Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle Hotels and Traffic (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-hotels-and-traffic-585621/)

eurotraveller Jan 27th, 2006 05:54 AM

Seattle Hotels and Traffic

I posted a thread a few days ago asking for info about hotels in Renton but only received one response without specific hotels.

I am beginning a new career which will have me up in Renton about half my work week for 6-8 months and then on as as need basis continually.

I need a hotel with high speed internet in the room and excersize facilities. Due to the fact that I will be spending so much time up there I would like to establish a relationship with a hotel so I feel at "home" each week.

I know there are extended stay hotels but they require you to stay checked in continually.

Can anyone suggest a nice business hotel under $100 per night near Renton? Possibly Tukwila or Kent? If I stayed at the Red Lion near the airport would that be a hellish commute to Renton back and forth each day?

I am putting together in the "due dilligence period currently putting together my salary requirements and along with that researching the cost of my trips up from Portland each week. I need to complete this by Monday so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

dsquared Jan 27th, 2006 06:47 AM

I plugged Renton into wiredhotels.com and found a Holiday Inn with HS internet and and exercise room. Try it, see what you come up with, then call the hotel to confirm the info.

eurotraveller Jan 27th, 2006 08:23 AM

Thanks for that. I have found many that have high speed internet access but I would like to hear from people first hand that have stayed in a one or a few of the business hotels up there.

Thanks.

suze Jan 27th, 2006 02:20 PM

I'll top this post for you, but the problem is Renton ain't Seattle.

It is an unusual question, I've never been asked for hotel recommendations in Renton! Point being, you'll probably do better on tripadvisor, hotel websites, etc. Renton just isn't a business or vacation hub either one (without being rude it's more one of those towns people joke about).

Gardyloo Jan 27th, 2006 03:36 PM

One presumes that the sort of places you're describing are pretty similar from town to town (certainly they are in my experience.) So the main variable I assume would be location. If you want to find something in Tukwila in order to commute to Renton, fine.

As for the commute from the Sea-Tac Red Lion to Renton, my guess would be something like 20 min., depending on where in Renton you're going. The stretch of 405 between the airport and the Renton "S-Curves" is pretty busy at rush hours, going both ways. The various hotel/motel properties near Southcenter would allow you to use surface streets instead of the freeways, which might be a good thing.

eurotraveller Jan 28th, 2006 06:15 AM

Thanks suze. I realize that Renton isn't a vacation hotspot but isn't Microsoft nearby? And Boeing? I figured I might hear from others that have stayed there for business. I had already gone to tripadvisor, many hotel websites, expedia and orbitz but it is always nice to hear about first hand experiences.

Gardyloo, that is good info for me. I would rather not get caught in traffic, even for a short commute.

I will focus on the area right around Renton.

Thanks!

fnarf999 Jan 30th, 2006 03:39 PM

Microsoft's in REDMOND, not Renton, which is a far cry; and few people visiting Boeing from out of town will be visiting the Renton plant. Your best bet would be something in Tukwila or Southcenter. Good luck.