Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > SE Alaska - hike, history, ferry, train suggestions?

SE Alaska - hike, history, ferry, train suggestions?

Jan 13th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Kay

SE Alaska - hike, history, ferry, train suggestions?

I think we will fly into Juneau for our 5 days or so of vacation before meeting in Anchorage (have been to the Interior before, took whale watching and glacier trips). I've read the suggestions here for shore excursions from cruises, but where/what would you suggest we base and travel to day hike, see history, see wildlife, and take a float plane trip in SE Alaska? The WP & Yukon railroad out of Skagway sounds good. What else?

Jan 14th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Kay

Also, are there any days when fewer cruise ships are in each town's port so we could avoid them?

Jan 16th, 2001, 01:23 AM
Scott McMurren

I'm going to Juneau this week. I've spent some time there in the summer and REALLY recommend a heli-hiking trip up to the icefields. Check with NorthStar HeliHiking. The WhitePass railway is a wonderful trip--and you can do it in a day on the plane. But you might go ahead and take the ferry up and plan to spend the night at the White House B & B. Nice place, nice folks.
Also, if you're going on a daytrip, consider the Glacier Bayt National Park. Oh, check out the Great Alskan TourSaer. There are 2-for-1 offers from Alaska Airlines to Glacier Bay, kayaking in the Glacier Bay area, plus the heli-hiking. www.toursaver.com
There are several day cruises to get to Glacier Bay via boat--which are fabulous! Have a great time!
sm

Search this Thread