Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Scottsdale/ Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/scottsdale-restaurants-191057/)

Dena Apr 3rd, 2002 10:06 AM

Scottsdale/ Restaurants

How about a few recommendations for good places to eat..not too $$$ in Scottsdale.Would like some also w/ a great western atmosphere for these 2 Pittsburghers!

scotty Apr 3rd, 2002 11:22 AM

Given what you've said, maybe Old Scottsdale is your best bet for finding the right restaurant(s). One recommendation: Bandera's for their roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. Informal and not expensive.

del Apr 3rd, 2002 12:00 PM

I would also suggest either Roaring Fork or Cowboy Caio (pronounced chow, don't know if spelling is correct), both in Scottsdale.

Ann Apr 3rd, 2002 12:27 PM

I second Bandera's - very yummy. If you like Thai food, another great place in old Scottsdale is Malee's on Main - awesome food, very reasonably priced (no western decor though!). I haven't tried Cowboy Ciao but I have heard that it's excellent.

Dina Apr 3rd, 2002 12:47 PM

In Old Scottsdale, Italian Grotto. Haven't been in a few years, so assume it's still there! GREAT food and service. Reasonable for the quality.

Laura Apr 3rd, 2002 02:56 PM

Do recognize that Bandera is a chain, owned by Houston's originally.<BR>Not that the food is any less enjoyable being part of a chain. But they're in Chicago and elsewhere, so if you want something 'local' and unique, Bandera ain't it.

Karen Apr 3rd, 2002 03:15 PM

El Chorro on Lincoln Drive, Carlsbad Tavern on Hayden Rd/Osborn Rd., Rawhide on north Scottsdale are a few winners...also agree on Bandera.

steve Apr 4th, 2002 04:00 AM

For cowboy atmosphere - Pinnacle Peak Patio. For Mexican, Los Olivos

perry Apr 4th, 2002 05:55 AM

Well, I guess I'll defend Bandera's. The food is good, the prices are reasonable, and the one in Old Scottsdale has a sorta southwest motif. So, if you're from Pittsburgh, what's not to like?

Ann Apr 4th, 2002 02:35 PM

I live in Phoenix and did not know that Bandera's is part of a chain. Interesting. I had dinner at Los Olivos last night for the first time and was going to recommend it here but I see someone already beat me to it! Excellent Mexican food, and great margaritas. And El Chorro is great - we're having our rehearsal dinner there in two weeks!

l Apr 14th, 2002 01:27 PM

I got blasted on another question about a restaurant in Scottsdale so I won't give any comments, other than to tell you that there are some recommendations recently posted for someone's 40th birthday. I'm looking for Houston and this came up because of some restaurant that's owned by Houston's came up in the search.

Houston Apr 14th, 2002 04:39 PM

Just an aside:<BR>Houston's operates 45 restaurants nationwide, including 6 Banderas in AZ, CA and IL.

l Apr 14th, 2002 04:53 PM

WE have a Houston's in Miami. Pretty nice. When I searched for Houston it brought up every post with the word in it.

Jessie Apr 20th, 2002 04:53 PM

Just got back from Scottsdale and found most restaurants to be very quiet....I guess tourist season is over. But Banderos and Houston's were both busy and had excellent food for a chain with more choices at Houston's, and nice atmosphere. Seemed like a local spot for us.

Greg Apr 20th, 2002 07:55 PM

"seemed like excellent food for a chain".....<BR><BR>Just because a restaurant is part of a chain doesn't mean the food can't be good.<BR>Look at Ruth's Chris (may she rest in peace, Ruth died this week). One of the top restaurants in most every city the chain has entered.

kim Apr 23rd, 2002 03:39 PM

La Hacienda is the best. Pricey but worth it.

No Name Apr 24th, 2002 07:53 AM

Perry,<BR><BR>ALL Banderas have southwestern motifs!

Al Apr 24th, 2002 08:21 AM

If you want a real hokey Cowboy/western experience, go to Rawhide. It is on the northern fringe of Phoenix. It looks like an old western cowboy town with people dressed up as townfolk. There is a steak restaurant there. The food is ok & not too expensive. A western band plays on stage while you eat. Just remember, you're going there for the atmosphere & experience, not the food. <BR><BR>For a nice restaurant, La Hacienda is very nice if it the restaurant I'm thinking of at the Scotttdale Princess resort. It's been several years since I was in Phoenix.

Jack May 5th, 2002 07:49 AM

For real Arizona atmosphere try Greasewood Flat just beyond Pinnacle Peak Patio.