Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle & Victoria early March - weather and itinerary questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Seattle March 6 at dinner time and depart late morning on Mon the 10th. Have been there three times prior but always in warm weather season. Assuming we will likely see some rain but will daytime temps tend to be in the 50's or do they tend to be colder? Have decided not to opt for Citypass as it doesn't include Seattle Art Museum and that is a definite stop. I've been to EMP already and she's not a big music fan so that's not on the list. Is the food in the Space Needle restaurant decent? Not expecting haute cuisine from a place that is selling a view but looking for romantic and wondering if it fits the bill. Have eaten at Etta's previously and considering it for another dinner but other non-touristy mid-range restaurant suggestions welcomed.

Thining we'll take the ferry to Victoria for a day to see Burchart gardens and the Royal BC Museum. Ferry arrives at 10:30 AM in Vic and heads back to Seattle at 5 or 5:30 PM. Is it too much to fit both those activities in or... is Burchart not worth the price that early in the season?

The remainder of the weekend is fluid - perhaps a jazz show, a movie, making the rounds at espresso cafes.... have also considered renting a car for the day on Sunday and driving up to Bellingham to have lunch with a cousin that I haven't seen in years. Can that drive be done in less than two hours on a Sunday and is there a "scenic" route? Any and all suggestions, comments and other ideas welcomed.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The temperatures will probably be in the low 50s at most, although it can surprise you. It will NOT be in the 50s on the water, so plan accordingly.

March on the Victoria Clipper can be rough - sometimes sailings are cancelled or they have to go so slowly across the Strait of Juan de Fuca that everybody is the color of the Washington State flag by the time they pull in. I might recommend you look at flying instead - www.kenmoreair.com has 45-min. floatplane trips from Lake Union. It's more expensive than the clipper ($100 - $150 RT vs. $60 - $80) but it's a blast and you'd have extra hours in Victoria.

I frankly think it's too early for Butchart Gardens; not worth the time and price before the azaleas and rhodies hit in April/May. The museum is a must-see; also check out the butterfly hothouse at the Crystal Garden conservatory across from the Empress (good in March BTW.)

The food at the Space Needle is just what you'd expect from such a place. Not bad, not very good, not cheap at all. I don't think it's terribly romantic. For romantic I'd try Chez Shea in the Pike market, or Campagne (also in the market) or even Place Pigalle (ditto, with view); the ultimate great-food-romantic-prom date-view place in Seattle is a place called Canlis - on Aurora overlooking Lake Union (or the cab driver will know how to get there) idiosyncratic but very good, but maybe a bit pricey for you.

The slow scenic route to Bellingham (you might even consider this in lieu of Victoria if the weather's poopy) is via Whidbey Island (Mukilteo) with stops at Langley and Coupeville, then the "Chuckanut Drive" along the edge of the water from Burlington into old Fairhaven just south of downtown Bellingham. Via Whidbey it's around 4 hours using that route; if you freeway it to the Chuckanut turnoff it's around 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:43 PM

greetings from the Olympics. weather has been on dry side this year. You can expect unpredictable 50's so come dressed accordingly. Butchart Garden is not going to be at it's best at that time-too early for rhodies and bedding plants. why not spend one night in Vancouver. granville island and queen elizabeth park are interesting and the museums are better.
check Seattle weekly on the net for restaurants.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:44 PM

I disagree that it will be too early for Butchart Gardens, this year at least. Some rhodos are already blooming in Victoria and many trees are as well. You can probably judge by what you see on the Empress Hotel grounds after you arrive in the harbour (whether by plane or the Clipper). If lots of daffodils and tulips are up, the Gardens could be quite pretty with with mass plantings of those and with white and pink blossoming trees, although some trees could well be finished by then. Expect anything for weather - wind, rain, fog or sun. Butchart's provides umbrellas.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I'd considered Vancouver for an overnight but have heard so many good things about it that I don't wish to tease myself - we'll go back and spen at least three days there.

Float plane sounds like a good possibility - I though the view of the sound and islands would be nice from the Clipper but hadn't considered the rough water issues.

Gardyloo - who expensive is "pricey"? We typically split an appetizer, she has one glass of wine, I have a coffee, we each have an entree and maybe (sometimes) each a dessert. Would it it be $100 or less with tax and tip?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Just checked the price of the float planes - ouch! I thought the ferry was pricey at $99 RT - the float plane is about $180 per person RT. Maybe we'll drive to Vancouver instead and visit my cousin on the return trip. I have a prepaid PL hotel for Seattle (the Vintage Park). I can live with paying for a night in Vancouver - we'll bring an overnight bag and leave our big bags in Seattle.

My GF is into clothes and home decor. Any really cool, unusual places to shop in Seattle or Vancouver that I can turn her on to?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Owen, you might be able to get out of Canlis for under $100 but it would be a squeeze. See http://www.canlis.com/main.html for the menu and other details. It is either among, or is THE top-rated place in Seattle most years.

Not fancy, but very nice and VERY Parisian-feeling is a place called Le Pichet, on First Ave. near the market. Huddle in the back on a blah March night, great wines by the Pichet, dy-na-mite food - vive l'amour.

The plane can be cheaper - check internet rates or give them a call, otherwise Vancouver is a good choice (the QE Park gardens are almost as nice as Butchart). People are getting 4-stars in Vancouver on PL for the low $40s US - what's to complain?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Owen,

Welcome back to Seattle. March is definately on the cold and wet side most years so bring the Gortex and sweaters.

IMO the SpaceNeedle restaurant is a waste of money. I agree with Gardyloo's suggestions and will toss in one more. Trattoria Carmine in Pioneer Square. Fantastic Italian very romantic, as close to authentic as your going to get in Seattle. Also check out Marcos Supper Club in Beltown. Quiet and loved by the locals.

We just drove from Seattle to Bellingham yesterday to check out a Berner breeder. It took just over an hour. Went straight up I5. But on the way back we stopped for fantastic pizza at La Fiamma (we always stop here it is so good) and then drove Chuckanut Drive from there back out to I5. It only added another 15 mins or so to our drive.

Right by Pike Market on 1st there is a shop called Found Objects which has really great interesting home things. My beau got me these beautiful antique hand blown bottles there for Christmas. I'm not sure where you are coming from so I don't know which stores may be the same?

Wendy
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm coming from the NYC area but my sweetheart lived for many years in the Manalapan/Marlborough of central NJ where there is plenty of high end shopping. Ditto with the Charlotte NC area that she has recently relocated to. She rarely visted NYC for anything other than business over the years and shops that are not typically found in upscale malls or higher end suburban plazas will mostly be new to her (I, on the other hand, spend loads of time in NYC and never even look at the windows of the stores!). I don't recall ever seeing a Found Objects store when she's been dragging me around... I'll check on that and any other ideas will be welcomed.