Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seaside or Cannon Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seaside-or-cannon-beach-629144/)

EBZ Jul 7th, 2006 12:47 PM

Seaside or Cannon Beach

Planning a multi-generational and multi-family trip. Which location would be better for young children (5 and under) and adults. We would like to rent a house, so any suggestions on that would be great as well. We want to be within walking distance to restaurants, beach etc...

happytrailstoyou Jul 7th, 2006 02:36 PM

I vote for Cannon Beach, staying at or near Schooner's Cove.

Fodorite018 Jul 7th, 2006 02:55 PM

Another vote for Cannon Beach. We did this same type of trip a couple years ago, and were near Seaside (Gearhart). We all survived, but noone has asked to go back. We all routinely return to Cannon Beach though, and our family just returned today. CB is a very nice beach with Haystack Rock and the town is enjoyable to wander.

We always stay at the SurfSand Resort which has a few rental homes as well. Their website is www.surfsand.com, but you may need to call to find out about the homes. From the resort, we never drive into the main downtown area as it is a short walk and there are good sidewalks, so safe with small children.

Andrew Jul 7th, 2006 03:36 PM

I like both Cannon Beach and Seaside, but they are quite different. Seaside is much more commercial and a more traditional "beach town" than Cannon Beach, with more of the typical kids play stuff (arcade, etc.) right on Broadway close to the beach. There's some sort of little aquarium (never been there) though I can't imagine it compares in the slightest with Newport's. There's also a long pramenade/walkway adjacent to the beach so you can easily walk along it without actually walking on the sand.

Cannon Beach is much more scenic; haystack rock is one of the most photographed objects in Oregon. But the town has more of an adult, artsy feel, independent businesses instead of big chains everywhere, not as much traffic, and not as much kids stuff. I don't think they are any chain restaurants, actually.

Maybe the kids are too young to appreciate Seaside's kid's attractions anyway at 5 and under - so then I'd probably vote for Cannon Beach, too.

Andrew

beachbum Jul 7th, 2006 04:05 PM

Chalk up another vote for Cannon Beach. Most of Seaside's appeal is to teen and pre-teen, but some of it - small carousel, cotton candy, corn dogs, bumper cars - might appeal to the kids in your group. That's not enough of a reason to stay there though. And, since it's less than 10 miles between the two towns, you can easily do a couple hours in Seaside.

noryglory Jul 7th, 2006 04:23 PM

This was a lengthy post back in May. If you do a search for "Cannon Beach Seaside" you will find it. You will have people that like each place for different reasons. I love Cannon Beach and hate Seaside. Good luck!

mooselywild Jul 8th, 2006 01:23 AM

Cannon Beach is far, far better for really young children. And just about everything is within walking distance (especially if you take the beach instead of the road), safer, too than Seaside. Better shopping/food for the adults. Prettier because CB is very into the "natural look". Seaside is very touristy and sometimes annoying. Best for teenagers who aren't actually at the beach to play on the beach:)Andrew is partially right about the aquarium- nothing special except in the first part, you can buy fish and feed their seals- very enthusiastic, splashy seals! Have fun!

happytrailstoyou Jul 8th, 2006 07:24 AM

Seaside has an aggressive advertising campaign on Seattle TV stations and Cannon Beach doesn't. The reason being.....

mooselywild Jul 8th, 2006 03:47 PM

Really? Didn't know that...