Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle in May (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-in-may-668002/)

hailbird Jan 7th, 2007 08:56 AM

Seattle in May

A group from Wisconsin going to Seattle for a wedding in early May. Since funds are very limited, due to medical expenses this past year, we are looking for a clean but reasonably priced hotel either downtown or near airport. Seems downtown is quite pricey and we don't mind driving if need be.
Holiday Inn Express on International seems reasonable, but would like your input. Also, will have two days to sightsee. What should we not miss? Would whale watching be available? What will the weather be like?
Thanks much for your help.

suze Jan 7th, 2007 09:04 AM

I would not stay near the airport. It is not convenient and it is not a nice area. Sixth Avenue Inn (downtown) and the Mediterranean (lower Queen Anne) are two hotels which are convenient and won't break the bank. Or some people like the Silver Cloud either on Lake Union or Capitol Hill.

Weather in May could go either way... could still be cool and rainy or could be an early summer. You just never know around here.

Suze in Seattle

suze Jan 7th, 2007 09:05 AM

For must-see's I would include:
Pike Place Market
Waterfront
Pioneer Square Historic District

rickandpat Jan 8th, 2007 04:20 AM

I'm not a Seattle expert, but one pretty day when I didn't feel like spending a lot of money (we were staying at a downtown hotel for a conference) I walked to the pier and took a ferry to Bainbridge Island. Roundtrip it was about $5.

lenlu Jan 8th, 2007 10:43 AM

I agree with Suze, The Med Inn in Lower Queen Anne is a good option. You might also try hotwire.com for good discounts as long as you can really look at the area the hotel is in to be sure it's desirable. I think walking along the pier is touristy but nice, taking the ferry to Bainbridge is nice as you can walk into the town. Also if you have a car, I think Port Townsend is a good little place to visit. Otherwise, you have the standard stuff, museum, Space Needle, Zoo, Aquarium, Lake Union Argosy tours, West Seattle Alki beach, etc. It'll be cold in May with chances of rain although this is an el nino year...could be drier.

lenlu Jan 8th, 2007 10:45 AM

Oh, whale watching is in the San Juan islands and probably too far for the time you have unless you went up for one night to Port Angeles, Orcas Island or something. You don't see them on the ferry to Bainbridge...seals sometimes.

artlover Jan 17th, 2007 06:28 PM

You might try priceline.com for good hotel prices. Be sure to check out biddingfortravel.com first and see how well others have done.

Weather in May can be nice...or not, but the rhodies (and other blooming trees and flowers) should be out, so if you like gardens, that might be worthwhile.

fritzrl Jan 19th, 2007 12:33 PM

Just to piggyback on Suze's post, in which she recommended as 'must-see'
- Pike Place Market
- Waterfront
- Pioneer Square Historic District

I often recommend to first-time visitors to Seattle who also have limited time, that they plan a whole day of sightseeing around a stroll along First Avenue.

Start in Pioneer Square with your exploration, then move along First Avenue northwards. To your left, you'll see lots of waterfront and mountain views, and be able to determine if anything there looks worth a closer inspection.

After 5-6 blocks (after passing the Art Museum and several interesting shops), you'll come to the fabled Pike Place Market. If you time your arrival around lunchtime, you'll have lots of options there.

If you're still not exhausted, continue walking northwards into the BellTown area, perhaps pausing at one of the numerous coffee shops for a break. Then, if really ambitious, you can keep on-a goin' all the way to Seattle Center.

By then, you *will* be bushed, and it'll likely be close to dinner. So go back to Belltown for a fabulous dinner, and cab back to your hotel.

Fritzl