Seattle and/or Vancouver in June with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to plan a summer vacation in mid to late June with our two kids who at that time will be almost five and almost two. We have traveled to Hawaii several times with one or both or our kids and over the holidays we went to Cabo San Lucas.

We have also been to San Francisco, San Diego, Atlanta/Savannah (visit relatives) and New Orleans (visit relatives.)

We live in the Los Angeles area. Because long flights are challenging, we prefer staying out west while our kids are small.

For our next trip in June, we are interested in going to Seattle and or Vancouver. Essentially we have seven days, excluding travel time for which I have already accounted for.

We are trying to decide if we should go to Seattle stay three days and go to Vancouver and stay for another three or if persons have opinions about whether we should divide our time differntly or stay entirely in one city.

My kids are very active and love to run around in parks, kids museums and other open spaces. My wife and I love to sight see and eat and I like to jog and do water sports like white water rafting and kayaking.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Any of your alternatives (split even or uneven, or stay put) are fine. Both cities have tons to offer for 3 days or a week.

Although my Seattle city fathers will revoke my political correctness credentials for my saying this, if it were me I'd spend 4 days in Vancouver and 2 or 3 at Whistler. There are plenty of things to do for adults and kids, the scenery en route and on site is grand, and the mountain air will be great. Have a look at http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/t...ies/summer.asp
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:05 PM

I personally like Vancouver. There are lots of parks and green spaces. Stanley Park is huge and there is a cute little train there that adults and children can ride on through a small area of the park. Everyone loves it. There is also a huge walkway all around the park and goes for miles and borders on the ocean. Great for walking or running.
Personally, I didn't find as many parks and green spaces in Seattle.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM

We've been to both cities with our children, and preferred Vancouver. We found Vancouver to have more of the "open spaces" you are seeking.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM

We've been to both and much preferred Vancouver. Consider 2 days in Seattle and the rest in Vancouver.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Another vote for the Vancouver/Whistler combo. Save Seattle for when you'd like to do a Seattle/Olympic Peninsula or Seattle/Cascades trip.

And kudos for taking a sensible approach about kids and flights. If you want to cut the flight time down even more, consider a Portland/Oregon coast or Portland/Cascades combo. Portland is a beautiful city, some lovely parks and things for kids to do, and the whole family would (probably) love spending a few days a Cannon Beach (or someplace like SunRiver near Bend if you opt for the mountains).

Fortunately, no matter which of the above you choose, you'll have great sightseeing and dining.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help. It's looking more and more like Vancouver in June.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Gardyloo, on the other hand, Emmett Watson would have been proud of you.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Last summer we took two kids (11 and 13) to Seattle and Vancouver for 8 days (with two days in Boise in transit). My kids preferred Vancouver more than Seattle. We spent a day in Victoria. Hanging out in Stanley Park was good for another day. Two days in Whistler would be great (I would worry about road construction on the roads between Vancouver and Whistler - does anyone know what the plans are?) It was easier to get around Vancouver (cheaper as well). As much as I love Seattle, I would spend the time in Vancouver.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love living in Seattle, but for a family vacation would also vote for Vancouver instead.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Another vote for Vancouver. Also, going to Whistler is a great idea.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Vancouver is a great place, however Washington State is hard to beat. Among much else, we have Seattle, the San Juan Islands, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Saint Helens, Mt Baker, the Olympic National Park, the North Cascades Highway, and the Columbia River Gorge.

You could also forget about Seattle and Vancouver and have a great trip by flying into Portland and going immediately to the fabulous Oregon Coast--Cannon Beach, for instance.

In any event, you may be surprised to learn that our summer doesn't really start until after July 4th. Our summer months are July and August--not June!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your continued suggestions.

We are not to concerned about the cool weather. We get quite a bit of sunshine in southern California so cooler temperatures will be a nice change of pace.