Search

Atlanta...what area hotel...need car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta...what area hotel...need car?

Hi,
We will visit Atlanta for the first time next month for 2 days, 3 nights and am wondering where best to book a hotel and whether or not a car is better than MARTA.
We will visit High Museum, Aquarium, CNN, maybe the zoo, maybe MLK sites, maybe Atlanta History Center.
At night we search out places with live jazz..Any suggestions for bars or restaurants with jazz? I've heard of Dante's so far.
Walking a bit is no problem. I don't mind some inconvenience to walk if the cost of MARTA passes ( MARTA 2 day pass is $14 X 3 people) is significantly cheaper than renting a car (plus parking?? I was searching hotels on Kayak.com and out of about 150 hotels only saw one with free parking).Plus I would need to consider taxi fares for any locations not served by MARTA.
And what area would be best for a hotel location? From what I've read so far I'm guessing Midtown for nightlife and MARTA access.
Thanks for your help!!
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM

The High, Aquarium, CNN are easily doable my MARTA. The zoo seems way out and there is a bus which goes from the Aquarium to the zoo, but I don't know the number or schedule. Maybe someone else can chime in about MLK and the Atlanta History Center. I'm thinking you will take a bus or a taxi to the Historical Center. It is close to midtown but not I can't think of a MARTA stop close enough by.

Look into getting a CityPass which combines admission to five of want-to-sees.

Midtown and Buckhead/Lenox are both good areas for your stay. If you do get a rental car, Travel Zoo has been doing specials with the Buckhead Double Tree for $69 a weekend night for room, wifi and free parking. They have a shuttle which will take you anywere in a three mile radius.

You can easily make a weekend in ATL without a car. It is easy to get from the airport into the city via MARTA. Longer than a weekend you would probably want a car. It is a car centered city.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Palm...Travelzoo doesn't have that deal anymore but they do have others.
Can you tell me other than at the hotel is parking a problem...near the sites we will go to I mean. And do you generally have to pay to park in these areas.
Thank you!
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM

The High Museum is pricey about $12. The zoo is free. I don't know about the others but I imagine CNN/aquarium would be pricey as well.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Agreed that Midtown is a good area to stay in.

MARTA is indeed useful for exploring many of Atlanta's sights. The aforementioned High Museum, CNN, and Aquarium are all within reasonable walking distance from stops, as are such things as the state capitol, World of Coca Cola, Margaret Mitchell House, Fox Theatre, and William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.

It's several blocks walk from a MARTA stop to the MLK Complex, but certainly do-able. Oakland Cemetery is close by here as well. One can take a bus from this stop to the zoo and Cyclorama (both in Grant Park, also pleasant in and of itself), or if you're a fairly hearty walker, you can walk there, though it's in the opposite direction from the MLK Complex.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Decision made:No car,rely on MARTA...stay Midtown.
Thanks for the help!