Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Savannah- to stay or not to stay in the historic district?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all-

Will be spending a Saturday night in June in Savannah... hope to explore it for about 24-36 hours. I'm curious if you think it's worth the money to spend the night in the historic district or if outside of it is ok too.. our budget is about 100 dollars a night. Thank you!
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Tough question since it is difficult to define for someone else "worth it". If it is early June you may run into SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) commencement - so check dates.

If you stay outside Historic District for financial reasons, you should pick one of the many chain hotels in "Midtown" - which is neither mid nor a town - it is several miles of strip malls and every big box and chain restaurant and hotel you can imagine. No atmosphere, but not totally inconvenient and only 50-75% of Historic Distric rates. But you must drive into Historic District.

While I have not been to Savannah in 2 years, prior to that I was there several times/year while son was in school there. According to thread started a few weeks back there are several newer hotels added to the ones already in Historic District. We liked the Hampton Inn (the one on Bay St, not MLK). Others have mentioned several inns.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM

With your limited amount of time & since we're only talking 1 night, I would certainly stay in the Historic area. Everything is easily walkable & you'll not have to fight to find parking.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM

The Holiday Inn Express in the historic district is new (rehabbed older bkdg) and very nice, within walking distance of everything. We liked it better than the Hampton Inn across the st. It is a bit above your budget and parking is extra. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM

I would if you can..since parking to us was limited, we parked in the parking deck at the hotel, and didn't take the car out until we went out to Tybee Island! We walked everywhere else! I would.. especially if you're not staying too long..

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites.. if you are a member of Priority Club you might get your nights free...