Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Savannah to Charelston to Fernandina Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/savannah-to-charelston-to-fernandina-beach-452248/)

eeyorelvr Nov 19th, 2008 06:29 AM

Savannah to Charelston to Fernandina Beach

Right after Christmas my DH and I will be heading to Savannah for 2 nights, then to Charleston for 5 nights and staying in Fernandina Beach on our return trip. I have recieved wonderful information on this website, and have mostly planned my trip around it, but I really don't ever see any resturants listed that are not $25-$30 a meal. While I don't mind spending that for great food, I prefer not to do that everynight, every town seems to have wonderful places to eat that have average $10-$20 prices for great food everywhere....can you help me out? We love all types of food.

We do already have some dinner plans, in Fernandina I think we are leaning towards Beech Street Grill, and while in Charelston it looks lik SNOB and Poogansporch and FIG. No plans yet for Savannah.

SAnParis2 Nov 19th, 2008 07:07 AM

Dining options in Fernandina abound, that is one of the great things about it, + it still remains a nice, quiant atmosphere. Try The Surf for their specials (which are pretty much daily) last time there we had 1lb. lobsters for $6.99. Brett's is especially good for lunch (think soup & salad). La Bodega (again better for lunch) & Joe's 2nd St. Bistro. The selections you've made so far are good ones, btw. For Savannah - The Olde Pink House & if you like Pub food, The 6 Pence Pub.

BetsyinKY Nov 19th, 2008 02:12 PM

Here is my two cents on Charleston. First, I love SNOB and FIG has been on my "must try" list for two years now and I can't ever seem to work it in...but I will! Poogan's Porch, in my opinion, is just ok. Their best meal seems to be their brunch, so if that is going to be one of your "pricier" dinners, then you might want to look into a few more options. They are not in the same league as SNOB and FIG.

There are quite a few places that fall into the $10-$20 (per entree/person) range. Some of the more moderately priced places that I like include Hominy Grill, Sermet's Corner, G & M Fast and French. These are all downtown, although you would need to drive from the Historic District to the Hominy Grill. Since it sounds like you will have a car, other moderate options include the Boulevard Diner and the Mustard Seed in Mt. Pleasant, and Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island is great if you get a hankering for a good burger.

Ackislander Nov 20th, 2008 02:51 AM

Is there a reason why you are starting in the middle (Savannah) driving to the north end (Charleston) then driving past Savannah to the south end (Fernandina Beach)?

All great places, but backtracking is expensive in both gas and time.

padams421 Nov 20th, 2008 05:03 AM

I'm guessing they are coming from Florida.

eeyorelvr Nov 20th, 2008 11:49 AM

BetsyinKY - thanks for the suggestions, although we are staying downtonw in Savannah and Charleston we will have a car, so I will definately check out the places you suggested and drop Poogan's Porch.

SANParis2 - Thanks for the 6 Pence Pub recommendation, it is a place we had yet to hear about, and sounds interesting.

AKislander - we are traveling from Florida, and have been to Savannah for two short visits and loved it, we were given a week in CHarleston as a gift and decieded to stop in Savannah on the way there and just added Fernandina as a quick stop on the way home.

Thanks for the great suggestions, keep them coming, please!