Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sea World or MGM with 5 yr old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sea-world-or-mgm-with-5-yr-old-261427/)

jackie Sep 27th, 2002 04:52 AM

Sea World or MGM with 5 yr old?

We will be staying about in the Palm Harbor area visiting my parents. We want to take one day to go to one of the Orlando parks with our 5yr old daughter. Narrowed it down to the above choices.

Sue Sep 27th, 2002 05:03 AM

I'd go to MGM.

Sue Sep 27th, 2002 06:04 AM

I'd go to MGM.

Vavalynn Sep 27th, 2002 06:21 AM

I have never been to Sea World, but the last time I was at MGM I was 12 and my sister was 7. She found it pretty boring and some of the stunts and special effects a little too frightening. I thought it was an okay day. I really dont think it has a lot for small children. I would try Sea World.

Erin Sep 27th, 2002 06:55 AM

It depends on what your daughter is more interested in. A few rides & shows & Disney characters or animals?<BR>We took our 2 1/2 yr old to MGM this summer and he really liked it. He loved the Playhouse Disney show, with Bear Blue House, Pooh, Rolie Polie Olie & Stanley. He liked the Beauty & the Beast show, he liked the Muppets 3-D show, the parade was great & the Great Movie Ride. We missed the Little Mermaid show though. They have 2 thrill rides Rock N'Roller coaster and Tower of Terror if you have a daredevil, and she is tall enough. Also the Backlot tour, which we didn't go on but might of interest to you?<BR>I live in San Diego and we go to SaeWorld here alot. We love it also! But it is a totally different experience. The shows are great, Dolphin show is my son's favorite. You can feed some of the animals. I think it would be a bit more laid back, slower pace.<BR>I think 5 is the perfect age for Magic Kingdom, unless you have taken her there already. Have a great visit.

Barbara Sep 27th, 2002 08:05 AM

My choice would be Sea World. More hands on activities that a 5 year old would enjoy. My 6-year-old twins loved it.

Joy in Virginia Sep 30th, 2002 05:37 PM

I would pick Sea World. My youngest LOVED it when she was 5. The park personnel stationed by the touch pools and interactive areas are terrific at talking to little kids, answering their questions. My daughter especially loved feeding the animals - check out the feeding times when you enter the park to make sure your child gets to feed some of the animals.

cathy Oct 1st, 2002 06:54 AM

Seaworld. We took our daughter at 5 and she loved it! Lots of hands on stuff and great shows.

kim Oct 1st, 2002 07:52 AM

Another vote for Seaworld - plus, it is bigger and will seem less crowded.

A Oct 1st, 2002 08:20 AM

I vote Sea World. I also have a 5 year old and have visited both, Orca wins her heart over the characters easily!

Debi Oct 1st, 2002 08:40 AM

I agree with Sea World. It is a wonderful place for children and everything has a hint of education to it. My favorite thing is petting the baby stingrays..... MGM has rides, etc - but alot of it seems to be overwhelming to younger children and I think a 5 year old might be overwhelmed.

Debi Oct 1st, 2002 12:06 PM

We live in the Orlando area and my 3 1/2 year old son prefers Sea World over MGM BIG TIME! He loves the interaction with the stingrays, dolphins, etc. He could spend the day in the playground. The last time we went to MGM, he asked us if we could leave and go to Sea World.