Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Savannah with family 4/08: 2 teens and 2 80+ (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/savannah-with-family-4-08-2-teens-and-2-80-a-446921/)

venturesome4 Oct 16th, 2008 10:57 PM

Savannah with family 4/08: 2 teens and 2 80+

Hi all, I have received so much good information when I have requested it from this forum and thought I would ask about our upcoming trip to Savannah. My Mom turns 80 and we will be gathering there for 5-6 days right after Easter this Spring.We will have 3 adults in late 40's two adventuresome, easygoing teens, 13 and 17, and my parents. Dad is very fit at 83 and mom is unfortunately unable to walk very well due to bad arthritis but still manages to get around. Do you have any tips for us? I have heard about the Bonaventure cemetery and the ghost tour . Is that still happening ? I was thinking of renting a house close to the beach but the map suggests that the beach is a ways from the center of town. I would welcome any suggestions.
Sincerely,
Evelyn

gail Oct 17th, 2008 02:09 AM

I love Savannah but think it will be difficult to meet your travel needs there.

First, most people spend a little less time in Savannah and perhaps add Charleston or one of the barrier islands. However, it sounds as if your group may be more comfortable staying in one place - that is problem #1. "Beach" closest to Savannah is Tybee Island but I would not recommend it for a 5-6 day stay with your group - not enough to do. Same with other barrier islands - I don't think they meet your needs.

The reason beach is so far is that Savannah is not true coastal city - it is up the Savannah River. You can watch river boats from River Street, but no beach, waves, etc. In order to get to River Street from Historic District one much either take a long walk around several blocks or go up and down old winding metal stairs at several locations - I imagine impossible for Mom. The best solution to this I can think of is 2 days in Savannah and 3 in Charleston and when you go to River Street, you will have to take the car, drop her off, and go back someplace to park- very, very limited parking on River Street.

Second - Savannah is described as a walkable city - it is, for people who are more able to walk than your mother. Some areas of the city have old cobblestone streets - difficult for me (I am a slight mobility issue) and dangerous for elderly. The renowned squares also involve some sidewalks that can be treacherous from burrowing tree roots, etc. And they do involve walking. A solution to this is to take one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours. When you hop off, yourmother may have to sit on a bench while you all go exploring that stop - not an attractive solution, but I am trying to make this work for you.

Third - adventuresome, easygoing teens and Savannah is a little more difficult. You could take a nite time ghost tour, see some funky art at SCAD - but it is not really an adventure city. The Bonaventure Cemetary is really cool - we spent an afternoon wandering around and matching various tombstones with history and inventing our own stories to go along - but it is spread out and not going to be easy for your Mom. Parking is at the beginning and then you walk, although I have seen some cars further into the cemetary.

It sounds like you have already decided on Savannah - and as long as everyone is flexible you could have a nice visit - with limitations as mentioned above.

venturesome4 Oct 18th, 2008 08:29 PM

Thanks for your speedy and thorough reply, Gail. I really appreciate it. The trip plans aren't carved in stone yet. I will have to look into some alternatives. I don't recall if Mom has been to Charleston and will check into that .I have been there myself and loved the city.
Evelyn

brewlew Oct 20th, 2008 09:42 AM

Not sure if I agree with Gail. The ghost tours downtown are a big hit with teens and there are so many nice trolley tours that your mom would be fine going on one of those. The House museums are lovely - Davenport House and Owens Thomas House. As far as Tybee goes, there are great sea kayaking opportunities that the teens would like and some great restaurants: North Beach Grill, The Sundae Shop, the marina on the Back River. Dolphin Tours are lots of fun for all ages and most interesting. For some cute houses to rent at Tybee, look at www.mermaidcottages.com . Strolling the beach is always nice and relaxing. Ft. PUlaski is interesting to tour. Downtown there is a nice Westin Hotel with spa across the river, with a water taxi to River Street. The Hampton Inn Historic District is a really nice one. The Telfair Art Museum in Savannah is a fine one. The Savannah Theatre does great, Broadway-type reviews that all ages would love. And there are so many nice restaurants. Cute shops downtown - clothing and gifts. You could go to Charleston if you like, but it is 2 hours each way. Closer is Beaufort, SC, at 45minutes - a lovely, small, really Southern town.

Giovanna Oct 20th, 2008 11:00 AM

I have a long file on Savannah that I put together when planning our trip there two years ago. If you would like a copy, just e-mail me and I'll be glad to e-mail it to you.

We loved Savannah and I have made some personal comments about likes and dislikes, etc. in the file.

gail Oct 20th, 2008 11:53 AM

Not sure I disagree with brewles - as far as teens and rest of family are concerned - but OP has 80 year old mother who is "unable to walk very well" I have been on one of the house tours you suggest and it involved stairways within the house and quite a long walk from parking area. Strolling the beach and Fort Pulaski also involve a good amount of walking. If not for one member of party with mobility issues this would be a lot easier. (Don't think Grandma wants to go sea kayaking either, but she could certainly watch)

paige12 Oct 20th, 2008 01:36 PM

Hi,
I just got back from a girltrip to Savannah and Hilton Head. We loved it. The one thing I would recommend is to take the Paula Dean Tour. If you take the tour you don't have to stand in line at her restaurant, Lady and Sons and it was a fun tour.
Also I would recommend the live theatre there. The show we saw was excellent, clean and great scenery. It was back to the 50s music.
Also we stayed at the Marriot Surfwatcher condos which were lovely. We had three bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen and living room and it is only 30 minutes to Savannah. We enjoyed shopping at Hilton Head too.
Linda Hunter

venturesome4 Oct 23rd, 2008 06:47 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. I spoke with my sister who has been to Savannah, although some time ago and unencumbered by all the relations, and I think we will still go for it. I just got my Mom a combination walking stick/seat which may help if we drag her too far away from a bench.( hope it works!) Our main object will be to relax and visit since we don't see each other too often and live far apart. The theatre and rooming options all sound great.I have been interested in the Paula Dean tour myself and I know the parents have seen her on television. We will wait a few months to make sure that everyone's health is still good ( Dad was just hospitalized in Germany! is OK though,thank goodness)
Sincerely,
Evelyn

Giovanna Oct 23rd, 2008 08:49 AM

I just happened to remember that at the Telfair Museum we were able to use a wheelchair for a friend with us who has difficulty walking. I'm sure this would be the case in similar places of interest.