Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle: Good breakfast joint near Wall and 1st (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-good-breakfast-joint-near-wall-and-1st-780856/)

pdx Apr 23rd, 2009 02:53 PM

Seattle: Good breakfast joint near Wall and 1st

We'll be in Seattle next month staying at the El Gaucho Inn on 1st Ave or St. Can you recommend a nice, nearby breakfast place to hang out, read the paper, share an omelet? We haven't gone out to breakfast in so long that I'm excited about this opportunity!

enzian Apr 23rd, 2009 03:17 PM

Hmmmm. Sounds like a reason for me to walk down that way on my lunch hour tomorrow and see what's there. I was going to say Macrina Bakery, but they only open for lunch.

One place that comes to mind for the "hang out and read the paper" part, if it is a nice day, is the Red Fin on Stewart & Seventh (in the Max Hotel). Not all that close, but they have sidewalk tables, and a nice breakfast menu with Asian-inspired offerings, including little fritattas that are just right---not too big or filling. (You wouldn't want to share it though; you'll each have to order your own, but at least that way you get to try 2 kinds).

It's one of the few Seattle sidewalk cafes I find pleasant--the sidewalk is wide enough to separate you from the traffic, and there are trees along there.

I'll report back on more ideas after my walk tomorrow.

NWWanderer Apr 23rd, 2009 03:30 PM

Cyclops across the street in the Ace Hotel building.

suze Apr 23rd, 2009 03:42 PM

You can't beat CJ's Eatery for breakfasts (2619 1st Avenue).

lennyba Apr 23rd, 2009 03:54 PM

Lola's or Etta's (at the Market).

pdx Apr 23rd, 2009 04:25 PM

Thanks, everyone.
Enzian - that's so nice of you! Thanks! You know, I wasn't even thinking of sitting outside, but if we could throw that into the mix I would be forever in your debt. Outside, sunny day, paper, coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, toast, butter, jam, omelet or fritatta, no work and turn off that damn cell phone.

1JAR Apr 23rd, 2009 04:26 PM

Pike Place Market..if not too far for you to walk.. La Panier great open bar on the street w open window to "people watch', best french pasteries and egg sandwiches, giant coffee..of course Powells has the all time best PNW breakfasts and views of the ferry from upstairs...the original Starbucks.. great way to start a day...

enzian Apr 24th, 2009 03:30 PM

What a great day for a noontime walk---thanks for the motivation, pdx. (I found a couple of new Belltown restaurants to try myself---particularly a Spanish place, Taberna del Alabardero.)

But back to your question. . . Cyclops looks great; right across the street from El Gaucho, with outside seating if the weather cooperates, and it is on the side of the street that would get morning sun. I didn't check the menu, but I know NWWanderer has good taste!

Macrina Bakery is directly across the street from Cyclops, and opens at 7:00 am, but I couldn't tell what they do for breakfast---maybe just fresh baked goods and coffee. For lunch they do a lot of interesting sandwiches, but I don't know if you'll get that omelette there.

The places in the market suggested by 1JAR are good too, if you are up for a walk. Love Le Panier, although again it's a bakery and I don't know about the omelette.

I'm amazed at all the new places in Belltown. You can tell I don't get out much!

Fodorite018 Apr 24th, 2009 03:56 PM

Bacco's make a really good crab omelet! It is adjacent to the Inn at the Market.

pdx Apr 24th, 2009 04:22 PM

Excellent! Thanks, everyone. I'll present my husband with all these choices when we set out for breakfast and let him decide. Bets are on the closest one!
Enzian, I am so unaware of what is going on in Portland, too. We get into our little routines.....