Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Scottsdale/Phoenix resorts: Westin, JW Marriott, Sheraton, or Hyatt??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I might be headed to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area this summer for a quick getaway. If this happens, I would be looking for the nicest, most relaxing resort with well-appointed rooms and a fantastic pool. Yes, I know it will be HOT in the summer, but the plane fare and resort rates are so cheap, it's hard to pass up!

We are thinking about the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, the Hyatt at Gainey Ranch, Westin Kierland, or Sheraton Wild Horse. All have rates from $99-$140/night. I would love to hear about any experiences or comparisons for these resorts. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:50 PM
BAK

When I was in Arizona a few years ago to take some photographs, one of my contacts knew I only had a day in Phoenix and she wanted me to have the best possible lunch, in a fairly limited time. She was an executive inthe food business, so knew what she was doing, and took us to the Hyatt, which I found very impressive.

Hard to imagine anywhere nicer, but I was not at the other places you mentioned.
BAK
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
emd

My family did not find the Westin K. special at all. But I just stayed at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass for a week in October '04. It was very special. It is on Indian reservation land, and many of the employees are American Indian. The resort really grew on me the week I was there. It is in south Phoenix and looks onto the mountains (beyond the nice gold course). There is a full service equestrian center. And the Aji spa is wonderful, somewhat new age but very unpretentious. Food is EXCELLENT at Koi- much of the produce served there is grown on irrigated Indian land, and the other more casual restaurant is very good too. The large pool (which has several different areas to it) has a nice slide if you have kids. There is a nice boutique gift shop (selling clothes and jewelry, much like the Phoenician) and a regular but upsclae gift shop, and while i wa there they were putting in a Starbock's counter also. The closest grocery store is in Chandler, so stop to stock up on whater you need on the way to the resort, because you won't want to leave. The rooms all have very private balconies, no one can see you on your balcony and they have a table, two chairs and a small loveseat on the balcony. Lots of walking paths, and if it cools off enough in early a.m. or evening, South Mountain hiking paths are 7 min. drive (I liked those paths). Rooms are soutwest/Indian, very confortable, marble baths w/separate glass shower stall and tub. I loved this place, even more than the Phoenician. Forget the Westin as far as I am concerned. haven't stayed at Marriott or Hyatt. Have you chekced www/tripadvisor.com? There are reviews of all of them there also. And flyertalk. com's Starwood page has alot on the Westin K and Wild Horse also.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM
emd

That's "golf course"
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:24 PM

We stayed at the Westin Kierland earlier this year and enjoyed it a great deal. The service was super, and I thought the food was very good. It has a nice location next to the Kierland Commons shopping area, and relatively convenient to most other places as well. My room was excellent--great view, spacious, and beautiful bathroom with a separate tub and glass shower.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the great replies!

Emd -- did you happen to visit the equestrian center at the Sheraton?

Can anyone else comment on these 4 resorts? We are looking for a great pool, restaurants and shopping nearby (off resort), and maybe an activity or two for the couple of days we'll be there. (ie horseback riding) Thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 02:26 PM

We stayed at the JW last April for an awards trip. I was very impressed. It is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are gorgeous. New age music piped through the grounds. Very peaceful, lazy kind of atmostphere. We LOVED our room. We LOVED the lobby. Huge, with big cushy chairs and couches. We liked it so much we would hang out there in the afternoon with a cocktail and read. The pool is very nice. The spa is awesome.

The only thing we were not wild about was the food. It was very southwest. Some of it rather spicey. Just wasn't what I was in the mood for. There is a Roys on the property and we ate there one night, and that was very good.

The resort is across the street from a huge outlet mall restaurant kind of complex. Tons of stores (I didn't go to any) and lots of eating places.

The JW is only about a mile or two from the Kierland Commons which is one of my favorite outdoor malls. Great shopping and restaurants.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:39 AM

The JW is great - probably the newest property of your choices. If you will have a rental car it would be OK - but it's really not close to places like Scottsdale - Old Town. Not a problem if you're OK with driving. Did you check out the Boulders - probably another 20 minutes past the JW...? Also, closer to the center of Scottsdale would be Camelback Inn - one of my old favorites.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:08 AM
emd

I went over to the equestrian center at Wild Horse Pass and talked to the people there, since I was already thinking of bringing my family back there and my daughter and I ride. The horses were in good shape and the facility is nice, so are the people.
You did not mention shopping in your original post. Wild Horse Pass is not near shopping. As I said, Chandler (5 min. drive) is the closest suburban area but no real tourist shopping there. I liked the two shops in the hotel and bought clothes (one is all clothing and accessories) and other items as Christmas presents in both. But no shopping there like in Scottsdale.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I'm staying at Sanctuary on Camelback this year. The rate for early June on Expedia is $229 which is significantly cheaper than the hotels own website. It is very small and intimate compared to the large hotels you are considering. It overlooks Camelback Mtn, has a beautiful infinity pool, a spa, and a great Asian inspired restaurant, Elements. Check out their website or go to Expedia to see pics.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Oh yeah, the rooms at Sanctuary are actually individual casitas on the hillside. They range in size from 500 sq ft to 1200 sq ft and you can take a virtual tour of the rooms online.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies!

Emd -- if we go, we will have a car, and I knew the Sheraton was a little more out of the way, so I am ok with driving to some shopping/restaurants. Do you know if the equestrian center can be used by non-guests, or is it just for people staying there?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Stayed at the Westin Kierland last year and loved it. My husband can't wait to go back. Very luxurious, and right next door to Kierland Commons for shopping and eating--lots of great restaurants and upscale stores. We didn't use the golf course or the spa.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

We've stayed at the Marriott Camelback (recommend casitas near spa) and the Hyatt Gainey Ranch. Both were very nice. The atmosphere at Gainey Ranch is a bit more spectacular. Enjoyed the spa. You wouldn't make a mistake at either resort.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
gc

We stayed at Gainey Ranch 3 years ago and thought it was great. Multiple pools, including adults only, great lobby, good restaurants. Rooms were lovely and a great lobby area.

Stay on the concierge level if possible. The breakfast and appetizer setups are elegant.

Close to upscale shopping, golf, and they have a gondola with a lagoon....kinda cute.

We'd go again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I just spent 5 nights at the Westin Kierland last November and found it nice,but not spectacular.It has two pools one of them is a simple rectangular lap pool,while the other one is a faux river that you slowly cruise around in.Its primary appeal is to children.I don't golf so can't comment on that aspect.In my opinion the best part about this resort was the rooms and beds.There is one aspect of this resort that bothered me the most. Its to close to the Scottsdale Airport, and there was an almost constant buzz of airplanes and helicopters circling around.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Spent 5 nights at Sheraton Wild Horse pass in April with my family and we loved it. Horseback riding was great but sign up for early am rides as it is too hot to ride later in the day. Took guided trail tours with my daughter. Spa is beautiful, my masseuse was not great but my sister in law loved hers. Food was top quality, and pool area very pleasant, large but not so big that you lose your kids. We were so pleasantly surprised by the resort. Took in a Diamondbacks game one night, which was a lot of fun - great stadium 15 mins away. May I mention that JW was my first choice, but was booked up. Once we got to Wild Pass, I never thought about JW again!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:56 AM

Ive been to Scottsdale numerous times..and have to say each time I end up at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch. The grounds are so pretty and relaxing. The pool area is beautiful with waterfalls everywhere. On the weekends they have live music on the property under the stars. With a cocktail in hand and soothing music...it doesnt get any better.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:42 PM

Beachgirl86,

You can't go wrong with either the Hyatt or the JW Marriott. We have been to both and love each of them. The Marriott is very close to Desert Ridge, an outdoor mall (the misters go all summer), there are several restaurants there, the Keg is a great steak restaurant, Salute is a really good Italian restaurant.
The Hyatt is incredible, the gondola ride is a must do. They have a pool with a sand beach.
Just remember to drink lots of water!!