Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Scottsdale Princess or Westin Kierland in Scottsdale? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/scottsdale-princess-or-westin-kierland-in-scottsdale-542759/)

mikesmom Jul 9th, 2005 04:59 AM

Scottsdale Princess or Westin Kierland in Scottsdale?

My husband and I are going to Scottsdale over Labor Day Weekend. I know it will be incredibly hot, but we've got some SW Airlines travel vouchers that are going to expire, so Scottsdale it is.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between the Westin Kierland (I like the location near Kierland Commons) and the Scottsdale Princess. Prices are comparable. I've been to Scottsdale before but I was staying in a condo with friends. I've checked tripadvisor, both get good reviews and I've searched this forum. Again, I don't think I can make a mistake.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at both of these hotels and, if so, can give me their thoughts. I know the room will be bigger at the Scottsdale Princess (which I like), but I keep reading how huge it is and how much walking we'll do. I'm a little worried about that because of the heat.

Thanks!

suzanne97 Jul 17th, 2005 03:12 PM

As I am a local I have not stayed at these hotels. I think Kierland may be closer to shopping and other activities so you may want to look into it when making your decision. (I could be completely wrong but that is my impression)

julia_elzie Jul 17th, 2005 03:35 PM

Hi,

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort.

The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is about 30-45 minutes out of Scottsdale and maybe an hour out of Phoenix. It is definitely a destination resort; you don't really need to leave for your entire trip. It is big, but all of the main public areas are pretty close together in the central area. The spa is away from the main complex, but otherwise, the restaurants, pools, main lobby are easy walking distance and you can get into the shade or an air-conditioned building easily. Lots of fountains, trees, flowers and it is very lovely.

However, don't miss the opportunity to go into Scottsdale. They have a lovely street with the most wonderful art galleries. The botanical garden is spectacular with all types of desert flora and fauna.

If you'd like to be closer, try the Phoenician or the Royal Palms. They are on Camelback Road between Scottsdale and Phoenix (closer to Scottsdale) and are also very lovely.

Best Regards,
Julia

danabfly Jul 17th, 2005 04:36 PM

I just returned from a trip to Scottsdale and we stayed at the Westin Kierland. We LOVED the resort. I am not familiar with the Princess, but would highly recommend the Westin Kierland. The location is perfect - close to shopping and restaurants, and the lazy river is alot of fun (it's not just for kids!).

Also, over 4th of July weekend the resort had tons of free activities all weekend. I had no idea they would be offering bands every night, movies at the pool, smores, tequila tasting, rum tasting, and other events all for free during our holiday weekend stay. I know they do the same over memorial day weekend, so I'm assuming labor weekend would also have the same type of activities.

Have fun!

richardsonsnm Aug 20th, 2005 09:54 AM

I live in phx. the westin is where you want to be if you have no car, you can walk to a number of good restaurants. if you want seafood, go to ocean club, sushi, go to RA, for drinks and lunch, I'd recommend Zinc Bistro, look up my friend Terry the owner, a great place to people watch. if you have a car, go south into "old town" and check out scottsdale before it exploded, or head north into cave creek, go past the Boulders resort which is beautiful and have lunch in cave creek. the priness is very nice, but you are isolated a bit. forget the heat, run for the AC like everyone else, and if you stay out of the car, you really won't be bothered, dress casual.