Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   seaside east coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seaside-east-coast-389599/)

flora Jan 20th, 2004 09:21 AM

seaside east coast

I want to rent a seaside property for two weeks in early June with access to a private or quite beach.Martha's Vineyard - I'never been - seems obvious but are there other maybe less chi chi places I should be considering.I have a loathing of crowds.There are just two of us and we want to swim in the ocean, read walk cook and hang out and then maybe have access to some nice restaurants and a bit of people watching at night.While price is a consideration it's not critical.Any help would be much appreciated.

hleesa Jan 20th, 2004 01:12 PM

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the northeast, but the water and air temperature are not very inviting for swimming in early June.

As for the where, you might want to look at Block Island - less chi chi, probably won't be too busy that early in the season. If you have your heart set on actually swimming in the ocean in early June, I would head south instead though.

Sunnyboy Jan 20th, 2004 01:28 PM

Are you wedded to the northeast coast? If not check out the barrier islands in South Carolina (Isle of Palms, Fripp Island, Edisto Island, Kiawah Island, Hilton Head), Georgia (Sea Island) and northern Florida(Amelia Island). In June the water temps are warm enough for some swimming and there are a variety of good restaurants, some night life and no crowds.

Anonymous Jan 20th, 2004 01:35 PM

As hleesa pointed out, if you go swimming at Martha's Vinehard in early June you are sure to have the water and most of the beach to yourself! South Carolina makes much more sense. Also, two weeks on the beach on MV would cost a fortune, even in early June.

mclaurie Jan 20th, 2004 01:35 PM

I had the same thought as hleesa about water temps in Martha's Vineyard in early June. Even further south on Long Island, NY, ocean temps are still chilly in early June. Unless you go much further south (maybe Virginia)or get a place with a heated pool, swimming will be chilly. Actually Florida would be nice early June.

GoTravel Jan 20th, 2004 01:39 PM

Anything ocean front in June on the Atlantic will be crowded.

For fewer crowds, go earlier in the year while schools are still in session.

SusieQQ Jan 20th, 2004 01:53 PM

Schools in the NYC/NJ area are still in session in early June, so the beaches here will not be crowded, but as others have pointed out, the ocean temperature will be quite cold.

suzanne Jan 20th, 2004 02:20 PM

Flora- you may want to head further south. I have been going to the Jersey Shore (way south near Wildwood) every year for the past 7 years, always in the 3rd week of June. Not one of those 7 years was it warm enough to swim. And only about 1/2 the time was I able to sit on the beach with just a bathing suit on, because the other 1/2 the time it's been chilly (below 70 degrees). Mainly due to clouds and/or rain! If it's this cold in South Jersey it's even colder at Martha's Vineyard.

Gene Jan 20th, 2004 03:58 PM

Well, you might consider Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod. You can take a boat or walk the mile-long jetty to Long Point where you will have access to a remote and quiet beach almost all to yourself at this time of year.

The swim in the ocean may be a little cold, but you can't find a better place for reading, walking, cooking and hanging out then this place.

Many of the best restaurants on the Cape are located here and there is no better place for people watching on the East Coast then P-town night or day.

High season rates don't begin until mid-June when kids get out of school.

There are too many accommodations in Provincetown that have access to a private beach to mention here. I will just mention some of my favorites: Provincetown Inn; Sandcastle Resort; Boatslip, and Surfside.

GoTravel Jan 20th, 2004 04:32 PM

No beaches in the United States are private. They may only have private access but all are open to the public.