Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seaport Inn in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seaport-inn-in-nyc-65594/)

Jer Mar 16th, 2000 02:16 PM

Seaport Inn in NYC

Is this a good hotel? Is it a good location? Is it a safe neighborhood? It looks to be an interesting part of the city; I like the idea of a view of the harbor. Isn't it an easy trip on the subway to Times Square, Rock, Center, etc. from there?

howard Mar 16th, 2000 03:39 PM

Where is it located? Its address (33 Peck Slip) means nothing to me. Does the hotel give a nearby street or area?

Tom Mar 17th, 2000 07:47 AM

Peck Slip is on the lower east side - probably just above the South Street Seaport and below the Brooklyn Bridge. I dont know the hotel but you can read a little about in on the CitySearch site - <BR>http://www.newyork.citysearch.com <BR>As for the neighborhood - it is just north of the financial district, which is bustling by day, much quieter at night. It's walking distance to Chinatown, World Trade, Wall St. The subway is a few blocks away, and the ride to the times Sq area will probably be 20-25 minutes, changing trains at 42nd St to the cross town shuttle.

elaine Mar 17th, 2000 07:56 AM

I live in NYC as perhaps the others do also, but I would not recommend that area as a place to stay. Except for the Seaport itself, the area tends to be deserted at nights and on weekends, parts of it are quite seedy, and it is not convenient. <BR>There are so many other options.

howard Mar 17th, 2000 08:30 AM

I had a feeling that's where it was. I totally agree with Elaine. It's great during the day, but not advisable for evening. I wouldn't be comfortable walking those few blocks to and from the subway at night in that area which indeed is very deserted at that time. The cost of taking cabs from there to midtown would add up quickly.

Jer Mar 17th, 2000 03:49 PM

Thank you, howard, elaine and Tom. We'll be there in June when sunset is around 8 p.m. As we're senior citizens, we won't be prowling around after dark. We're coming in May when we'll stay somewhere uptown (suggestions?), then go over to Norway for a few days. On our way back we thought we'd like to stay o the water, close to the ferry, etc. <BR>

howard Mar 17th, 2000 06:40 PM

But, Jer, how can you come to New York and not go out at night? As for uptown hotel suggestions, give us an idea on how much you want to spend. (By the way, I envy you your trip to Norway!)

Jer Mar 18th, 2000 08:22 AM

Howard - we're hoping for around $200. Today I'm looking at the following hotels: Helmsley Windsor, Holiday Inn Broadway, Salisbury, Mayflower Hotel on the Park, Millennium Broadway, Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers, Novotel, Radisson, Roosevelt, Gorham, Algonquin, and upper Westside such as the Beacon. We'd like to be up high with a view of the lights and city as we're small town folks (no traffic light). Mostly we're interested in the area between Rock.Centre and the Park. <BR>Thanks for your help. <BR>

howard Mar 18th, 2000 10:45 AM

Jer, you've presented a varied list of choices for your hotel. I try to be objective about the properties I'm familiar with, taking your "criteria" into consideration. <BR>Algonquin--lovely old hotel with personality and a history, where Gertrude Stein and other writers from another era held court. Good location on 44th Street between 5th & 6th Avenues. I don't think you'll get much of view of the lights. <BR>Sheraton Manhattan--okay facilily; one of the few NYC hotels with a swimming pool. Not sure if you'll get much of a view. Conveniently located on 7th Ave., spanning either 51st & 52nd Sts. or 52nd & 53rd Sts. <BR>Sheraton New York--some will criticize this site because it's a businessperson's and convention hotel. However, it's good property, with very nice rooms. And, if you get room on a high floor (and facing the right direction), you'll get a great view of the city day or night. A good location at 7th Ave., spanning 52nd & 53rd Sts. <BR>Mayflower--a very nice old property on Central Park West & 60th St. (I think) overlooking Central Park. Not quite as convenient as the others (about 10-12 blocks to Rockefeller Center, for example). It has a very nice restaurant on the first floor. I'm not sure about the views, though it does overlook Central Park. <BR>Millennium--again a nice property, fairly new, with a great location just off Times Square (forget the exact street--somewhere between 43rd & 45th). Also, not sure of the views. <BR>Roosevelt--Has recently spent millions on a head-to-toe refurbishing. Location (just off Madison Avenue, spanning 45th & 46th Sts.) is okay, but is quiet at night. And, I don't think the views will be that great, but am not sure. <BR>Hope this info helps. I can't comment on the others. <BR>As for a recommendation, if you can get the Sheraton NY for under $200, I'd take it! The fact that it's a major convention hotel doesn't bother me. In fact, it tells me that it's a good prpperty! <BR>If you have additional questions, fire away.

Jer Mar 18th, 2000 12:45 PM

Wow, Howard! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You should be a guide. We'll go over the info right away. We'll let you know what we do. <BR>

Jer Mar 20th, 2000 10:10 AM

Thanks everybody, especially Howard, for helping us. We decided to stay in the thick of things - Quality Hotel & Suites at Rockefeller Center, on 46th between 5th and 6th aves. $179 weekdays, $139 weekends, including breakfast. Sounds good; we'll see. Thanks again

howard Mar 20th, 2000 01:21 PM

Happy to be of help (even though you decided on a different hotel! <BR>That's okay, I'm not hurt!). Don't know the hotel you selected, but the location is good. If you have any more questions as the trip gets closer, I'll try to help.

Elizabeth Mar 21st, 2000 05:43 AM

We stayed at the Quality Inn in December and January. Great location and the hotel is fine - the rooms aren't luxurious but they're spotlessly clean (like an upscale motel). Breakfast is a little spartan - in a basement breakfast room - basically just coffee/tea/juice/toast/danish/etc. Here's a little tip - we prefer to eat in our room so I packed a small tray so I could carry breakfast back up to the room. Enjoy your visit.