Reload this Page >

Seattle cool restaurants for KIDS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2000, 11:10 AM
L Rounds

Visiting Seattle for 3 days in July. Are there any restaurants that 9 year olds would really enjoy? Any neat hits for this? Also, any info on the restuarants at the Space Needle? What are the differences between the two? Thought we'd eat at one in the evening when we arrive on a Sunday...any suggesstions etc?
Thanks so much...

Old May 16th, 2000, 01:50 PM
sheri

Yes, my suggestion is don't waste your money eating at the Space Needle! If you must go, go for breakfast--that way you can ride up the elevator for free, and not spend an arm and a leg on dinner. There are simply too many good restaurants in Seattle to make eating there worthwhile. I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "two restaurants" there; if I find out anything to report, I'll let you know.

As to restaurants that are fun for kids, Cucina! Cucina! is a chain, but they have a fun deck overlooking Lake Union, decent (not great) Italian food, and a fun, energetic vibe. I also like the informal upstairs cafe at Ray's Boathouse on a sunny afternoon or evening. Elliots on the waterfront is another family-friendly seafood place. If the foot passenger ferry to West Seattle is running this summer, a fun thing to do would be to rent bikes (try Blazing Saddles near the waterfront), then take the bikes over to Alki and ride along the beachfront path to either Sunfish (fish & chips) or Pegasus (excellent Greek-style pizza).

Old May 16th, 2000, 02:08 PM
John

Hi there,
There's a cafe in Pioneer Square (walkable from Safeco Field) called the Iron Horse, where burgers, barbecue, shakes, the usual, are delivered by cool model trains circling the room. It's across the street from the King Street (Amtrak) station (natch) and is full of RR memorabilia. Food is just fine for 9-year olds or easily distracted adults.

Again, food quality isn't anything to scream about, but a hot dog/burger/ice cream in one of the Puget Sound ferry cafeterias, or out on the deck (great in July) is a super Seattle treat.

There are a couple of good old fashioned drive-ins with car hops, (the Bellevue Burgermaster, off SR520, plays oldies on the PA system while you wait with your lights on for tray service). The Space Needle is fine but pricey and hard to get into.

I think 9 year olds are old enough to enjoy street food at the Pike St. Market (try the great Chinese take away bakery). Another enjoyable thing for kids can be dim sum at one of the restaurants in the International District, where the ladies bring around trolleys filled with all sorts of yummy Chinese dishes and you point and eat. Great on a Sunday morning.

Gotta quit. Getting hungry.

Old May 16th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Patty

The two restaurants you are referring to must be the space needle restaurant or the Emerald Suite, which is just a part of the Space Needle Restaurant that is a little dressier. At very busy times, the Emerald suite is worth reserving because you may be able to get a window seat without waiting as long(windows have to be be requested on arrival). I have had very good and also not so good food up here and it is as expensive as any really good restaurant. It's so beautiful, though, that the food almost doesn't matter, especially to a 9 year old. The kids menu is fine and there is a fun desert called a Lunar Orbiter that arrives in a cloud of smoke and makes a kid feel special. The Iron Horse is a place in Pioneer Square that has consistantly bad food where you'll be rushed out and not have that much fun. If your kids have never been to the Space Needle, eating dinner here will be a memorable and educational experience for them. They'll receive a map of Seattle and can have fun identifying the sights they are seeing as the restaurant revolves (one revolution an hour). Also, if you eat a meal up here, you don't pay the $10 per person it costs to go up to the observation deck. I grew up in Seattle and have been here many times. The food isn't always perfect but not bad, either, like the Iron Horse. The lamb has always been really good.

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:06 PM
John

There’s one place no one has mentioned so far, and it’s the one place I always take friends’ kids too when I want to entertain them in style.
It’s the LUNA PARK CAFE in West Seattle (2918 S.W. Avalon Way;
206-935-7250).
Kid’s love it. It’s 1950s retro (bring lots of quarters for the juke box terminal on your table) and the decor is, let’s say, whimsical. The food is not yuppie, but the sort of burgers and fries and yummy milk shakes kids can’t get a lot of. (They’ve made me a very special uncle.) And despite all that unctuousness, it’s a lot better on your stomach than the goop they dish up at that restaurant in the sky that won’t hold still.
Quite frankly, I've had to eat at the Space Needle several times over the last three decades (for professional reasons), but I have finally decided you can't pay me to get back. Not only has this so-called restaurant some of the worst food in town, but I got food poisoning (which is not something you want to expose your kids to while visiting a strange city).

Old May 17th, 2000, 07:27 AM
hadley

HI I Loved Sazerac in Seattle. Its pretty fancy, but Mellow and Laid back enough for a mellow-laid back 9year old (if youre lucky enough to have one of those...) the food is fantastic.. I agree w- the first response you got DO NOT eat at the space needle... we didnt eat there , but it looked pretty bad for ALot of $$$$ . Pike Place Market would be great for the kid. theres a little stand that sells deeelicious hot homade doughnut balls that anyone would go for!!! Have fun!!!

Old May 17th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Cathy

L Rounds, What about Rainforest Cafe? Our kids love it (we do too). The atmosphere is out of this world with monkeys, birds, waterfalls, thunder and so much more. However, we have not yet been to the Rainforest Cafe in Seattle. For more info check their website at www.rainforestcafe.com. Has anyone visited this restaurant? What's your opinion??

Old May 19th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Tracy

I can't believe no one has mentioned Gameworks!! Kids love it...heck, adults love it. It's an upscale video arcade. Food is good too. 'Video arcade' isn't a description that does it justice either. It's located downtown Seattle. Perfect stop after siteseeing in downtown.

Old May 19th, 2000, 09:24 AM
sheri

I agree that Gameworks is a blast, but that the food is good? That was definitely NOT my experience!