Search

Schooner's Cove - Cannon Beach, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:06 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schooner's Cove - Cannon Beach, Oregon

Has anyone stayed at the Schooner's Cove in Cannon Beach, Oregon? I'm thing about staying here for a couple of nights in June. The rate is quite good for an ocean front room and the location seems to be ideal. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I should first say we've never stayed there, but have seen the place practically every time we're in Cannon Beach. The location certainly is ideal: steps from the beach on one side, steps from the center of town on the other. The building(s) is attractive enough. The negative may be that it's been around long enough that things are looking/feeling a little tired.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I just recommended this place to another traveler who wanted to stay near both downtown CB and the beach.

It has received a #2 in the popularity index on Traveladvisor, you may want to go there and read the recent reviews on the property. Enjoy Cannon Beach!

We were just there a couple of weeks, ago, beautiful place. I peeked in the Stephanie Inn, it is very nice. They are now offering rooms for $189/night and the second night is half price if you're interested in that property.

Prices aren't quoted on their website, but I have the recent brochure so I could answer specific questions for you. Happy travels! ***kim***
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:06 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks to both for the information. I did check the Stephanie Inn first, but the lowest rate they were offering was $289 per night which I thought was steep. At Schooner's Cove, I was able to book the Skipper (ocean front room for two)at a rate of $77 per night. The positive comments on Tripadvisor, beach location and proximity to entertainment should make this an ideal place to stay. I'll post some comments when I return.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:43 AM

That's a great price for a CB hotel in June! If you get a chance, try Cafe Mango for their yummy halibut. Sit outside on their small patio that overlooks downtown CB, very pretty views from the deck as the restaurant is upstairs.

Also, Mo's for their blackened salmon and clam chowder if you like seafood. Beautiful views of Haystack Rock from Mo's dining room. ***kim***
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:53 AM

You might try the Ocean Lodge. It's brand new, right next to Stephanie Inn, and looks every bit as nice. The downside might be that it's a little of a hike to downtown; for some of us, that's a plus.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 01:40 PM
lovingheart

*kim* Did you eat dinner at Stephanie Inn? How did you like the breakfast?

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 07:57 AM

miz, Cafe Mango now has a website for you to view menus. www.cafe-mango.com Enjoy Cannon Beach! ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I guess kimamom missed your question, lovingheart. Though not recently, I've stayed at Stephanie a couple times. I remember thinking the dinners were easily the best I'd had on the Oregon coast, maybe even a little over the top compared to the typical comfort/casual coastal restaurant experience. It felt more like what you'd expect in a fine dining Portland restaurant.

Breakfasts are a buffet, with fairly limited choices, but everything is fresh and well prepared.

IMO, Stephanie Inn is the nicest accommodation of it's kind on the Oregon coast. If you're looking for a more traditional B & B, there are a few of those (nice ones) nearby as well.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:26 AM

We have a beach cottage in Seaside so I haven't stayed at the Stephanie Inn. I toured the property a couple of weeks ago tho and loved it!

We were all set up to have dinner there one night but they were serving something we had the previous night at Chateaulin in Ashland so we passed.

I'm waiting for them to offer a salmon or seafood entree then we'll book reservations.

miz, I have a brochure right in from of me which has an ocean view wicker room on the 3rd floor with a queen bed and whirlpool tub, gas fireplace, wet bar going for $189/night. Were those rooms all booked?

I also see the Mountain View Rooms going from $189-$209 on my brochure. Lots of options, they aren't on the website so let me know your price range and what you want if you decide to stay there, these aren't winter rates either.

There are around nine options of rooms and also special occasion packages that you can add on. I'm checking out the place for extended family that might be staying there this summer, as our cottage only sleeps six and there will be around 13 in our summer group. ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM

One more suggestion for meals, The Nehalem River Inn is getting very good reviews on Chowhound. They are remodeling this winter and the place will be in full swing this summer.

www.nehalemriverinn.com to view menus, we'll be trying the place this Spring when we visit the area. ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Be advised though, that the Nehalem River Inn is around 20 miles from Cannon Beach. And with all the other nice options much closer, I'm not sure why you'd want to make the trek.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:47 AM

It's a lovely trek Beachbum, especially in June when the weather will be nice. I actually called the Inn to see how far they were from Seaside and they said around 20 minutes. Probably 10-15 from CB.

A stop in Manzanita would be lovely. It's a quaint little town worth exploring. miz, I also have suggestions for places to dine there and places to stay away from if you're interested! ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:57 AM

As my kids would say, my bad! It's actually only 18.5 miles from Cannon Beach to the Nehalem River Inn, and according to Yahoo Maps, about 32 minutes drive time.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Beachbum, you stated there are "many nice options close by" to dine, what are your suggestions? I find the dining scene in CB to rather limited for REALLY good food.

How's Clark's or JP's? I know there's a good pizza place there that my kids love. Have you tried the Gower St. Bistro? I find Doogers to be rather mediocre considering the great places in Astoria for really fantastic seafood. (I think they now have a location in Warrenton, but we haven't been there.) Enlighten us, Beachbum! ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM
je

We were in CB this summer and had dinner at The Bistro. I thought it was excellent. Has anyone else tried it?
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM

What kind of cuisine is the Bistro? I think it's on my list of places to try after the Stephanie Inn and the Wayfarer! Is seafood offered there?

BTW miz, have you been to CB before? ***kim***
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Kim,

Who asked for recommendations for "REALLY good food"? mjz wants to know about Schooner's Cove, and lovingheart asked about Stephanie Inn. I'm simply responding to their questions. Are you?
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Kim - Thanks for the all tips. This will be my first trip to Cannon Beach. I think Schooner's Cove will work nicely for us. The Stephanie as well as the Ocean Lodge look very nice, but we won't be in the room that much. Besides, we plan on really splurging when we hit Grand Cayman later in the Summer and Tuscany in the Fall. This is just a little relaxer trip split between Cannon Beach and Portland.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 12:28 PM

You're very welcome! Here is a cool website for CB, www.cannon-beach.net if you haven't already seen it.

You also might want to check out Seaside & Astoria while you're in the area. Seaside has a really nice prom for walking/bike riding with gorgeous views of Tillamook Head. Grab a bite at Kalypso, great pan-fried oysters there.

Astoria is full of charm and history, about a 30 minutes drive from CB. There's a gorgeous museum, The Maritime that is very interesting and the town itself is one of my favorite places on the Oregon Coast. www.oldoregon.com Have fun! ***kim***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -