Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seattle cheap eats suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seattle-cheap-eats-suggestions-616337/)

mrstigger May 17th, 2006 10:50 AM

Seattle cheap eats suggestions?

Hi all! The husband and I will be in Seattle the first week in June and are looking for your favorite delicious, but not budget busting restaurants. We like it all...seafood, Asian, Italian, Mexican...whatever.

I've looked through the old posts, but seemed most of the restaurant recommendations I saw were for very high-end places, so I apologize if this has been asked before.

Thanks!!!

Andrew May 17th, 2006 10:54 AM

Well - if you want cheap cheap (and a taste of local character), there's always Dick's Drive-in, a small chain of burger joints themed on retaining their original 1950's character. I always visit Dick's when I'm in Seattle - but I have a kind of nostalgia for it.

There was a good Italian restaurant off Pike or Pine toward downtown down the hill from Capitol Hill - shoot, wish I could remember the name of it!

Andrew

suze May 17th, 2006 02:36 PM

do you mean Machiavelli's?
1215 Pine Street
621-7941

stormygirl May 17th, 2006 03:43 PM

head to the international district, there are so many fantastic places that won't break the bank!

Seven Star Pepper for schezwan & Green Leaf for vietnemese are two of my favs.

Kerry392 May 17th, 2006 04:05 PM

Anything in Pike's Place Market (I especially love Crepes de France; the pasta bar was also recommended). Also, stop at the French Bakery across the street from the Market. AWESOME!!!!!!!

Italian: Trattoria Mitchelli

Mexican: TAco del Mar (GREAT GREAT GREAT!!)

Enjoy!!

christy1 May 17th, 2006 10:34 PM

Stormygirl posted my two favorites-actually, these are probably my two favorite restaurants in any price range right now. 7 Stars is some of the best Szechuan you'll find anywhere. If Green Leaf has a wait (it's small), head up Jackson a few blocks to Tamarind Tree, which has equally good, upscale Vietnamese but is much larger (and has cocktails!). If you want dim sum, Jade Garden is the best, and you will eat yourself silly for $10 each.

There are tons of great cheap spots in the Market-Jack's Fish Spot, Market Grill (HIGHLY recommended for grilled salmon sandwiches-get it blackened, and if you go during peak lunch hour, plan on getting it to go-it is very popular), El Puerco Lloron, Mee Sum Pastry, Piroshky Piroshky, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But, most of these are only open for lunch.

I'm not sure if our definitions of "not budget busting" are the same, but my favorite Italian place is Osteria La Spiga on Capitol Hill, not far from downtown. It specializes in the cuisine of Emilia-Romagna and two people can get wine, appetizer and entrees for $80 or so (obviously less if you get less.

I think the best moderately priced seafood place is Chinook's in Fisherman's Terminal.

Seattle is actually a great town for moderately-to-inexpensively priced dining-if you have any more specific questions I'm sure there are restaurants that will fit the bill.

christy1 May 18th, 2006 08:11 AM

Oh, and happy hours can be a great way to eat inexpensively in nicer places. Some of the best are the oyster happy hour at Elliot's, on the water, starting at 3 when oysters are only 50 cents (the price goes up each half-hour); Maximilien Bistro in the Market, which has a great view and good half price mussels and other french-seafood items; Brasa, the Brooklyn and Oceanaire all have good food deals at happy hour, too. The Seattle Weekly online has a good happy hour guide.

JandaO May 23rd, 2006 10:00 PM

For Vietnamese food,
Head for 12th and Jackson and just start chewing :)

suze May 24th, 2006 07:12 AM

Bakemann's sandwich shop on Cherry Street near Pioneer Square.