Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Scenic drives from Saratoga Springs (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/scenic-drives-from-saratoga-springs-1702393/)

Pam09 Oct 7th, 2021 03:49 PM

Scenic drives from Saratoga Springs

Any suggestions for scenic drives from Saratoga Springs to see fall foliage?

J62 Oct 7th, 2021 05:33 PM

how far do you want to drive?
Close to town..

1. Lake George area - 30min to the north. A drive up Prospect Mtn will give you a great panoramic view of the lake and surrounding hills. You can park near the top then walk or maybe shuttle bus the the summit.

2. About 12 miles east of town is the Saratoga Battlefield. It has a 10mi loop with several overlooks over the Hudson Valley and the hills of Washington County. Not necessarily the best foliage, but close to town. Saratoga Apples (~on the way back to town) has fresh apple cider, apples, and cider donuts. Best when they're hot out of the oil. Donuts make the trip worthwhile.

3. Lake Moreau State park, about 15min north of SS. Rt 9 north, or I87 to exit 18. Best views are up the hike up the hill, but the area around the lake should have good color, just nothing panoramic until you go up on foot.

4. Just to the south side of Moreau is Grant's Cottage. Up on a hill. I dont know if there are foliage views from up there but it's worth a try and close by. I believe you can drive up there.

Further away...
5. If you want to go further, then head up towards / beyond Warrensburg (one exit past LG village), towards North Creek. It's 1/2 hr to Warrensburg, another 20min or so to the town of North Creek. There may be some side roads that offer better views but I only know Rt28 / headed to Gore Mtn.

6. If you want to go even further, head up towards Lake Placid/Keene Valley. Color should be peak up there right now.

Let me know if you need other Saratoga tips...

Pam09 Oct 8th, 2021 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17293824)
how far do you want to drive?
Close to town..

1. Lake George area - 30min to the north. A drive up Prospect Mtn will give you a great panoramic view of the lake and surrounding hills. You can park near the top then walk or maybe shuttle bus the the summit.

2. About 12 miles east of town is the Saratoga Battlefield. It has a 10mi loop with several overlooks over the Hudson Valley and the hills of Washington County. Not necessarily the best foliage, but close to town. Saratoga Apples (~on the way back to town) has fresh apple cider, apples, and cider donuts. Best when they're hot out of the oil. Donuts make the trip worthwhile.

3. Lake Moreau State park, about 15min north of SS. Rt 9 north, or I87 to exit 18. Best views are up the hike up the hill, but the area around the lake should have good color, just nothing panoramic until you go up on foot.

4. Just to the south side of Moreau is Grant's Cottage. Up on a hill. I dont know if there are foliage views from up there but it's worth a try and close by. I believe you can drive up there.

Further away...
5. If you want to go further, then head up towards / beyond Warrensburg (one exit past LG village), towards North Creek. It's 1/2 hr to Warrensburg, another 20min or so to the town of North Creek. There may be some side roads that offer better views but I only know Rt28 / headed to Gore Mtn.

6. If you want to go even further, head up towards Lake Placid/Keene Valley. Color should be peak up there right now.

Let me know if you need other Saratoga tips...

1. Thank you so very much for these great tips!

J62 Oct 8th, 2021 03:45 AM

timing also matters... the immediate area around Saratoga Springs is mostly green right now which seems later than prior years. Even the early sugar maples are mostly green.... LG or further north will have more color if you are looking this weekend.

Next week the colors will creep further south.
https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...port-peak.html

Fodorite018 Oct 9th, 2021 04:53 AM

When we lived in Saratoga, we used to go over to Manchester , VT and it is a beautiful drive. That was where we took our visitors during foliage time.