with small children. Ages 5 through 1.5 a total of 4 children. I am looking for somewhere downtown so we don't need to rent a car for the entire trip. I figured with the children we would need to be centrally located and someplace we could walk to many of the attractions or take a quick monorail trip to the space needle. I have heard the area around the space needle isn't always the best area, which led me to downtown. <BR><BR>I would love any other suggestions that you might have. Thanks for all your help so far!