Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Scuba Lessons (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/scuba-lessons-360004/)

Nancy03 Sep 20th, 2003 11:37 AM

Scuba Lessons

We would like to do a little scuba diving on our trip to Hawaii next year. Once during the Sunset Trilogy Trip to Lanai adn again on the Big Island - for a Manta Ray Dive. Should we take lessons before we come or are the lessons while on the boat enough?

keysmom Sep 20th, 2003 02:03 PM

Do you mean snorkelling? If so, the lessons on the boat are fine. If you mean scuba, then you would have to either be certified before you go to Hawaii or take "resort courses" there. The resort courses usually require a morning class and pool session with an afternoon dive. You'll dive with an instructor. If you move locations, you'll have to go through the course again. If someone is offering you scuba lessons on a boat, run the other way.

Marilyn Sep 20th, 2003 10:23 PM

Also, let me suggest that if you are serious about scuba diving, you should get certified before your trip. Otherwise you will committed to making that the focus of your vacation. Do you really want to sit in class every morning on your vacation?

Nancy03 Sep 21st, 2003 04:45 AM

Okay, you all have convinced me. I live on the gulf-coast of Florida - you'd think I would already know how to scuba!! We leave for Hawaii in 11 months so I'll get right on it!!

Mellyz Sep 21st, 2003 10:39 AM

You MUST be a certified diver to do the night Mnata Ray dive.

Ryan Sep 21st, 2003 10:58 AM

Diving can be a great deal of fun and real kick on vacation. If you are serious about taking lessons, definately make sure you do so with a reputable shop. Preferably one that has been around for a bit.

I suggest you think about your willingness and interest in diving at home before you go to Hawaii. If you think you'll go a few times, then start lessons as soon as practical. Comfort in the water and with the gear definately increases the safety factor. However, if you think it unlikely you'll dive before Hawaii, then wait to take the lessons until a few months before you go. This way, the familiarity with the gear will be fresh in your mind.

Most of the time diving can be pretty safe. However, I've had a few experiences , like getting caught in fishing line and having my regulator fail at 90 feet, that you need to be calm about. You definately want to be prepared and being comfortable in the water helps.

BTW, don't let the shop talk you into buying a ton of really expensive gear at the outset. Make sure you enjoy diving before making a big investment in a wetsuit, regulator, fins, mask, etc., etc.

logandog Sep 21st, 2003 02:14 PM

Becoming a certified diver is a significant task. You have to invest alot of time and effort including check-out dives.
You might consider a "resort course" with a few hours in the pool followed by closly supervised openwater dives.
Many people who try this at their vacation resorts end up becoming fully certified when they get home.