Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Savannah or other last minute trip recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/savannah-or-other-last-minute-trip-recommendations-1660396/)

lobstercraven Nov 15th, 2018 07:28 PM

Savannah or other last minute trip recommendations
 
I'm planning a last minute 5 day trip. Savannah came to mind. What is Savannah like this time of year ? Just looking for good food & shopping and some general sight seeing. Open for other suggestions within a few hour flight from Boston .THANKS

Gretchen Nov 16th, 2018 03:58 AM

I prefer Charleston but you could have a taste of both Savannah and Charleston.

gmoney Nov 16th, 2018 06:30 AM

We love Savannah, been there 5 or 6 times. For 5 days I too would suggest both Charleston and Savannah.

lobstercraven Nov 16th, 2018 06:41 AM


Originally Posted by gmoney (Post 16826132)
We love Savannah, been there 5 or 6 times. For 5 days I too would suggest both Charleston and Savannah.

what airport is the closest. I saw Savannah had their own airport but I'm not sure how many flights from my area go there. Is Atlanta close by? Any suggestions on hotels . I would like to be able to walk from the hotel for as much as possible. Safe area too. No real budget . Thanks

TDudette Nov 16th, 2018 08:25 AM

No help with the airport, lobstercraven.

FYI, here's my TR for a brief Savannah visit--DH and I had been before and taken house and plantation tours. This trip was to scope out Savannah as a place to live:
https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...ryland-878217/
The B&B, Ballastone Inn, was wonderful: https://ballastone.com/

Have a great time and please report back!

gmoney Nov 16th, 2018 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by lobstercraven (Post 16826141)
what airport is the closest. I saw Savannah had their own airport but I'm not sure how many flights from my area go there. Is Atlanta close by? Any suggestions on hotels . I would like to be able to walk from the hotel for as much as possible. Safe area too. No real budget . Thanks

Definitely stay in the historic district. We like the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay street. There are many others on Bay as well such as Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn. For a little more upscale we also loved the Andaz. The Bohemian is also nice with a really cool rooftop bar overlooking the river. We like this area because you can walk to all the craziness on River street as well as the squares of the historic district and City Market. There are also many Inns in Savannah that we have heard are very nice but a little pricey.

lobstercraven Nov 16th, 2018 05:54 PM


Originally Posted by gmoney (Post 16826327)
Definitely stay in the historic district. We like the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay street. There are many others on Bay as well such as Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn. For a little more upscale we also loved the Andaz. The Bohemian is also nice with a really cool rooftop bar overlooking the river. We like this area because you can walk to all the craziness on River street as well as the squares of the historic district and City Market. There are also many Inns in Savannah that we have heard are very nice but a little pricey.

thanks for the tips. We took your advice and we're staying at the andaz

lobstercraven Nov 16th, 2018 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by TDudette (Post 16826208)
No help with the airport, lobstercraven.

FYI, here's my TR for a brief Savannah visit--DH and I had been before and taken house and plantation tours. This trip was to scope out Savannah as a place to live:
https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...ryland-878217/
The B&B, Ballastone Inn, was wonderful: https://ballastone.com/

Have a great time and please report back!

Thanks for sharing

tomfuller Nov 16th, 2018 07:00 PM

If you fly into Jacksonville FL, the Amtrak Silver Meteor leaves JAX about 5PM and arrives in SAV about 7:30PM every day. The coach fare from JAX to SAV is under $40 per adult.

lobstercraven Nov 17th, 2018 04:11 AM


Originally Posted by tomfuller (Post 16826541)
If you fly into Jacksonville FL, the Amtrak Silver Meteor leaves JAX about 5PM and arrives in SAV about 7:30PM every day. The coach fare from JAX to SAV is under $40 per adult.

good info - thanks

Gretchen Nov 17th, 2018 04:17 AM

let's see. The Jax airport is 13 miles from the Amtrak station through the city.

Charleston has an airport also, of course.

lobstercraven Nov 17th, 2018 05:15 PM

We were able to fly into Savannah. Looking for any must see & things to do. Thanks

TDudette Nov 18th, 2018 07:13 AM

Tours of the historic houses were very interesting to us. We had a car and drove to plantations as well. Take a google gander at what to do. 15 best things to see, etc. will give you a good idea. Will you be renting a car? Some folks like to visit nearby islands.

Justing remembering that our first trip coincided with the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"--there were special tours covering the homes that were used in the movie.

lobstercraven Nov 18th, 2018 08:26 AM

Yes we did rent a car

Gretchen Nov 18th, 2018 12:19 PM

Here is a google page of articles from Garden and Gun
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gard...hrome&ie=UTF-8

kathleen Nov 18th, 2018 01:22 PM

You can fly nonstop Boston to Charleston. Both cities are wonderful. You can't go wrong with either one.

gmoney Nov 20th, 2018 06:17 AM


Originally Posted by lobstercraven (Post 16826518)
thanks for the tips. We took your advice and we're staying at the andaz

You will love the Andaz and I hope to read about your trip.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 AM.