Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SD w/o a car; itinerary guidance, please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sd-w-o-a-car-itinerary-guidance-please-286449/)

caribcarol Jan 17th, 2008 03:17 PM

SD w/o a car; itinerary guidance, please.

Greetings Fellow Fodorites!

This will be my second visit but hubby’s first. Will be staying at the Marriott Gaslamp during Presidents’ Day weekend. Not renting a car for such a short stay. I need tips and suggestions for my agenda. (we’re active 55 year olds).

Arrive Friday at 11:00 am – walk around gaslamp district? Suggestions for lunch/dinner? Hubby is a jazz drummer so would like to go to a jazz club, or any other music scene establishment. Croces?

Saturday – When I stayed up in Carlsbad, I took the Coaster to Old Town. Is it possible to take the Coaster from SD and take in some sights along the way? What communities could we stop and walk to town/beach? Solana Beach/Encinitas? If not, what should we do?

Sunday - I really enjoyed the Old Town Trolley Tour so thought we would do that, spending time in Old Town and Balboa Park.

Monday – Need some good breakfast spots near our hotel; then it’s back to San Francisco ;-(

Thank you for your help!

adnil1962 Jan 17th, 2008 03:26 PM

We stopped to take a tour of the USS Midway. The tour was pretty good. It was mostly an audio tour but we met a few guys who had worked on the boat. It’s pretty interesting how they landed on the carrier runway. You could go in a simulator too - looked cool (we were time limited so we did not go).

Chive for dinner. The bartender was a really nice guy. We shared several appetizers, all really good – tuna, sashimi, beets/goat cheese, crab mac & cheese, sesame beef salad, endive/cran/walnut salad and little packets of beef/fish. The food was great! We were there during happy hour so drinks were cheap as were the snacks.

We headed to Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy. John got chocolate ice cream. I got a yummy vanilla cake with raspberries and white chocolate ice cream. It was really good. This place and Chive were both hip, cute places.

We headed into town to Hash House A-Go-Go near the gaslamp district which is a restaurant owned by a Cambridge Culinary graduate (Andy). The place was packed. It was a cute place with lots of unique menu choices. The dishes were huge – enough food for 4 meals. Each was served with a homemade biscuit. I got eggs with sundried tomatoes & goat cheese with smashed potatoes. John got a mushroom artichoke hash. The OJ was fresh squeezed and yummy. I also got a yummy Pumpkin Latte with whipped cream.

TahitiTams Jan 17th, 2008 03:46 PM

Hi carib..
I am a drummer too!
Croce's will be perfect for listening to jazz and lots of other groups..House of Blues is in the Gaslamp and that has great venues too..Hard Rock Hotel just open and that is supposed to be fab as well..

adnil gave you excellent advice on where to go..

Just hanging around and enjoying SD via the trolley and see if you can get up to the Cabrillo National Monument Park..
Have a fish taco at the Brigantine in Coronado for the best seafood happy hour all week..
Take the water taxi or ferry over from Seaport Village..
I live here and we stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp for the opening of the Padres game and what a great hotel!
Lots going on and Old Town isn't what it used to be but go and see the Whaley House which is funded by CA as a haunted house..eat carnitas at Old Town Mexican Cafe..
Big fan of Little Italy which is little north of downtown that you can walk up on India street..
Fish Market on the wharf at the oyster bar for some of the best mussels and chowder..

Have fun!

hob.com
gaslamp.org
sdhe.com
littleitalysd.com
brigantine.com

TahitiTams Jan 17th, 2008 04:16 PM

I forgot to add to go Whale Watching..
added the website on the previous link.

caribcarol Jan 17th, 2008 04:18 PM

Thank you, adnil and tahiti.

Hash House A Go-Go sounds yummy.

How do we get to Cabrillo? Glad to hear we can walk to Little Italy. Should we take the ferry to Coronado, or just stop there on our trolley tour?

Any hiking recommendations nearby?

What about taking the Coaster?

Thank you!

TahitiTams Jan 17th, 2008 04:45 PM

Balboa Park is another option to walk among the most beautiful musuems..
Have lunch at the Prado..
Torrey Pines State Park is stunning along the ocean and next to Torrey Pines Golf Course..
Probably cab it to the Cabrillo and take the water taxi/ferry over on the link I provided..

torreypine.org

Cole2006 Jan 17th, 2008 05:47 PM

Taking a cab from Gaslamp to Cabrillo National Monument will cost you an arm and leg.

Hiking recomendations? It will be a hike from Gaslamp to Little Italy. Doable, but a good hike.

caribcarol Jan 18th, 2008 08:30 AM

Thank you all for your replies; much appreciated.

TahitiTams, where can we catch your drumming ;-)

Hubby LOVES BBQ....any suggestions?

Also, what about the Coaster? Or should we just hang out in SD proper?

TahitiTams Jan 18th, 2008 09:16 AM

First of all, a cab ride won't cost you an arm and a leg to Pt Loma from Downtown SD..it won't be cheap..you can leave it off your list.
I have been drumming for years and don't tour but I should..I have my kit set up in my great room.
House of Blues would be a great venue along with Croce's..Ingrid is usually at the door and please let her know your husband is a jazz drummer..she takes care of us musicans!
BBQ..KC or Phil's..
I would hang in SD and take the water taxi/ferry and enjoy Coronado..it is a darling town!

sunbum1944 Jan 18th, 2008 09:49 AM

i used to use Coaster to get around some when daughter lived in Carlsbad.
I think its a great way to get around-
If you stop in Encinitas - you can walk to Moonlight Beach- its just a few blocks

El_Swainer Jan 18th, 2008 09:54 AM

You seem excited about taking the Coaster. Well, go for it!

I enjoy taking public transportation when in San Diego.

To get to cabrillo monument hop on the trolley and get off in Old Town. Then transfer to the MTS bus 28C. It will be a fun ride (for me it is fun to do this. To each his own.) It will take about an hour and a half to get there this method.

A taxi to cabrillo monument from downtown will be about 30 bucks each way, before adding the tip.

The cabrillo monument has some hiking trails. Watch out for the rattlers!

caribcarol Jan 18th, 2008 10:03 AM

Many thanks to all your replies. Looking forward to our SD visit!

caribcarol Jan 18th, 2008 11:04 AM

Couple more ????

1. Restaurant suggestions in Little Italy. Nothing fancy, just a good 'ol plate of spaghetti and meatballs, thin crust pizza.

2. Restaurant suggestions w/i walking distance of the Gaslamp Marriott; again, nothing fancy. We enjoy Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean....pretty much all ethnic foods.

Thanks!