Scenic drive from Tampa to Fort Myers.

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic drive from Tampa to Fort Myers.

My boyfriend's parents recently bought a townhouse in Fort Myers. We plan to visit them at the end of March. For some reason, tickets to RSW were too expensive (over $300) so we decided to fly into Tampa and drive into Fort Myers. Does anyone have recommendations for scenic routes to Fort Myers from Tampa?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM
jon

One of my favorite drives is from St. Petersburg to the Bradenton/Sarasota area. From Tampa, just get on I-275 south. The scenery gets really pretty when you're going over the Skyway Bridge. The water is a beautiful color. After that, you'll probably want to pick up I-75 south to take it down to Ft. Myers. I think that's the route to get there.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I agree. Do go from the Tampa airport via St. Petersburg and over the
Skyway bridge to get to the Bradenton and Sarasota area where you may want to poke around a bit. But after that I'd head right out to I-75 and south to Ft. Myers on the interstate, unless you find rows and rows of strip shopping centers, lots of traffic, and thousands of traffic lights scenic.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:52 PM

you may hit alot of traffic that way...esp if its rush hour...don`t think I`d take the time...spend it sightseeing aound that area or come back a day early and sightsee the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater are then//
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I am not sure what I plan to do but at least I have options.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:36 AM

If you look on the map, Route 41 may look tempting. There are some stretches where it's nice, old Florida like, but as Patrick pointed out in an earlier post most of it is strip malls, MickeyDs, roadside motels and such. I agree with everybody else, once you cross the Sunshine Bridge, the scenic part is over. Best to stick to I-75.
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:51 AM
G_H

I also agree with the route that will take you across Tampa Bay and into St. Petersburg via 275, then across the Sunshine Skyway bridge. If you have some extra time, try heading west after the bridge to Anna Maria Island, then south along the beaches to Sarasota. It's a beautiful ride along the Gulf with great sights. You can head east again in Sarasota back to I75.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:21 AM
OliveOyl

We also enjoy the drive GH mentioned and often take that route to Sarasota from Tampa, cutting west in Bradenton to Anna Maria, then south along the barrier islands to Sarasota, returning home via the interstate which is MUCH faster. Though scenic, as it follows right along the water for a good portion, it would add well over an hour to your drive time as the road west through Bradenton is slow going, as is the road south through the islands. We cut back to the interstate on Fruitville Rd, also loaded with lights and very slow going.

Very definitely though, the best way to head south from TIA is to take I-275 toward St Pete, then across the Sunshine Skyway. The stretch on the Howard Frankland Bridge across Tampa Bay is pretty, as is the Skyway but unfortunately there isn't much to look at in between. Still, it's the quickest route to 75 from the airport.