Search

seaside, cannon beach or newport

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seaside, cannon beach or newport

Hi Fodorites,
Thanks to this forum we are on our way booking our oregon trip for the end of June. We currently have 3 nights planned for an airbnb in the hood river area, then we are thinking of the coast for 2 nights and then maybe portland for 2 nights before heading home.
We tentatively booked an airbnb in seaside. Basically because it looked like a really nice property... but now I'm worried about the posts about seaside being a coney island like atmosphere. We were thinking we would be close enough to cannon beach and could spend our time there....but now I'm also concerned parking might be a headache. Can someone comment on parking in Cannon Beach?
Thinking of relooking at the properties in cannon beach. I also see newport poping up a lot on the forum. We prefer an airbnb or vrbo being a family of 4 adults.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!!!
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Personal views...

Seaside v. Cannon Beach... Seaside is not a "Coney Island" scene, but I'll call it more of a "salt-water-taffy" sort of destination while Cannon Beach is more an "art gallery" one. Once upon a time, Seaside was *slightly* regarded as a spring-break kind of place, but no more; remember it's still Oregon we're talking about. I looked at the Seaside property with the view, and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. As for Newport, if you don't mind the extra driving, I'd see if there's any space in Yachats ("ya-hots") instead, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Honestly with just a couple of days I'd settle on Seaside and use the days to explore up and down the coast - south to Cape Meares and north to Cape Disappointment, specifically Ecola State Park (between Seaside and Cannon Beach) and Cape Disappointment itself.
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Seaside is well known as the Coney Island of Oregon, for good reason. Some people love it with all the arcades etc. It is more geared towards young kids and big groups with families.

Cannon Beach is only 10 minutes away, but does not have any arcades etc. There are quite a few art galleries in town, but really it just has a good variety of shops and restaurants, but the big draws are Ecola State Park and Haystack Rock. This has been my favorite town since I was a little kid growing up in Oregon, then with our own kids and now as they are adults, it is still their favorite town, FWIW. If you do stay in Seaside, don't worry about visiting CB, there is plenty of parking unless you are arriving say around noon-2pm on a nice day then you may have to drive around a bit. FWIW we have often done day trips there from the Portland area and have ever had parking to be an issue. Depending on where the Airbn B&B is, most of CB is very walkable. If it is on the southern end though, say around Tolovana, you will need to drive to be in the heart of downtown as there are no sidewalks along the way, You can certainly walk along the beach, but it is a ways. Just keep the location in mind in regards to that. If you have questions, just ask, I am very familiar with the town.

Newport is nice and has a lot to offer, but it is huge and spread out. You will be driving to the various sites. Nye Beach there is nice, but gets a bit congested. Both of the lighthouses are fun to explore, the working Bayfront is fun to walk and check out the sea lions but and is chuck all of trinket shops, The aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science Center are excellent and not to be missed if you do come here.

It just depends on what you are looking for
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:44 AM

i think the beach at CB is superior to Seaside. I also think CB itself is a more pleasant town for adults—It’s an arty village, whereas Seaside is more the commercial hub. It’s not “Coney Island” but I definitely think it’s more “budget family vacation”.

Newport has the aquarium, more options in terms of food, shopping. I think it’s a more “happening” town—better drinking options than CB, if that matters to you.

of the three, CB is the most walkable. 101 doesn’t go straight through it, and that can be a headache in Newport. I’d be inclined to choose CB because what I like about is that it’s walkable. You don’t need to find parking in town, which I do think can be a headache in summer.

other than that—I’m not sure there’s a best pick. You’ve access to the coast from all three. I’ve stayed in all three. If you plan to drive everywhere, you’ve got even more options—for instance, I’d be looking at Airbnb’s in manzanita over Seaside or Newport any day.
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Gardyloo and mms!! So mush great info!

Gardyloo, thanks for looking at the seaside airbnb link. Salt & taffy vs. Coney Island definitely helps me relax if we stick with that choice. I looked up Yachats on airbnb and looks like this place is available https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1707747...EZV632BcZMUpuS Do you prefer Yachats to the Cannon beach/Seaside area? I did a quick look on google maps, and it looks like Yachats is about just about 4 hours from hood River. Do you think its worth the extra travel time? What looks interesting to me about it is I read quite a few posts that people like the southern coastline scenery most and I'm wondering if we stay in Seaside/Cannon beach if we would ever get to see it? We have also never seen the redwoods...not quite sure how far south that is....

mms, very good to know about the parking and now I have a better feel for the area. The cannon beach airbnb was this one.... https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16996144?wl_source=list&wl_id=531818901&role=wishlist_owner&check_in=2019-06-29&check_out=2019-07-01&guests=1&adults=4&source_impression_id=p3_1558974752_ry8MY4V7WoVCPuD J
we were between the two. We chose the seaside for the view and figured we could drive to Cannon Beach and spend our time there.
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Y'know, I'd probably just stick with the Seaside place and drive to Cannon Beach for beach walks or to shop for driftwood seagulls at the various galleries. It really does depend on what you want out of these days. The Oregon coast is known for its natural scenery, not so much for its towns, and that's where I'd keep my focus. I suspect people who say Seaside is like Coney Island have probably never been to Coney Island.
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Lasagna—the Cannon Beach airbnb looks great! Fantastic location, truly cannot be beat,IMO. With only two days I wouldn’t even consider Yachats.
Gardyloo—Wrong. I’ve been to Coney Island.
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mms
Lasagna—the Cannon Beach airbnb looks great! Fantastic location, truly cannot be beat,IMO. With only two days I wouldn’t even consider Yachats.
Gardyloo—Wrong. I’ve been to Coney Island.
agree with all of this.

and the redwoods are way too far down the coast to go for two days.
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

We could have more days if we change from hood river to the coast.... but we would have to do that very soon if so....
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Lasagna—if this were my trip I would keep the plans you have.
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mms
Lasagna—if this were my trip I would keep the plans you have.
Thanks mms. I tend to agree but it also would be a ton easier for us to fly into San Francisco and out of Portland.
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by lasagna

Thanks mms. I tend to agree but it also would be a ton easier for us to fly into San Francisco and out of Portland.
a little confused as to what you’re doing now?

But you might want to look at availability. it was hard for me to find affordable lodging in the redwoods. Plus, I would think that’s a lot more driving than whatever you’re doing now.

The Hood river imo is a lot more interesting than the southern Oregon coast. I like both. Just saying.
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

I know Im sorry im actually confusing myself.
Just getting to portland for us is a lot more difficult than San Francisco I realize. And second, Im concerned about hood river....
Seems that everyone that goes there is heavily into hiking, rafting, etc....
We generally love the beach, cute towns and good food, nice views. Loved the drive from San Francisco to San Diego...
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:23 PM

I know Im sorry im actually confusing myself.
Just getting to portland for us is a lot more difficult than San Francisco I realize. And second, Im concerned about hood river....
We generally love the beach, cute towns and good food, nice views. Loved the drive from San Francisco to San Diego...
Stupid site erased my nice long answer. Okay. First, tell me some things:

Do you have any interest in actually seeing the Redwoods NP?
What attracts you to PDX and Hood River?
Where are you coming from? PDX is usually pretty easy to fly into, so I'm curious about that, I guess.
What kind of lodging are you looking for in these places? What's your budget?

as someone else mentioned, the OR coast isn't really about the cute towns. And the drive from SF to SD is not very similar to the drive from SF to SD. I've done both.

Hood River IS cute, but I guess I assumed you were into the sailing/hiking/etc. So, if not, I'd be curious as to why you're spending three days there. It's worth it. I'm just not sure it's the best use of your time.
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:57 AM

Hey, I actually posted on your first thread a couple of days ago now. And I since figured out... The reason you're having so much trouble finding a beach place is not just because you are late to the game. You are booking the weekend before the 4th.

On my other thread, I suggested a couple of hotels for you in Portland. They appear to both be open on booking.com.

Originally Posted by 5alive
Northrup Station is on the Streetcar line to take you downtown, but right by the great restaurants and shops on 23rd.

Silver Cloud is a great regional chain--mostly in Seattle. The one we stayed at in Seattle had two queen beds plus a pullout couch. Very roomy. Silver Cloud is near a smaller set of shops and restaurants on Vaughan, including a great French bakery.
Mouse, this is Lasagna's second thread. There was a pretty long conversation that helped her narrow down where she wanted to go. I think they do like the scenery but not necessarily long hikes.

I am thinking in Hood RIver, I know it's three nights, but they're coming from the airport, so it is really just two full days and then they leave for the coast. That is not a lot of time.
Gardyloo helped with the details. To summarize...
I think she wanted to
  • see Mount Hood (lunch at Timberline Lodge and maybe ride the lift up?)
  • The historic Columbia River Highway with all the turnouts
  • Maryhill Museum
  • I do think Hood River is a charmer and there's some shops and restaurants there.
  • To which I would suggest that if you enjoy going to wineries, the ones in Lyle Washington are great. Just over the Columbia at the Dalles and maybe 3-5 miles from the bridge.
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:33 AM

And second, Im concerned about hood river....
Everyone's heavily into hiking and rafting? Hell, no.

- Cute towns - Hood River qualifies, so does White Salmon (a little) and Trout Lake (a lot.)

- Good food - Discover the Fruit Loop - http://hoodriverfruitloop.com/ . Here's an article about the loop - https://www.savoredjourneys.com/a-fo...er-fruit-loop/ . Or here - https://pdx.eater.com/maps/best-rest...er-gorge-guide . Have breakfast at Shirley's Tippy Canoe (an old diner along the historic Columbia River Highway just outside Troutdale) and you're good for the whole day. The area is actually becoming something of a foodie destination (already one for beer and wine lovers.)

- Nice views. Google these places, all easily reached and visited by car, no hiking needed.

Portland Women's Forum (Chanticleer Point) viewpoint

Latourell Falls

Panorama Point in Hood River -

Lost Lake

Stonehenge

I wouldn't change plans. Stick with your priorities - beach towns, Hood River/Columbia Gorge.
Old May 28th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I'll try to explain...

Marvelous Mouse - When thinking about Portland I was attracted to being out of the city to relax a bit with my family. I started off with thinking of a trip in california. We don't do many outdoor sports....we like biking and walking. Love nice views and eating in nice outdoor cute places.
Some of us are coming from Mexico. Have to leave at 3am in the morning and layover in san francisco. Then on to Mt. hood.... Long day...
We basically nixed the idea of flying into San francisco now.... for the reasons you mention.

5alive - thank you so much for your hotel recommendations in Portland. I was thinking at looking at them for the last 2 nights of our trip.
Husband and kids don't drink wine but seeing a winery could be fun.
Question: is the lift to the timberline lodge closed on the sides? If so, I could probably do it. Im scared of heights and couldn't go on a regular ski lift...
I don't think my kids will want to go to a museum but seeing the beautiful nature of oregon will be awesome.
Renting bikes somewhere would be nice for us.....

Gardyloo - Glad to hear everyone isn't heavily into rafting and hiking..... Personally, City girl... I'm so excited to hear that the area is becoming a foodie destination! Thats right up our alley! I can't wait to check out your links.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Sorry gardyloo I wan't finished. You now made me feel so much better about this trip!! Many many thanks! I was overthinking everything....

Can one see the Latourell Falls with only a short hike?
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:09 AM

lasagna--I did not know about your other thread, but just read it. Anyway, I agree with 5alive's suggestion of the Inn at Northrup Station. Fantastic location and it is well regarded. I have not stayed there since we lived nearby, but I have only heard good things about it and have walked past it numerous times. The rates are better than a lot of other Portland hotels, and Portland is not cheap like a lot of people think it is. If they have availability for your dates, I would snag it.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, you mentioned Troutlake..... do you think we should reconsider staying there (instead of the place in Hood River )or just go over to visit and check it out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -