Scenic 3 day trip AZ

Search

Scenic 3 day trip AZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic 3 day trip AZ

Hi going to visit brother the end of Oct. in Sun City, AZ, and wanted to rent car and drive somewhere scenic for 2 nights. Would love to hear and suggestions. Already been to Jerome, and Sedona and mountains close to Phoenix, Southmountain, etc. and Grand Canyon.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't mind a 4 hr or so drive I suggest Bisbee. October is the best month of all, you could stop at Kartchner Caverns and/or Tombstone on the way, then return by way of Patagonia & Sonoita, a completely different landscape, rolling grassy hills, beautiful. I lived there for much of my adult life & went back for a visit last October, still my favorite month.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 02:44 PM

There are also some beautiful canyons, Madera, Ramsey, Cave Creek, in that part of southern AZ depending on how far you want to drive. For something closer to Sun City, Tuscon has some nice scenic areas like Saguaro, Sabino Canyon, etc.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 03:21 PM

As well as Ramsey Canyon & the San Pedro River Valley, if you like birds you can't do any better than Cochise County (where Bisbee is located). Sandhill Cranes winter in nearby Sulphur Springs Valley & there should be early arrivals in October. https://www.explorecochise.com/Viewi...Cochise-County
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
As well as Ramsey Canyon & the San Pedro River Valley, if you like birds you can't do any better than Cochise County (where Bisbee is located). Sandhill Cranes winter in nearby Sulphur Springs Valley & there should be early arrivals in October. https://www.explorecochise.com/Viewi...Cochise-County
thanks for the great ideas.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Antelope canyon

Great ideas above, what do ya all think of the Antelope Canyon area vs previous reccomendations. Also brother suggested Vegas (been 25 yeats), SanDiago, Palm Springs, lake Havusuu and Laughlin area. Dont know what would be best. Love scenery. ?????
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:13 AM

October really isn't the best time for birding in Arizona. If you wanted to see the Sandhill Cranes, the Cibola NWR is also a good place. However I think early October is too early.

Another idea, in addition to Palm Springs, Joshua Tree National Monument is about 3 to 4 hours.. you could stay in 29 Palms or Joshua Tree (town) or on the Coachella Valley/Palm Springs side. If you have allergies, October can be a problem in the CV, since many of the golf courses are mowed at that time. But that could mean good rates at resort hotels.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you been to Monument Valley? or Canyon de Chelly? They are both beautiful sites in Northern AZ.
Temperatures in Southern AZ should be getting cooler by late October for several of the locations suggested in above posts.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
October really isn't the best time for birding in Arizona. If you wanted to see the Sandhill Cranes, the Cibola NWR is also a good place. However I think early October is too early.
"Cranes are regularly found during the winter in the Sulphur Springs Valley of southeastern Arizona. They migrate into the valley as early as September and stay as late as March."
https://www.explorecochise.com/Viewi...Cochise-County

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:51 AM

How far are you willing to drive? A trip to Antelope Canyon possibly combined with Monument Valley and/or Canyon de Chelly would provide you with some beautiful scenery but entail 4-5 hours of driving each day. Antelope Canyon can only be seen by guided tours with the option of upper or lower canyon. Near Antelope Canyon is Horseshoe Bend. With the exception of one hiking trail, tours are also required to go down into Canyon de Chelly. You can drive the rim roads on your own.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 09:32 AM

I agree with Patty, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and Monument Valley are not to be missed. I didn't have a chance to visit Canyon de Chelly... yet! But it'll happen sooner or later.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
"Cranes are regularly found during the winter in the Sulphur Springs Valley of southeastern Arizona. They migrate into the valley as early as September and stay as late as March."
https://www.explorecochise.com/Viewi...Cochise-County

"As early as" doesn't mean ideal. It just means 10 or 100 cranes MIGHT show up. November is really when large numbers become easier to find. So late October might be okay in some years. Some viewing locations don't even open until Nov 1.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 25th, 2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb
"As early as" doesn't mean ideal. . .
I think anyone reading my first mention, #4 above, would understand just that.

In any case, there are plenty of reasons to visit Cochise County that have nothing to do with birds. Did I mention the Amerind Museum and the stunning Chiricauha National Monument?