Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sea Lodge, La Jolla CA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sea-lodge-la-jolla-ca-156805/)

Pete Feb 7th, 2002 08:44 AM

Sea Lodge, La Jolla CA

I'm looking for any info / first-hand experience on The Sea Lodge in<BR>La Jolla. It sure sounds nice but it's pricey and I can't find<BR>anything below the rack rate.<BR><BR>Much thanks

John Feb 7th, 2002 09:11 AM

The Sea Lodge is nice and definitely well located, just on the beach. But I don't think it is worth the rack rates. I haven't been in there in a few years, but the pool deck was not what you would expect at those rates and the rooms were a bit worse for the wear. It was nice, though, to be able to keep my deck doors open at night to hear the ocean.<BR><BR>For alternatives, look at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club (next door, and part of the same complex I believe). If the beach and downtown La Jolla is not that important to you, look at the Hilton Torrey Pines or La Valencia.

sister Feb 7th, 2002 09:18 AM

One of my business clients has stayed there and says it is a dump...that is all I know.

sam Feb 11th, 2002 06:36 AM

ttt

Kelly Feb 12th, 2002 11:30 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT stay at The Sea Lodge. We had a horrible experience there last summer and actually decided to check out at 11PM and then had to drive all over San Diego in search of lodging with our 2 kids! The park next to the property draws all sorts and it is legal to park motorhomes on the street without getting ticketed for up to 48 hours. The one parked below our room was a very old model that had a generate that could wake the dead! It droned on and on and on... The hotel could not do a thing about it either. Also, the rooms are kind of tacky and if you are unfortunate enough to have a room near the (small) pool area, you will hear noise constantly. Their website looks fine, but don't waste your money. The rooms that have small kitchens that face the ocean are OK, but they are also in need of a facelift. The sister property next door, La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, may be more $, but is supposed to be much, much nicer. I would try to get in there if you could. Good luck!

Barbara Feb 13th, 2002 09:43 PM

Kelly, when I read your account of your brief stay at the Sea Lodge I was shocked. I do not mean to disagree with you, I have never seen the inside of the hotel. The motorhome thing really ticked me off, though. I contacted my councilman, who also represents La Jolla, to find out just what the law is. What I found out is, in the State of California, it is legal to park a motorhome on a street for 72 hours, after which time it must be moved at least one tenth of a mile. In the City of San Diego, it is illegal to live in a motorhome parked on a city street. From your description, it would seem that someone was living in the one outside your window. The hotel should have called the police and at least you would not have had the noise of the AC to deal with. My councilmember is trying to begin the process to ban motorhome parking on streets, but is meeting resistance from other members of the council. I hope you found somewhere nice to stay and that you will come back to San Diego.

J T Kirk Feb 14th, 2002 04:38 AM

My experience with the Sea Lodge is echoed in the above posts. It is just a motel. Nothing fancy, but nothing real scuzzy. Just a MOTEL. And the park to the right of it -- whew! does it draw loud, obnoxious kids, who party through out the night. I stayed there on a Friday and Saturday night and I'm not sure if I got more than 2 hours sleep. (Our room was directly next to the park, on the second floor).

hans Feb 14th, 2002 06:24 AM

Much thanks for all the feedback on the Sea Lodge. We're considering a change to the Grande Colonial, partly in response to the comments here and partly to be closer to restaurants and shops.

Kelly Feb 14th, 2002 03:03 PM

Barbara: Thanks for your message. I believe that the hotel did call the police more than once that weekend to complain about the motorhome and advised us that the police could not do anything about it because of the 72 hour rule. We were told by a couple next door to us that they had actually had to suffer for days from that same motorhome generator - it seems that people can actually get away with parking there, then moving for a period of time, then reparking - thus avoiding the 72 hour rule. The occupants did not look like anyone that you wanted to tangle with, so we left. I hope that La Jolla will consider changing this law. The noise and exhaust pollution alone make it a good cause. We will definitely be back to San Diego sometime - just not there.

Barbara Feb 15th, 2002 08:44 AM

Kelly, yes, they can dodge the parking part by moving it at least one tenth of a mile, but they are not, under any circumstances, allowed to be living in it. I will follow up with the city council and see what we can do.

Mark Feb 15th, 2002 09:17 AM

I stayed at the Seas Lodge quite a few times, bit over a year ago. The top floor rooms with high ceilings are pretty cool. Those with a direct view of the ocean were great. The hotel actually had a nice, airy "California" feel to it, unlike some other chains.<BR>But, the comments about being close to the park would worry me and the prices now are silly. Too bad. the location was kind of nice, too for La Jolla since it was slightly off the beaten path, which is good if you like privacy.<BR>Go to the Coronado Marriott.

Joe Feb 15th, 2002 04:12 PM

I haven't lived in La Jolla for a few years now but the Grande Colonial (which it is now called) was never considered one of the top hotels in the area. Maybe that has changed but you might want to solicit some feedback on that hotel. The location is near shops and restaurants but not too near a good beach except for La Jolla Cove which is not much of a beach.

Jenny May 27th, 2002 12:54 PM

It may be too late for your trip, but someone else might find this helpful. My husband & I JUST returned from a week stay at the Sea Lodge & absolutely loved it. We were on the second floor with an ocean view. It may be because we were there "off season", but we never saw any unsavory types at the park next door. We found the room to be quite nice - not elegant - but certainly not a dump. We had a mini frig in the room, and a TV with a VCR. We paid about $200/night (again, off season), & felt it was worth every penny to be on the beach. When I return to La Jolla, I will certainly try to stay at the Sea Lodge again.

lj May 27th, 2002 09:09 PM

The Grad Colonial was redone a couple of years back and is now a wonderful property. You will love it. The Sea Lodge is a dump. Way too many partiers and noisy people at night.

Greg May 28th, 2002 04:24 AM

Sorry to intrude, but are you talking about Best Western Blue Sea Lodge located on 707 Pacific Beach Drive? I am planning a trip to San Diego in September, and this hotel is on the top of my list. I just want to make sure I don't stay there after all these posts.<BR><BR>Thank you.

Barbara May 28th, 2002 07:36 AM

Greg, no, they're not talking about the Blue Sea lodge in Pacific Beach.