Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle Capitol Hill Area Report, Salisbury House Inn, Coastal Kitchen & Cafe Flora

Search

Seattle Capitol Hill Area Report, Salisbury House Inn, Coastal Kitchen & Cafe Flora

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I spent a quick weekend in Seattle Capitol Hill area visiting our daughter and her partner. We received some good suggestions from Suze, Gardyloo, Happytrailstoyou and Jennifernb – Thanks!

Salisbury House Inn Bed and Breakfast – very satisfied with our stay here, would return and would recommend to others.

Located at 16th Avenue East and Aloha. Cathy is the owner, manager and breakfast cook. She is very professional and personable. The house has 5 guest rooms with bathrooms.

We stayed in the Lavender Room, second floor corner room facing the front with a comfortable sleigh double bed, down comforter and pillows and a large bathroom with 6 foot long claw foot soaking tub, as well as separate shower. Attractive room décor including window seats and a comfortable settee. Wireless internet worked well; coffee and tea fixings located on the same floor in the sun porch.

The house was built at the turn of the century. Located within easy walking of some of Capitol Hill restaurants and shops in 15th Avenue area.

Downstairs has two large sitting rooms, one on each side of the entryway. Many books, games and a puzzle set out for guests. The Inn was decorated for Christmas, very nice evergreens and red berries throughout. Two lovely and unobtrusive orange tabby cats hang out in the downstairs rooms.

Full breakfasts cooked by Cathy were the highlight of staying here. Lovely dining room with large windows, common table with lace tablecloth and linen napkins. One morning we had freshly baked pumpkin spice cake, juice, coffee or tea and a delicious brie and leek quiche. Second morning we had a delicious baked apple with cream and wild huckleberry pancakes.

See: http://www.salisburyhouse.com for details, prices and availability.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

We had Saturday dinner for four at Coastal Kitchen on 15th Avenue East. The restaurant was busy, but we only had a 15 minute wait. Open floor plan with attractive tables and booths, close enough together to be enjoyable without crowding on others' space.

They feature a new menu each quarter, in addition to their regular entrees. The current focus is on food from Portugal. I tried a featured drink, “the Assumption”, port and cassis flavored vodka with a lemon twist in a martini glass – tart and sweet together, very nice. We started with calamari and their special Portuguese appetizers. I had a delicious winter salad with mixed greens, pears, gorgonzola and walnuts with a vinaigrette dressing. Others chose salmon, the featured Portuguese roasted chicken and a Caesar salad. All these selections were delicious and the total bill for four, with drinks, was less than $90.

On Sunday, we ate brunch/lunch at Café Flora on East Madison Street. This is a popular vegetarian restaurant which has produced its own cookbook. We were seated after about a 15 minute wait in a large, sun filled atrium with slate floors, a rooftop skylight and a central rock sculptured water fountain. Lovely setting.

We enjoyed their rosemary flavored lemonade – a specialty drink which was delicious. Never would have thought of that combination.

We each tried a different entrée and had fun sampling from each others selections: a butternut squash dish with scrambled eggs, diced, roasted butternut squash, fresh mushrooms and Fontina cheese served with cheesy grits; a breakfast quesadilla with roasted yams & pepper jack cheese with a spicy sauce they make called “Snappy Sauce”; an apple onion roulade made with puff pastry, roasted apples, caramelized onions, blue cheese, pumpkin seeds & roasted yellow peppers; and “Hoppin John” fritters, made with black eyed peas with aioli, roasted peppers and corn relish.

Our only disappointment was the shared serving of beignets. Heavier than those served in New Orleans, not what we were expecting.

We loved all the entrée choices we ordered at Café Flora. Can’t really say which one was the favorite. Great service, relaxed atmosphere, warm and sunny.

Happy to recommend both these restaurants, and were very pleased with our stay at the Salisbury House Inn.

Thanks again to those who offered suggestions!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you so much for your post. Such fun to see your own neighborhood thru the eyes of visitors. I appreciate you taking the time to write us a trip report. Since Salisbury House is 2 blocks from my house, I've always wondered if it would be a good place to put up my own out-of-town visitors (sounds like it is!).
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze and ttt for Happy Trails. So nice to visit Seattle!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM

Oops. I found it. Thanks SusanEva for sharing. I'm glad to know you liked Salisbury House. HTTY
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Welcome Htty,

Thanks for your advice. We'll be heading back again, so will hope to eat at a few of the other places suggested in the original posts.

Best, SE
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM

Gee I grew up at 734 Broadway N. ....a half block off Broadway on Capitol Hill. Who knew some of those big old wonderful houses would turn into B&Bs!!! What fun to read this posting!!! Did you get to Volunteer Park and the Art Museum?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Leanna,

And what a wonderful neighborhood it is, huge trees, houses well maintained, lovely area for walking.

Our primary reason for the visit was to attend our granddaughter's second birthday party, so we didn't sightsee on this trip. But took her to Volunteer Park - she's a spunky little one who enjoys the outside. Hope to visit the Asian Art Museum when we have more time on a future trip.