Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle-ONP-Portland in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-onp-portland-in-october-1091136/)

Rotemy Mar 26th, 2016 05:11 AM

Seattle-ONP-Portland in October

We are planning a 10-12 days trip around Seattle, Olympic National Park on around to Portland in October. We are into cities/hiking/scenery/coastline and on a fairly careful budget. (We are flying to NY & Boston for the last week of October)
We know it's not the perfect season, but we'll have to deal with that :-)

Here is the plan at this point.
Would appreciate any feedback and suggestions!
Days 1-3 Seattle (staying at a friend house)
Days 4-7 ONP (Any recommended places/trails for October? Motels?)
Day 8-9 Portland
Day 10 Gorge- (or Multnomah Falls / Bridal Veil Falls?)
Day 11 Mount St Helens (Don't know if we should clime it, maybe just visit the visitor center for the view…)
Day 12 fly out in the evening from Seattle

Is it a good time to take the 101 near the coastline?

Thanks for your help!

tomfuller Mar 26th, 2016 05:42 AM

See my answer to to your other thread.

happytrailstoyou Mar 26th, 2016 07:53 AM

Mt. Rainier is much more spectacular than Mt. Saint Helens.

HTtY

Rotemy Mar 26th, 2016 09:19 AM

happytrailstoyou - but I read that it is not recommended for October...

tomfuller Mar 26th, 2016 10:01 AM

The reason for not visiting Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens in October is the possibility of snow. Forest Service Road 25 in the Gifford Pinchot NF may be opened in late summer after a lot of work. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffor...d=fseprd486364
When it is open, it is a great way to see the east side of Mt. St. Helens on the way from Mt. Rainier south to the Columbia Gorge.

Gardyloo Mar 26th, 2016 10:12 AM

Here's a rough idea about where to spend your nights.

1 Seattle
2 Seattle
3 Seattle
4 Port Angeles
5 Port Angeles
6 Kalaloch/Lake Quinault
7 Astoria
8 Portland
9 Portland
10 Hood River
11 Olympia
12 Depart

On Day 4, visit Hurricane Ridge before spending the night in PA. On Day 5, travel as foot passengers on the ferry to Victoria BC for the day. Or, alternatively, if you don't want to do that, shift everything to Day 9 up one day and add an additional night in Hood River.

Day 6 (on this schedule) drive from PA to the Hoh rain forest visitor center and hike the Hall of Mosses trail, then continue south to Ruby Beach just north of Kalaloch. Try to get space in Kalaloch for that night, or if nothing is available, continue south to Lake Quinault.

On Day 7 visit Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the river, continue south over the bridge to Ecola State Park south of Cannon Beach, then end up in Astoria for the night.

Days 8 and 9 are in Portland. On Day 10, drive to Hood River via Timberline Lodge, then the following day start by visiting Multnomah and Latourell Falls along the old Columbia Gorge Highway, then up I-205 and I-5 to Johnstone Ridge at Mt. St. Helens. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for both Mt. St. Helens and for Mt. Hood; if it's socked in or raining (could even be snowing) skip the long drive to the visitor center.

I'd recommend Olympia for the last night; the state capitol is lovely and if you're there on a weekend, the farmers market in Olympia is very nice. Plenty of fun restaurants in the downtown area, too.

If you opt for skipping Victoria, consider modifying the timetable like this:

5 Kalaloch/Lake Quinault
6 Astoria
7 Portland
8 Portland
9 Hood River
10 Hood River
11 Paradise/Seattle
12 Depart

Use Day 10 for a full day's tour of the Columbia Gorge, and the Hood River "fruit loop," which should include some of the many wineries in the area, as well as good autumn color in the Hood River Valley orchards.

On Day 11, drive east to Maryhill (visit the museum and Stonehenge) then north to Yakima. If the forecast for the mountains is favorable, take US 12 west from Yakima to and through Mt. Rainier. If possible, spend the night at the Paradise Inn; if not continue through the park to one of the towns outside the park boundaries, such as Ashford. Then the next morning it's an easy drive into Seattle.

If the weather's not so hot, keep going north from Yakima to I-90 and cross the mountains toward Seattle. You could consider spending the night in North Bend, then visit Snoqualmie Falls before heading into town.

Some alternatives to consider.

Rotemy Mar 26th, 2016 10:50 AM

Gardyloo - WOW! You are the best!

jcarufo Mar 26th, 2016 01:10 PM

Gardyloo's suggested itinerary is fantastic and adventuresome. You would have an activity packed 12 days. My only suggestion for change would be (since I live in Portland and it's a much nicer city) 2 days in Seattle and 3 days in Portland. It's too bad your time frame can't be pushed two weeks forward as Indian Summer in the Northwest is basically Heaven on Earth. Typically by Halloween it will be raining, but no big deal. Urban temps at worst will still be in the 50's to 60's with 'possible' snow in the mountain passes. Just stop in the flagship REI in Seattle to pick up a raincoat and you will fit right in. Please leave your umbrella at home though. They are soooooooooo tourist.
One other thing you might consider with that 'extra day' in Seattle is to take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria for the day. Stunning city not to be missed.
Don't worry if you don't feel you have enough time to totally experience everything on your 1000+ mile journey. You will be back before you know it looking for a house and Subaru Outback, because it's stolen your soul.
I would highly recommend the itinerary, or something like it, that Gardyloo suggested, but it really doesn't matter what you do. It's all going to be amazing. Stunning coastlines, forests, beautiful cities, parks, mountains, rivers, lakes, and high deserts all packed right next to each other and accessible to everyone. Can't ask for much more than that.
One other suggestion and request; please say 'hello' or 'have a nice day' to people you pass on the street. Otherwise, we will think you rude.
Have a Great Northwest Vacation and Welcome.
jc

happytrailstoyou Mar 26th, 2016 06:17 PM

<i>One other suggestion and request; please say 'hello' or 'have a nice day' to people you pass on the street. Otherwise, we will think you rude.</i>

When did this become the thing to do?

When I said hello to people on the street in Portland, they acted as though I might be soliciting them for a romantic adventure.

HTtY

Rotemy Mar 27th, 2016 03:53 AM

jcarufo - Thanks!
Everybody in the office are looking at me to see why I'm laughing so hard :-)
Because I'm coming to USA for a family wedding, unfortunately I can't change the dates. But as you said, I know we'll have a great time no matter what!

Have a nice day! ;-)