Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle Hotels and Baseball (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-hotels-and-baseball-408916/)

MarshaL Mar 9th, 2004 01:49 PM

Seattle Hotels and Baseball

Two questions for Seattle mavens:
1) Recommendation for 3 or 4 star, LOW-RISE hotel with teenagers (suite or two rooms), probably downtown?

2) Distance from suggested hotel to Safeco Field? Best way to get there?

Thank you

Gardyloo Mar 9th, 2004 01:53 PM

What counts as low-rise? Under 5 stories?

If so, then:
Marriott waterfront (4 floors I think - trolley at the door + walk to Safeco = 20 min. 4 stars, $$$

Inn at the Market - 4 stars, $$$+, bus + walk = 20 min.

Edgewater - on a pier over the bay, 3-4 stars, $$$+, trolley + walk = 20 min.

Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Silver Cloud Inn, all 2 1/2 - 3 stars, all at Lake Union (15 min. from downtown) - bus, cab or car to Safeco, car parking near the ballpark runs between $10 and $20.

For night games, we typically leave a car somewhere in the downtown area walkable after the game, because the traffic around the park, hence the slowness of public transport, is awful. For day games, take public transportation to Pioneer Square or the International District for an early lunch (try dim sum in the ID) then walk to the park.

You might think about bidding on Priceline for one of the Lake Union places; they're really quite nice, in an interesting area (houseboats, NOAA boats, floatplanes etc. on Lake Union across the street). Two rooms on PL will be cheaper than half a room rack rate at the 4-stars downtown.

MarshaL Mar 9th, 2004 02:07 PM

Thanks Gardyloo,

Yes, under 5 stories is about right. So, the Marriott, Inn..., or Edgewater are in areas that are ok to walk in, day or night?

If we choose the Lake Union area, how far is it from Safeco and from other attractions that teens would be interested in?

gail Mar 9th, 2004 03:10 PM

We stayed at Lake Union Residence Inn - perfect for us with 2 teenagers because of space, included breakfast, evening receptions. Has a parking garage and is across from marina with houseboats. We also watched seaplanes land and take off. Still, we did have to drive into Seattle (less than 10 minutes) but I think there is a bus that stops at hotel. Son and husband actually walked from Safeco Field to this hotel, but I do not think it is walking distance - they are just nuts.

mrt Mar 10th, 2004 06:58 AM

Stay away from Lake Union area. We stayed at the Silver Cloud across from the lake. It was ok. The whole area is not touristy. there are 3-4 restaurarnts on the lake but nothing else is desirable about the area and it is much farther from the ballpark and not within walking distance. stick to the hotels previously listed.

kimamom Mar 30th, 2004 12:18 PM

We stayed at the Edgewater Hotel with my fifteen year old daughter and she loved it. The rooms are delightful, decorated in Pacific Northwest decor. Plaid bedspreads, furry bear footstools, teddy bears on the beds and yellow duckies in the bath. The views from this property are just gorgeous.

It is only three stories high, so no problem with the heighth thing. (Are you going up in the Space Needle?)

The breakfasts we had each am were wonderful. One afternoon we had the fried calamari appetizer out on the small deck, overlooking the water, it was just beautiful. A true Seattle experience.

I would highly recommend a stay at this property. ***kim*** www.edgewater hotel.com