Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Savannah Unsafe at Night (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/savannah-unsafe-at-night-413317/)

wanderer Mar 20th, 2004 11:49 AM

Savannah Unsafe at Night

OK, now I have heard from several people that Savannah is unsafe at night (or possibly unsafe), except in the main tourist areas of City Market and River Street.

As we will be at the far end of the Historic District - Jones St. - what options are there for getting to restaurants at night since our B&B does not have dinner available? We will have a car, so we have an option there.

Does Savannah have safe public transport at nihgt - i.e., trolley or bus? Or is cab our only alternative to driving?

If we drive places, how easy is it to navigate, and how is parking?

lyb Mar 20th, 2004 01:08 PM

I found Savannah extremely easy to navigate and get around because their streets are on a grid. It's been a couple of years since I was there, and I don't remember exactly where Jones St is, but all around the Historic District there are restaurants within walking distance. I was there with another female friends and we felt perfectly safe at night. But yes, we did walk around the history area mainly.

KCKrissie Mar 23rd, 2004 06:21 AM

My female friend and I just returned from Savannah two days ago. We stayed in the historic district a number of blocks away from the city market and river street. We never felt unsafe walking at night. We did, however, take a pedicab home from dinner one night. The pedicabs (also called rickshaws) are readily found around the market. We found driving and parking to be quite easy, also.

Brian_in_Charlotte Mar 23rd, 2004 07:18 AM

Looking at Jones St on a map, you're about a mile from Bay Street (the main historic drag) and not in a pretty part of town. I don't scare easily, but I wouldn't walk the route you'll need to at night. Best bet is to use your car to park on the street or splurge for the City Market deck. Or cabs are always available. I'd avoid city buses at night (if they even run late), and there are no trolleys.

Brian_in_Charlotte Mar 23rd, 2004 07:28 AM

Oops, let me clarify that. I took another look at the map and failed to recognize that Jones Street continues east past MLK Blvd. If you're on East Jones St, well east of MLK, you're in much better shape.

wanderer Mar 23rd, 2004 02:57 PM

Now everyone has be more worried.

We are on 121 West Jones St.

What is the City Deck?

Brian_in_Charlotte Mar 24th, 2004 07:27 AM

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the area right around where you're staying. You're clearly not in the center of things, but it could well be a nice area. I personally wouldn't stay there as it's not close enough to all the places we like to go.

City Market has a parking deck that's pretty reasonable if I remember. Or there's a good amount of metered parking right on and just off Bay Street.

OliveOyl Mar 24th, 2004 08:56 AM

Jones St is one of the prettiest of the streets in the historic district, primarily residential (row houses). That address should be a block west of Bull St--a lovely area.

I STILL would be extemely careful walking at night, and would not carry a purse. I am not an alarmist by any means, but as residents we simply did not walk atafter dark--there were &quot;incidents&quot;, even on streets such as busy Bay St. You need to be aware of your surroundings, head to the areas you are dining (City Market or River St usually, and all easy walking distance) without leisurely strolls around between destinations. My health club was 2 blocks from where we lived, and I would return home after dark most every night, but was <i>always</i> sort of on &quot;ready alert&quot; as I did so. The incidents are isolated and mostly things such as purse snatchings--just be aware and be safe.